Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mynes/ByteTronik "Remote Tuning" software for R53 - Q & A!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mynes/ByteTronik "Remote Tuning" software for R53 - Q & A!

This post is to provide more updated information on the soon to be release Remote Tuning software for the R53. Updates will be posted in this post as it becomes available.

If you have questions, pls post in here and the Answers to your questions will be updated in Post #2.

Current Update: Working on finalizing the hardware components!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
A description of the software along with FAQ's:

There are two options with the "Remote Tuning" software:
Option 1: Remote tuning without datalogging.
Option 2: Remote tuning WITH datalogging.

If you choose Option 1 (NO Dataloggin), here's how it's going to work:
1. Purchase the tuning package online from Mynes/ByteTronik.
2. On your order, you list all the mods that you have CURRENTLY on your car along with listing some of the crucial variables (i.e. elevation, type of gas used, octane level, humidity levels in your region).
3. Based on the info listed in #2, we will customize a map and send it inside the package.
4. Once you get the package, you install the small software on your laptop, connect to your ECU, download your stock map that's inside your ECU for a back up, then upload the map that was sent over to you.
5. Process is completed.

Option #2 WITH Data-logging:
1. Purchase the remote tuning hardware and software from Mynes/ByteTronik.
2. We will ship the hw/sw to your door.
3. Install the small sw program on your laptop computer (Windows based).
4. Connect the hardware and read out your stock ECU.
5. Make some power runs (either on the street or on the dyno) and log those runs.
6. Email us your stock ECU file along with your "logs" and also provide us a list of mods along with other crucial variable (i.e. elevation, type of gas used, octane level, humidity levels in your region).
7. We then customize your stock ECU file according to your mod list & your data logs.
8. We email the customized file back to you (turn-around time not to exceed 48 hours).
9. You then upload this file into your stock ECU.
10. Process is completed.

***each Datalogging package will include three (3) "remote tune". For instance, if you add a cam to your setup and wants another customized tune; simply log your runs after the cam install, then email us the log file along with your VIN number and the cable ID; we then email you the customized tune for you to upload.***

=======================================
Q: Can I switch maps?
A: Yes. Owner should download a copy of their original ECU ROM from the car before performing any reflashing.

Q: Can I switch maps on the fly?
A: No. That's not an option at this point in time. Once your car is tune, you should NOT be switching maps unless there's a good reason.

Q: What if i need to take my car back into the dealer for service?
A: There are two ways to approach this. If they need to reprogram your ECU, then you can always reprogram the stock ROM back into the ECU so it runs like stock. But if you have an extensive mod list, then running the stock ROM would not make a whole lot of sense b/c you might damage the engine. In that case, simply ask them not to reflash your ECU.

Q: Is it safe to run the 550cc injectors without getting a tune?
A: NO. Doing so can result in engine running super rich and killing your O2 sensors!!!

Q: Can i run the 450cc/550cc Injectors on simple mods like Pulley, intake and exhaust?
A: Yes, as long as you're car is tuned for the bigger injectors?

Q: If my car is tuned for RC 550 injectors, can i switch to the Bosch injectors without a retune?
A: No. The spray and flow patterns are totally different between different injector brands. Doing so can result in poor performance!!!

Q: If i purchase the Tuning hardware without the DATA LOGGING feature, do i get a "canned tune"?
A: Yes. Without actual data from your specific vehicle, the best we can do is a "best-estimated" tuned totally based on your Mod list and your environmental variables.

Q: If i ordered the hardware without the DATA LOGGING feature, can i add this on later?
A: Yes. The feature can be added to your original equipment for a fee.

Q: If i run race gas, do i need a retune?
A: No. You ECU will be smart enough to recognize the higher octane and add timing, thus giving you a little extra power. But if you want to MAXIMIZE the potential of the race gas, then it's best to provide some data logs and get another "custom remote" tune.

Last edited by Mike@Mynes; 03-14-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
british RACING green
3rd Gear
what's the difference in price between the "canned tune" and the tune with data logging?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
^ i second this question

Old 03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes

***each Datalogging package will include three (3) "remote tune". For instance, if you add a cam to your setup and wants another customized tune; simply log your runs after the cam install, then email us the log file along with your VIN number and the cable ID; we then email you the customized tune for you to upload.***
So here is how I am reading this. For a set fee I can have my car tuned with say a pulley, intake and exhaust. If later down the road I add a header I can have it retuned at no additional cost? And then after that if I were to add a cam you could tune it one more time at no additional cost?

Am I getting that right?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by Some Guy
So here is how I am reading this. For a set fee I can have my car tuned with say a pulley, intake and exhaust. If later down the road I add a header I can have it retuned at no additional cost? And then after that if I were to add a cam you could tune it one more time at no additional cost?

Am I getting that right?
You are 100% correct .

Originally Posted by british RACING green
what's the difference in price between the "canned tune" and the tune with data logging?
Pricing will not be availble until the product is ready for release.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
That is awesome, now lets see if you can come up with a competitive price.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent, this is what a lot of people have been waiting for.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Nazrin
4th Gear
WATCH THIS SPACE....

Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
So based on the Q&A thus far, I take it that if I wanted a tune for 93 octane and another for E85 (to maximize the potential) it would count as 2 remote tunes, thus leaving me with only one?

Also, how would this be handled if I were doing a live dyno tune with you? Basically, would there be extra costs associated with the different gas tunes?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM
skillet
6th Gear
Can't wait

Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds great...but figure out how to tune an R56 and you'll have A LOT of happy campers over there too!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
newbs49
Banned
PRICING INFO

Is this only on your website?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
M3NTAL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by newbs49
PRICING INFO
Is this only on your website?
Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes
Pricing will not be availble until the product is ready for release.

Here is your information boss.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Speaking of remote tuning, whatever happened to MTH?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Nazrin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Aeromax
Speaking of remote tuning, whatever happened to MTH?
I think they're still around...but since its a canned tune...more mini drivers want proper custom remote tuning (when it becomes available)

Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 AM
The-Only-One
2nd Gear
Mike@Mynes,

I can find you some (at least 5 to 10) R53 remote tune customers here in Turkey including me We don't have many options here and the ones we have are not so much confidence inspiring

Waiting for pricing info and input from first users (pioneers may be more appropriate)!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by The-Only-One
Mike@Mynes,

I can find you some (at least 5 to 10) R53 remote tune customers here in Turkey including me We don't have many options here and the ones we have are not so much confidence inspiring

Waiting for pricing info and input from first users (pioneers may be more appropriate)!
ah, thanks for the heads up. We are working diligently on the data-logging component. Once that piece is fully tested and operational, then we can start offering the product to the public

cheers.
mike

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
how easy is the software to use? I imagine since you are releasing it to the general public, it must be very simple to obtain data logs, and upload maps?

Also, what kind of promises do you make with the purchase of the tune? What if an owner feels their results are not as impressive as others with similar cars?

Definitely a great idea, especially for those of us that live in parts of the country where tuning sessions never come..

Last edited by MUShadd; 05-06-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
So no mac option at this time?
Sounds like a good thing you go going there.
Neat stuff.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If someone were to buy your package deal on the website, would the remote tuning with data logging be extra? (Add XX to the total)

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Questions for Mynes and Anyone else who can help:

1. Would it be possible to run your software on a MAC after development? Are you looking into it?

2. Is a custom tuned using the Remote Tune WITH Datalogging just as good as having a physical Dyno Tune in person with Mynes? If not, how much performance would you loose?

3. In theory is it possible for me to purchase the hardware and software from the Remote Tune W/ Datalogging package. Log runs in my MINI and receive a custom tune AND then use that same hardware and software to log runs in my friend's MINI and receive a custom tune for that MINI as well?

4. I never had a dyno before or a tune. I live in a area where there's not a Dyno within an 1.5 hour drive. If I opted for a power run...What exactly is a "power run" and is there a way I can screw that up to log incomplete or faulty data?

5. Since I can't run 440cc or higher injectors without a tune...I have to log data with my current set up, specify that I want to install 440cc or higher injectors, receive a custom map and then install the injectors and the map would be set up to run the specified injectors. Is this the correct procedure?

6. Is it possible for us to purchase the hardware elsewhere to upload and download maps and use it with your purchased software? What exactly is the hardware for upload and downloading maps (flash tool?) as well as the hardware to log information from your ECU and could this be purchases else where to save consumers a few bucks?

Last edited by MrCooperS; 05-06-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Nazrin
4th Gear
Its great to know that in the Remote Tuning tool (with Datalogger) comes with 3 free custom tunes.

- Now would it be possible for a customer to choose 1 canned tune + 2 custom tune (instead of the 3 custom tunes)?

Reason is I ask is that once I get the 550cc injectors from Mynes, it needs to be tuned as soon as its installed (as you said, its unsafe to run the 550cc injectors w/o a tune). I think a Canned tune option which also includes trimming the 550cc injectors (upon purchase of the injectors ofcos) is vital cos we dont know when Mynes will be available to custom tune our cars.

Just a suggestion....

Last edited by Nazrin; 05-06-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Once the product is released, then all your questions will be answered. I'll have to let the developers decide what can and can not be done. Don't want to "jump the gun" any further on this one - they are the boss on this one :D

cheers.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM
british RACING green
3rd Gear
how much longer do we have to wait???

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Mynes/ByteTronik "Remote Tuning" software for R53 - Q & A!