Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbo Street MINI 337whp/278tq @ 16PSI

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope to come to Detroit sometime after the weather warms...how is that build coming Tuls?

Sorry for the thread jack...

Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The build is going.... Im just gathering stuff... got my first wiggins clamp for my Bday.. WOOT! Sent out the crank to get checked since it got hit from the #2 bearing starting to go from lack of oil. blah blah blah! :D

Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 AM
PGT
Banned
boost is fun

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
boost is fun
AGREED I will never own another n/a car ever again Boost is addicting bahhhhhh what am I saying you guys know that already ... a guy who made some history with his MINI and is at it again.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Originally Posted by Tüls
The build is going.... Im just gathering stuff... got my first wiggins clamp for my Bday.. WOOT! Sent out the crank to get checked since it got hit from the #2 bearing starting to go from lack of oil. blah blah blah! :D
Great to hear

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Sup people, thanks for the great and interesting thread!! I think anyone would be very surprised at how drivable the car is, its easy to drive in traffic, on ramps frwy streets whatever. The one thing that would be the hardest to overcome is the clutch, its more less an on off switch but Other than that the car drives very normal...I guarantee anyone would be surprised how mild mannered it is and how you can regulate the power But when you hammer it it comes on STRONG from 4K to 8K thats 4000 rpms of insane power!! I gave a buddy a ride who has an evo x with a bunch f mods and his biggest concern was if the car could stop...lol he couldnt believe how hard it pulled and that was with a stock ecu and no tune.

I will post pix of the new setup once I get a chance to take some good pix.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Great to hear it has treated you so well and that we will be seeing more pictures

Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Yeah I still really like this car, usually I would have already sold it and moved on. It just fits so well in the garage next to the Gixer And the look on the viper drivers face when they cant pull on me is PRICELESS!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Can't wait until I can do that in my Mini...if only I have the money laying around...dam being in college...

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by Brain1.0
Yeah I still really like this car, usually I would have already sold it and moved on. It just fits so well in the garage next to the Gixer And the look on the viper drivers face when they cant pull on me is PRICELESS!
From the lady Teminator: "I like your car..." If you decide to sell this car, i want to get first dips

J/k... knowing you, you will NEVER sell this beauty. Long time no talk buddy, hope you're feeling better now that your baby is running stronger than evar

Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
Brian's my HERO Your a great man with an amazing car so keep being amazing and busting viper owners egos.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
haha you know everything is for sale if enough money is offered This car has been with me through some really good times and some not so good. I was just outside sitting in it listening to the radio and motor remembering the good times...I really need to clean it up now, its so neglected :(

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Looking forward to seeing you and the ride at AMVIV this year

Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 AM
scooter3k
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DR FUH

1.6L Engine, stock compression, +0.020 bore
JE Pistons, Carrillo Rods
Stage 3 cylinder head +1.8mm IN/+2.3mm EX
Stock camshaft
Garrett GT3071 Turbo
Custom return type fuel system
Just out of curiosity...why do all the turbo builds that have been popping up lately have garrett turbos? Is there any advantage to a garrett for minis compared to an equally sized turbonetics turbo?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Jaw_F430
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DR FUH

i
the major components of the turbo conversion kit consists of:

garrett GT25-30 series ball bearing turbo
wastegate actuator - internal
sch 10 SS tubular exhaust manifold
3" SS v-band downpipe with flex and adapter to turbo exhaust housing
Idler pulley and bracket
Meziere electric water pump and relay kit, block off plate, water neck, lines, fittings, and aluminum expansion tank
intake and filter assembly
top mount intercooler, 2.5" aluminum tubing, HKS SSBOV, and throttle body adapter plate
550cc injectors
AN lines, fittings, hoses, clamps, brackets, hardware, eletrical, straps, exhaust wrap
custom DME tuning

Cost: $7500
installation time: approx 15-20 hrs (cost not included)
engine modifications required: none

this is a bolt on kit and easily reversible if the end user wishes to return to s/c. powerband is quite different - peak horsepower is similar, but turbo will have much higher torque. from 0-4k, the hp and tq are similar, but from 4-8k, the turbo will have significantly more hp and tq "under the curve"
What sort of horsepower and torque could be achieved with a GT25 turbo? What would be the max boost pressure?

When the £ comes back I could consider going down the turbo route

Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 AM
DR FUH
Banned
Originally Posted by scooter3k
Just out of curiosity...why do all the turbo builds that have been popping up lately have garrett turbos? Is there any advantage to a garrett for minis compared to an equally sized turbonetics turbo?

garrett has a much larger selection of mid frame turbos that are better matched to the 1.6L MINI powerplant. with different journal bearing, ball bearing and multiple housing options, one can easily match the proper turbo to the intended application. in comparing equally sized turbos, i never had problems with either product, however, by design the ball bearing cartridges spool quicker and handle much more stress and vibration than their journal bearing counterparts.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:10 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Is this car going to be at AMVIV? Im excited to see it

Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
Is this car going to be at AMVIV? Im excited to see it
That is the plan.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
cartar452
Banned
Got any pics of the sweet front mount I've been hearing about??

Old 03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
the car is a bit of a mess right now...lol I am cleaning ip up a bit today and will try and click a couple pix. All the new stuff is still raw but will be anodized and polished after amviv.

Last edited by Brain1.0; 03-14-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
Originally Posted by Brain1.0
the car is a bit of a mess right now...lol I am cleaning ip up a bit today and will try and click a couple pix. All the new stuff is still raw but will be anodized and polished after amviv.
RAW is sexy

Old 03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Mini-Morgan
2nd Gear
Hoping for similar numbers from mine below 18psi once its all sorted and Hubie has completed.

Last edited by Mini-Morgan; 03-15-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Wow. I guess I need to check out NAM more regularly....

Good to see you back Brian and Tuls....

To the crowds with questions:
As I have posted before, I have been running my Fuh-designed turbo conversion for exactly 2 years. I have had zero problems from a functionality standpoint. I drive it to work everyday, I take my kids to school. Around town it runs perfectly sedate. Under 4k I can move through traffic and still keep my mileage over 20/gallon.

The ECU is running a default map with an Apexi adjusting the trim to make idle smoother and prevent stalling issues.

I have replaced the UUC clutch and flywheel as those got eaten up in about 18 months. I went to a CM FX600 and it is perfect. Very driveable, smooth engagement and only a bit more pedal pressure than the average aftermarket clutch you would put on a SC'd MINI.

As far as investment, well, I have probably about $20k into the car including the conversion, bottom end, suspension, tuning, interior, ICE, etc. Yeah, a big investment, but worth every penny IMHO. I have my dream car. The only thing I could think of replacing it with would be a GT2 Porsche....I love it that much!

Hubie is the best guy I have EVER dealt with in tuning a car or bike. He is always available. He wants to make you happy and make your car run right. It isn't a design it, sell it, and leave it mentality. 100% support.

Hubie, Mike, and Jay..hoping at the end of May I can leave the baby at the shop to work on the standalone project.....

Peace.
-Joel

Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Mike@Mynes
Banned
Originally Posted by AZMCS
Wow. I guess I need to check out NAM more regularly....

Good to see you back Brian and Tuls....

To the crowds with questions:
As I have posted before, I have been running my Fuh-designed turbo conversion for exactly 2 years. I have had zero problems from a functionality standpoint. I drive it to work everyday, I take my kids to school. Around town it runs perfectly sedate. Under 4k I can move through traffic and still keep my mileage over 20/gallon.

The ECU is running a default map with an Apexi adjusting the trim to make idle smoother and prevent stalling issues.

I have replaced the UUC clutch and flywheel as those got eaten up in about 18 months. I went to a CM FX600 and it is perfect. Very driveable, smooth engagement and only a bit more pedal pressure than the average aftermarket clutch you would put on a SC'd MINI.

As far as investment, well, I have probably about $20k into the car including the conversion, bottom end, suspension, tuning, interior, ICE, etc. Yeah, a big investment, but worth every penny IMHO. I have my dream car. The only thing I could think of replacing it with would be a GT2 Porsche....I love it that much!

Hubie is the best guy I have EVER dealt with in tuning a car or bike. He is always available. He wants to make you happy and make your car run right. It isn't a design it, sell it, and leave it mentality. 100% support.

Hubie, Mike, and Jay..hoping at the end of May I can leave the baby at the shop to work on the standalone project.....

Peace.
-Joel
hey Joel, thanks for the feedback. You are 100% on the good Doctor, he's the best there is... If you are ever down in Phx, bring it by the shop and we'll get it running on the stock ECU 100%. We did that on Kalvin's turbo car and it's been great... he's currently getting a new flywheel and some 'blink' under the hood and will be ready for AMVIV.

What size injectors are you running? brand? Fuel system? I know Hubie has a few designs out there, just trying to narrow it down. Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email anytime

cheers.
mike

Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Mynes
hey Joel, thanks for the feedback. You are 100% on the good Doctor, he's the best there is... If you are ever down in Phx, bring it by the shop and we'll get it running on the stock ECU 100%. We did that on Kalvin's turbo car and it's been great... he's currently getting a new flywheel and some 'blink' under the hood and will be ready for AMVIV.

What size injectors are you running? brand? Fuel system? I know Hubie has a few designs out there, just trying to narrow it down. Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email anytime

cheers.
mike
mike,
running the RC 440's we put in back with the original build. Stage 1 head, GT2871rs, W-2-A FMIC...still need to run the return fuel system and uprated pumps.

I know I should probably go to the Bosch 550's and that is part of the grand plan. In June my wife will be done with work and the kids will be out of school so I can ride the bike every day to work and leave the MINI with you guys for a couple of weeks to sort it all. Def' will be in touch.

-Joel

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Turbo Street MINI 337whp/278tq @ 16PSI