Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Hybrid K03 Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
hold me back please!
30 they told me would be at the least...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This really sounds like a great upgrade.
Turbo mod, larger intercooler and a good tune.
Please keep us informed.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 PM
BEFCo
1st Gear
This thread is great. I have a problem with my car, the reduced engine power light keeps coming on, and the car is out of warranty. The local Mini dealer said my waste gate valve on the turbo needs replacing. But I have to buy a whole new turbo as the part doesn't come separately.
Maybe it's time to upgrade.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
UPDATE

Hey everyone, Ive just got back from one of the most enjoyable drives of my live, and all that happened under 5000rpm....

I got to the garage and the mechanic gave me a massive cheesy grin, saying its all done, ready to go. Fortunately my intake system had arrived today too (ironic or what!) so I had that waiting for me at home. I had to drive home with no intake system on at all, not even the pipe , but luckily it had rained earlier so the air had no dust in it at all, and I was able to drive home safely, that being said I didnt exceed 2000rpm and certainly didnt boost the turbo at all.
Got home and instantly began work on my intake system - which proved to be suprisingly easier than I had planned. Within 45 minutes we had it sorted and the car ticking over nicely, checking for leaks.
I am really proud of the way the intake system looks, its much better than I had hoped and im really chuffed that everything measured up perfectly.
Upon driving the car for the first time with any real meaning, my first impressions were at how different induction sounds.
At 3000rpm there is this immense kick, like nothing I have felt before, and you are thrown to the back of your seat and the induction note completely changes from the usual "sucking" induction noise to a fine "whistle" and the DSC light promptly comes on!
Another run with DSC off proved that the kick at 3000 was only a quarter of what was to come. By 4000rpm I wanted to change gear - my natural instincts were to slow down or stop and my arm kept lurching forward for the gear ****. By 5000rpm I chickened out, and upshifted - being a little worried that my aggresive ECU map would be causing havoc with the A/F ratios and I didnt want to damage anything.
All I can say is that the power delivery of this thing is absolutely ridiculous, much much more so than I had hoped. The neck breaking torque is gone of the stock K03 but the result is that the power curve (at least from 0-5000rpm) is the most progressive thing I have ever felt and the car didnt want to change gear at 5000rpm, it wanted to keep pulling stronger and stronger.
I will be getting this mapped as soon as I can. My ECU map has a safety cut off at 18 psi at the moment so I wont be exceeding that! This turbo is capable of 23-24 psi until redline due to the 360degree thrust bearings. So I wont be getting anything like the 325bhp it is capable of right now, but Im just being careful as to not lean it out, because this turbo at 17psi will be producing so much more air than a stock K03 at 17psi - so im just being careful with it.
Pics of the install :

It almost feels like a VTec engine right now, the 3000rpm point is like a milestone - as soon as you hit that you literally get a kick in the back and the whole car leans backwards and really feel like you're about to take off!
Exhaust note is a little louder too (to be expected!!!!) but nothing serious and really burbles and pops now!! The BOV is the biggrst difference, it sounds totally completely different.

Last edited by futureal33; 06-10-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by futureal33
UPDATE

Hey everyone, Ive just got back from one of the most enjoyable drives of my live, and all that happened under 5000rpm....

I got to the garage and the mechanic gave me a massive cheesy grin, saying its all done, ready to go. Fortunately my intake system had arrived today too (ironic or what!) so I had that waiting for me at home. I had to drive home with no intake system on at all, not even the pipe , but luckily it had rained earlier so the air had no dust in it at all, and I was able to drive home safely, that being said I didnt exceed 2000rpm and certainly didnt boost the turbo at all.
Got home and instantly began work on my intake system - which proved to be suprisingly easier than I had planned. Within 45 minutes we had it sorted and the car ticking over nicely, checking for leaks.
I am really proud of the way the intake system looks, its much better than I had hoped and im really chuffed that everything measured up perfectly.
Upon driving the car for the first time with any real meaning, my first impressions were at how different induction sounds.
At 3000rpm there is this immense kick, like nothing I have felt before, and you are thrown to the back of your seat and the induction note completely changes from the usual "sucking" induction noise to a fine "whistle" and the DSC light promptly comes on!
Another run with DSC off proved that the kick at 3000 was only a quarter of what was to come. By 4000rpm I wanted to change gear - my natural instincts were to slow down or stop and my arm kept lurching forward for the gear ****. By 5000rpm I chickened out, and upshifted - being a little worried that my aggresive ECU map would be causing havoc with the A/F ratios and I didnt want to damage anything.
All I can say is that the power delivery of this thing is absolutely ridiculous, much much more so than I had hoped. The neck breaking torque is gone of the stock K03 but the result is that the power curve (at least from 0-5000rpm) is the most progressive thing I have ever felt and the car didnt want to change gear at 5000rpm, it wanted to keep pulling stronger and stronger.
I will be getting this mapped as soon as I can. My ECU map has a safety cut off at 18 psi at the moment so I wont be exceeding that! This turbo is capable of 23-24 psi until redline due to the 360degree thrust bearings. So I wont be getting anything like the 325bhp it is capable of right now, but Im just being careful as to not lean it out, because this turbo at 17psi will be producing so much more air than a stock K03 at 17psi - so im just being careful with it.
Pics of the install :

It almost feels like a VTec engine right now, the 3000rpm point is like a milestone - as soon as you hit that you literally get a kick in the back and the whole car leans backwards and really feel like you're about to take off!
Exhaust note is a little louder too (to be expected!!!!) but nothing serious and really burbles and pops now!! The BOV is the biggrst difference, it sounds totally completely different.

And the drooling begins...

Can't wait to see numbers man...I love how you said the powerband felt smoother...Well done!! Keep it up!!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXetHW5FI8

This is pre-tune

Does anyone know any good video editting software that doesnt wreck quality? I filmed this on my HD Video Camera and its great, then I put it into Windows Movie Maker to add the titles etc and its murdered the quality - any tips??

Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Quick video:

This is pre-tune

Does anyone know any good video editting software that doesnt wreck quality? I filmed this on my HD Video Camera and its great, then I put it into Windows Movie Maker to add the titles etc and its murdered the quality - any tips??
Wow, 0 to 60 in 5.4 pre-tune? Ridiculous. If you can find a mac, you should try iMovie... Or if you have vista i think there is a Windows Movie Maker HD

Old 06-20-2009, 09:48 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok, I like what I hear here....want one!

Especially if I can get it done as cheap as dtsoccer was telling me it costs....

Keep us updated!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
My car did the same 0-60 with just Alta Intake and Unichip I would expect a faster time. But I know in the long run this thing is going to be a beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-1QRbPE_k

Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Bear in mind yours has the uni-chip
Mine just has the 15psi map on it which isnt at all suited to that turbo!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick video:

This is pre-tune

Does anyone know any good video editing software that doesnt wreck quality? I filmed this on my HD Video Camera and its great, then I put it into Windows Movie Maker to add the titles etc and its murdered the quality - any tips??
You can change the output quality in the drop down menu right before you click create movie. I would send you a screenshot but I'm running Windows 7 RS now and it doesn't have movie maker. I use Corel Video Studio Pro. I'll pm you with the links.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 06-20-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey Nick your PM box is full

Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
Yeah I understand you super turbo mini lol isn't tuned yet. I was just comparing my old Unichip to a bigger turbo without a tune no harm. I can't wait to see what your car does with a tune and some good tires.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Quick video:

This is pre-tune

I'm loving this Futureal!!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Mini-Morgan
2nd Gear
0-60 isnt really a test though is it?? Doesnt say anything for power but a rolling start full throttle in 2nd and 3rd to the limiter would be a massive difference im sure. The 0-100 is a much fairer test on a powerful front wheel drive.

p.s. forgot to say... love the video! Cant wait to see that 0-100 time drop with the extra 6-8psi boost

Old 06-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
As for open mouth turbo's.. don't worry too much about it

coming from a JDM background.. i see ALOT of guys running massive turbo's (eg T-88, GT42R ) stock R32-R34 ran twin T28's from factory

some ppl just put a mesh over the mouth to stop larger objects.. like children and squirrels etc from being sucked in.. depends on the application tho.. don't worry too much about it..

@what boost do u make 225whp?

what rims/tires are you using? LSD?

even on such a poor road surface.. you don't have any wheel spin (didn't see the TCS light)

Last edited by Ottoman_FD3S; 06-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:17 AM
ca$per
6th Gear
yeah... watch out for them children

Old 06-21-2009, 06:23 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Hi res version

Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
dy_xfactor
2nd Gear
Futureal33 thanks for all the updates. I will definitly be following in your foot steps.

D

Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
any news?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
any news?
I saw on another forum he's selling the car and buying a R53

Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I saw on another forum he's selling the car and buying a R53
Now that's the old Jan I remember.

Nothing like throwing a can of gas on the campfire!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Now that's the old Jan I remember.

Nothing like throwing a can of gas on the campfire!

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/66914-post3.html

Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Kev_KB
1st Gear
He actually deleted the post a day or two after posting it. Here's hoping he's changed his mind!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kev_KB
He actually deleted the post a day or two after posting it. Here's hoping he's changed his mind!
REALLY hoping he changed his mind...I was hoping to at least see a tune on that bad boy...hope all is well Futureal!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Hybrid K03 Turbocharger