Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Urgent help needed! Alta CAI install on Australian R56?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 AM
frashed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent help needed! Alta CAI install on Australian R56?

Ok, I know this is pretty straight forward - and it has been up to this point.

But I've encountered a big problem. Our R56's (Australian) don't have MAF plugs installed (at least mine doesn't) leaving the two hoses unable to connect???

If you look at page one of this PDF you will see an image which says UNPLUG MAF SENSOR PLUG which is attached to a plastic piece between two hoses - this is what I'm missing. http://www.outmotoring.com/images/how_to/ALT_intake_gen2.pdf

Please help! I'm stuck and can't find anything information regarding installing Alta CAI on Australian R56's?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by frashed

But I've encountered a big problem. Our R56's (Australian) don't have MAF plugs installed (at least mine doesn't) leaving the two hoses unable to connect???

If you look at page one of this PDF you will see an image which says UNPLUG MAF SENSOR PLUG which is attached to a plastic piece between two hoses - this is what I'm missing. http://www.outmotoring.com/images/how_to/ALT_intake_gen2.pdf

Please help! I'm stuck and can't find anything information regarding installing Alta CAI on Australian R56's?

You are right, our minis do not have a MAF. This means the Alta intake which is designed for a MAF will be too short to reach the intake pipe. You need to see if Alta have a adapter piece to suit a MAFless intake or make one up yourself. A section of alloy pipe and a couple of hose clamps should do the trick.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
yes, alta does have that connector, mine is a UK version for Hong Kong. I ordered thru my bro in US and specially requested that connector.....

Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 PM
frashed
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply guys.

I have temporarily attached the hose in reverse so the longer end reaches the existing turbo inlet hose. Since they are the same diameter I have 'tucked' the inlet hose into the alta hose, whilst this works, I think there may be a small leak (unless the Turbo is supposed to sound like a very high pitched whistle).

I understand BMW have this MAF spacer as part of the JCW tuning kit, they couldn't give me a price and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.. but I'm not holding my breath.

I can't find the part or any information on the Alta website..

Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply guys.

I have temporarily attached the hose in reverse so the longer end reaches the existing turbo inlet hose. Since they are the same diameter I have 'tucked' the inlet hose into the alta hose, whilst this works, I think there may be a small leak (unless the Turbo is supposed to sound like a very high pitched whistle).

I understand BMW have this MAF spacer as part of the JCW tuning kit, they couldn't give me a price and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.. but I'm not holding my breath.

I can't find the part or any information on the Alta website..
So it is sucking in unfiltered air, not good.

I have a JCW tuning kit intake and I do not know how that is going to help. It has a plastic section that connects to the lower airbox section and the intake pipe but it bolts to the lower section, you need something that connects using a hose clamp.

I think your best option will be a section of alloy pipe or stainless steel (both could be polished and look very neat). Perhaps a trip to your local performance exhaust should be able to sort it out for you for $30 max, that is what I would do.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Topmini
3rd Gear
guys im gona buy a used alta cai but i want to make sure first that:
a) i still have same power gains as if it were new.
b) what should i be expecting to recieve.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
frashed
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mutley MCS
So it is sucking in unfiltered air, not good.

I have a JCW tuning kit intake and I do not know how that is going to help. It has a plastic section that connects to the lower airbox section and the intake pipe but it bolts to the lower section, you need something that connects using a hose clamp.

I think your best option will be a section of alloy pipe or stainless steel (both could be polished and look very neat). Perhaps a trip to your local performance exhaust should be able to sort it out for you for $30 max, that is what I would do.
It's tucked in and clamped pretty tight, so if there was a leak I would say it would be 95% filtered air - still not acceptable.

In regards to the part I am after refer to part# 13710429383 here:
RealOEM.com BMW R56 Cooper S John Cooper Works Tuningkit. Are you saying this won't be compatible with my original OEM piping (turbo inlet).

Topmini - there's a definite increase in top-end power, my initial reaction was bottom-end power has been sacrificed but after a few days my mind is changing..

Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear

I had the same issue with the DDM intake.
It is very easy.
Go to an exhaust center, manufacturer, and ask him to cut you a small pieace of 20cm max of metal tube , for this diametre, in order to use it to connect these two pieces.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
It's tucked in and clamped pretty tight, so if there was a leak I would say it would be 95% filtered air - still not acceptable.

RealOEM.com BMW R56 Cooper S John Cooper Works Tuningkit. Are you saying this won't be compatible with my original OEM piping (turbo inlet).

Topmini - there's a definite increase in top-end power, my initial reaction was bottom-end power has been sacrificed but after a few days my mind is changing..
The OEM turbo inlet hose on EU/AU spec cars is slightly longer to make up for the fact that we don't have a MAF sensor. It might be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to the JCW rigid turbo inlet hose and get the spacer mentioned above.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
coopman7
3rd Gear
You just need a spacer piece like this : http://www.viper-performance.co.uk/p...%20mm%20joiner

The correct outside diameter you will need the metal joiner pipe to be is 70mm

Old 03-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear

There is no doubt that the part you refer to will fit the OEM intake pipe, I just doubt the other end of it will fit the ALTA pipe. Added to that the end that inserts into the JCW airbox is not reinforced to withstand the clamping force of a hose clamp. In the JCW intake it fits into the airbox and is sealed by a O ring, the mounting is via the flange with two torx screws, no hose clamp. I think you will find the diameter of the section that inserts into the airbox is considerably smaller diameter than a ALTA intake tube.

I am happy to measure mine up so you can compare the outside diameter of the JCW connector to the inside diameter of the ALTA pipe. The other option is if you happen to be in brisbane we can meet up and use mine to see it will fix the issue.

Another problem is can you buy individual JCW compoonents without having previously bought a JCW tuning kit, I was under the impression that you can't.

The OEM turbo inlet hose on EU/AU spec cars is slightly longer to make up for the fact that we don't have a MAF sensor. It might be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to the JCW rigid turbo inlet hose and get the spacer mentioned above.
I just checked the before and after pics of my mini when the JCW tuning kit was fitted and the original airbox - turbo induction pipe is used, no difference in this pipe with the JCW engine kit (it is a soft pipe).

Old 03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
Sorry, im wrong its the airbox that has the extended outlet to make up the space because we have no MAF.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Topmini
3rd Gear
I have the SAME problem, my car is from mexico and i our minis dont have MAF sensor also.

what can we do?
i think alta should make a version for usthe MAFless minis.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ben-Ja-Min
Sorry, im wrong its the airbox that has the extended outlet to make up the space because we have no MAF.
I think the extension to which you refer is actually the part that frashed refered to earlier on. On the standard MCS MAFless airbox it has an extension from the airbox to account for no MAF. As the JCW airbox is used on both MAF and MAFless models, it has a bolt in extension which is the part that Frashed refered to for use on MAFless models. I will check some pics of my pre JCW MCS to confirm this theory when I get home from work tonight.

I still do not think this bit will match up suitably to a ALTA intake as the diameter will be too small. I still think the cheapest option would be a section of SS pipe, cut to suit at an exhaust workshop (they may have to reduce diameter at one end). I have found that the OEM induction pipe will fit over a piece of 3"diameter pipe, although it is a bit tight. The pipe is probably closer to 2 3/4" inside diameter. If the ALTA pipe is 3" diameter then a section of 3" SS or alloy pipe will suit nicely, it will need to be approx 6" long.

As many from australia will know, something that is perhaps US$15, by the time it is converted to AU$ and shipped here will cost more like AU$100. I could get this section of pipe from an exhaust place for less than $20, many will give you an off cut for nothing.

Last edited by Mutley MCS; 03-21-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
I use the MAF spacer from the EU JCW stage 1 kit on my ALTA CAI with the JCW factory turbo inlet hose. It fits fine.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
frashed
1st Gear
Totally understand what you're saying Mutley - decided to go another direction. I have sorted it out by purchasing (locally) an aluminum joiner as Coopman7 suggested - works perfect and cost around $8.00.

For future reference - any Aussie users based in Sydney wanting a fix for this, look no further than Just *** Imports at Kirrawee. They have aluminum piping, silicone hoses as well as hose clamps etc. http://justjap.com/store/home.php

Would be good if ALTA could at least mention this requirement on their website and make it clear what version of the Cooper S does NOT come with a MAF. Sucks when your 90% through and then realise something is wrong.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Totally understand what you're saying Mutley - decided to go another direction. I have sorted it out by purchasing (locally) an aluminum joiner as Coopman7 suggested - works perfect and cost around $8.00.

For future reference - any Aussie users based in Sydney wanting a fix for this, look no further than Just *** Imports at Kirrawee. They have aluminum piping, silicone hoses as well as hose clamps etc. http://justjap.com/store/home.php

Would be good if ALTA could at least mention this requirement on their website and make it clear what version of the Cooper S does NOT come with a MAF. Sucks when your 90% through and then realise something is wrong.
Glad to hear you got it sorted Been there myself and its a massive help when there are companies out their who stock all sorts and sizes of piping and silicone hoses. What do you think of the alta filter ?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear

So glad to hear that you had it sorted out without paying the over the top BMW prices. How much difference has the intake made?