Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain best place to get performce parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
clvig
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best place to get performce parts

hi i have an 06 cooper s cab i love it i would like to get some more power i checked out the other forums and saw pulley upgrades intake and exhaust
if anyone could recomend who to get them from would be great i saw alta has a sale and thanks again for any help

Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM
ranczar
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a lot of places around the country that will sell you parts. Since you didn't provide your location, I'll have to assume you're willing to get them from anywhere. I have found that having a plan is more important then where I get my parts. I'm mechanically able, but I didn't really have a plan when I started modding my convertible, so I would suggest calling a few of the vendors (that advertise and support NAM) and tell them what you think you'd like to do with your car. Keep an open mind as you do this, as you might be surprised by what you hear. I can recommend Chad at Detroit Tuned and Jan Bruggeman at Revolution Mini Works. I've met and discussed modifications with each of them, and they're both good guys. However, there are others...tuners and parts suppliers, many with a presence here on NAM. If you don't plan on doing much of the work yourself, your location will come into play; alternately, you may be making new friends of the UPS and FedEx drivers in your neighborhood.

From the two I mentioned I have learned a lot, and now I'm doing things to my car with specific goals in mind, instead of just making changes for the sake of making a change. I've also learned a lot just from reading a lot of the threads on this site. At some point, a lot of the stuff in my head came together as a plan. I think that happened after I had read enough threads to know what I didn't want to do with my car.

Anyway, get your wallet out and prepare to have some fun. Oh, and Welcome to NAM.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
clvig
1st Gear
thank you i am from boston ma i have made some calls most say start with pulley and intake do you agree and what do you think of alta and thanks for you help

Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Alta, M7, CravenSpeed all make good pulleys as well as intakes.
Install shops in Boston area thread
I would also recommend a rear sway bar and a dedicated set of winter tires and a dedicated set of summer tires, preferably something sticky like Dunlop Star Specs or Kuhmo XS.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 10-07-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 PM
ranczar
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your goal is to accelerate faster, then I agree, a smaller pulley and an intake is a good start.

Getting the engine to breath more efficiently is the real goal, and a pulley definitely gets more air moving. Beyond that requires less restriction at each end: intake and exhaust. You can do this in a small way, or a big way. Small (measured in hundreds of $): after market Cold Air Intake, pulley, 1-ball exhaust mod (increases flow.) Big way (measured in thousands of $): CAI, pulley, plugs, injectors, head, cam, header, free flow cat, cat back exhaust. And of course, there are degrees in between. Keep in mind that most of these mods has an effect on the efficiency of the other, and to get the most out of all of them, having the ECU re-tuned is essential.

So accelerating faster is one goal. Don't forget about stopping faster, because that may become necessary. Many have found that with the new power, there will then need to be suspension changes to better hold the car to the road.

So you can see, depending on your goal(s), you're either planning to turn your MINI into a stronger daily driver, or a car for racing on a track. What do you want to do?

As for Alta? I have an Alta 15% reduction pulley and I'm very happy with it.

Happy Motoring

Last edited by ranczar; 10-04-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: opto-cranial adjustment
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I have compiled this list of aftermarket parts sources over the last three years for our MCS that might help

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM
clvig
1st Gear
all of you are great!! thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense to the vendors supporting NAM, but the best place to buy mods is... NAM Marketplace. Lightly used mod parts show up there all the time. Some guys hardly discount them, but with patience, you will find good deals. I will admit that I bought an Alta rear bar new and directly from Alta last week because their sale price was way less than used ones are going for (that's why there are a lot of "new in box" Alta parts on NAM lately, I guess).

Mods that haven't been mentioned yet that are near the top of many lists:
Camber plates (more aggressive front camber - argued to be more important than sway bars)
Rear suspension links (mostly needed for lowered car, or to otherwise adjust rear camber)

electronic doodads:
Brake Pulsar (I love mine, my wife is certain it has saved her at least once)
Easy-up
DICE (i-pod)

Just keep reading NAM. All the info is here to support your budding addiction.