Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta CAI, Turbo Inlet and Noisemaker Delete Install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
ToddG5150
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta CAI, Turbo Inlet and Noisemaker Delete Install.

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. I just finished installing an Alta CAI, Alta Turbo Inlet Hose and a Defenders of Speed Noisemaker Delete. Everything went fairly well, but I do have a few questions...

#1 - The turbo inlet hose instructions mention a vacuum leak could occur if the crank case breather hose becomes loose. Would a vacuum leak trigger a check engine light/code? I didn't get any CEL's (other than a warning to set the clock), but is this something I should keep an eye out for?

#2 - I had to remove the brake booster vacuum hose from where it clips onto the fresh air pipe, because the fresh air pipe sits a lot higher when it's attached to the Alta air box shroud, compared to where it attached to the stock airbox. I was afraid to leave it clipped on because of possibly smashing it with the hood, because it set pretty high up. Anyway, just like the paranoia in quesition #1, is it OK to leave this unclipped? Or should I try to find a way to secure it?

#3 - After the install I drove around for about 30 miles or so. When I'm accelerating and really laying into it I begin to hear a second and higher pitched whistle at about 4,000RPM on up. This is in addition to the regular intake sound. I can hear both distinctly. Any idea what that could be? Is it normal?

#4 - Has anyone had to trim the length of their turbo inlet tube down a bit? Specifically where the MAF sensor housing attaches? With the MAF housing and elbow attached to the turbo inlet tube, it overshoots where it should attach to the Alta air box shroud by a good inch or so. And it was hitting it at an angle. I was able to wrestle it into place while my wife secured the elbow clamp onto the shroud. However, after doing this the turbo inlet tube now rubs against the coolant tank. It seems that trimming the inlet tube would alleviate this.

And those are my questions so far. On a side note, the DOS Noisemaker Delete is quite nice. I can definitely tell a difference with the noisemaker gone, especially on the highway.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
A vacuum leak could through a code but, as long as you make sure its tight you should be fine. Whistling could be the turbo spooling but without hearing it I couldn't tell you. The other stuff I am not sure about. I didn't have to do that at all.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 AM
tintman718
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ToddG5150
#1 - The turbo inlet hose instructions mention a vacuum leak could occur if the crank case breather hose becomes loose. Would a vacuum leak trigger a check engine light/code? I didn't get any CEL's (other than a warning to set the clock), but is this something I should keep an eye out for?
If it's a large leak it definitely would. Small leaks won't necessarily throw a could because the ecu will adjust for a lean mixture. You would not notice a rough idle if there was a leak.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM
ToddG5150
Neutral
I took these this morning after taking the elbow tube off the shroud. The more I stare at it the more it looks like the inlet tube needs to be trimmed down, and possibly even trimming the elbow tube at an angle so it meets up with the shroud evenly. Again just wondering if anyone has encountered this or has done the trimming.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
yup they require trimming, alta parts are all like that you need to modify them a little to fit different cars. you cant hurt it by trimming.

the whistling is normal when its at full spool.

the brake booster thing is fine attached on mine, you shouldnt really worry about it.

and i think everything else has been answered

Old 10-26-2009, 04:13 AM
ToddG5150
Neutral
Originally Posted by eg0911
the whistling is normal when its at full spool.
So all CAI's will make that sound then? Or I guess allow that sound to come through. It's amazing how much the stock airbox muted everything.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ToddG5150
So all CAI's will make that sound then? Or I guess allow that sound to come through. It's amazing how much the stock airbox muted everything.
Yup. The airbox is actually called an 'intake muffler' on some of the BMW repair & parts manuals for the R56.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 PM
ToddG5150
Neutral
Cool. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:48 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My turbo inlet rubs on my coolant bottle too. Don't get worried about it. It would take a LOT of miles for it to get a hole from rubbing there.

You will find that when you purchase Alta's cold side boost tube that it will get cuts/holes in it relatively fast. For that reason, many of us recommend the Exhaust Depot boost tubes or Samco. Samco boost tubes are available from www.detroittuned.com

Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Okay... mine also rubs the coolant bottle quite a bit as well. I have about 20,000 miles on my inlet hose, and I think I am seeing some of the metal reinforcements (maybe?) of the inlet hose. Is this a bad sign, or completely normal for a part like this.

But yes, it's true that ALTA parts definitely have some fit and finish issues, hehe.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Ladybug-S
2nd Gear
Hello,

I would be interested in what numbers you are putting down at the wheels after those mods. You have done everything I have plus the Alta Exhaust. I am considering a high flow exhaust system and wondering what difference it will make to the figures.

Have you taken dyno plots?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
I installed an alta turbo inlet hose and old-style Atla CAI today... Everything fits REALLY tight. I bought everything used so I suppose its possible that the previous owners of these parts did not trim them down. My main concern is that my engine seemed to get very hot after I took it for a run with the parts installed. Also the small hard plastic hose that runs on top of the inlet hose seems to sit very high now, compared to how it used to. Maybe im just being a worry wart...

Any input?