Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain APEXi Units?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APEXi Units?

I have quite a few friends with modded cars (although most out of warranty) and many of them have suggested The APEXi AFC unit and/or an APEXi boost controller. I had also been thinking of a turbo timer. The timer is supposed to be a lot better for turbo life and performance. I do tend to drive the car a bit hard once in a while. Ok, more than that :P
I am not sure the boost control is 100% conpatible, but according to the APEXi website it should be. I wouldn't know which one to get, but I'd figure it out.
Links:
http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5347 AFC Unit
http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5351 Timer
http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=6174 Boost Control

Anyone know what may happen to warranty, stock ecu, etc. Will is get a CEL over 5lbs of boost, or less? Will my ECU go haywire? Will my black ox report back to mini that it was modded in case **** hits the fan?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
it will boost cut over so many psi, possibly throw a cel depending on how you set it up, but it will go into limp mode. the turbo timer is useless. the minis oil pump runs after shutdown to cool the turbo if it needs it. so you dont need any of that stuff its all a waste

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
it will boost cut over so many psi, possibly throw a cel depending on how you set it up, but it will go into limp mode. the turbo timer is useless. the minis oil pump runs after shutdown to cool the turbo if it needs it. so you dont need any of that stuff its all a waste
I assumed so much about the CEL
I did not know that about the oil pump, that is quite interesting actually.

Only other thing is that with the AFC unit Air/Fuel ratios can be manipulated. Could be a fun way to play with some performance versus economy. Could possibly figure out my own tunes and whatnot. I think I would definitely enjoy doing that and learning about how it affects the performance. Still not recommended?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:22 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
as far as a turbo timer goes, supposedly there is no need on one of these cars...

There are good explainations why, but i've only heard them on here a few time...
edit: didnt see above well lol

and i dont see how much 'tuning' youll get, as the big dogs cant even seem to get in there properly as it is lol

just seems like a waste of money on these best spent elsewhere

Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Elessar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
it will boost cut over so many psi, possibly throw a cel depending on how you set it up, but it will go into limp mode.
Has anyone tried to install a boost controller on our cars? I think ThumperMCS found that you will only hit limp mode once you are at 27psi, which is far beyond what I would recommend you running.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
and i dont see how much 'tuning' youll get, as the big dogs cant even seem to get in there properly as it is lol
You make a very good point here. Why would I be able to efficiently tune one of these when there are only a few guys in the country that are good at it

Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Elessar
Has anyone tried to install a boost controller on our cars? I think ThumperMCS found that you will only hit limp mode once you are at 27psi, which is far beyond what I would recommend you running.
This is correct...I even have the diagnostic print out from BMW saying that 1875 mBar (~27psi) is the upper boost threshold where it will go into limp mode.

I would think with a boost controller...you would send yourself into limp mode far before you ever managed to get the boost up to 27 psi though. The ECU will fight the boost controller...and in general, car will not be happy.

I would think the ECU would do the same things with AFC, most likely would fight it.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
A turbo timer is not a bad idea. Just cause MINI made it sendcooler oil/coolant through there does not negate the fact that leaving the motor running for a minute or so helps disipate the heat from the turbo. If anything it will ate least hlp from melting the hood scoop.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick clear up - it's not oil cooling the turbo after you shut down. It's water. If you go up by your grill after shutdown you can hear the aux water pump running.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Rowdy
3rd Gear
Yeppers.. listen closely and you'll hear the electric pump spinning and cooling things down. The Mini(BMW) equivalent of idling the car or utilizing a turbo timer. Those engineers arent stupid