Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Hybrid K03 Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope

The only thing I have modified is the diameter of the compressor inlet (air filter arm) which needed to be made wider in order to put a larger wheel on.
The exhaust outlet (downpipe connection) remains 100% standard, it has a 5mm larger wheel on it, but the actual connection and shape of it is just the same.
The idea is that it will just bolt straight back on exactly as the stock one would do. The only part I will need is a new air intake arm. if I had gone for a smaller compressor wheel I wouldnt have needed to make the inlet bigger, but obviously I wanted to go as big as I could

Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by futureal33
Nope

The only thing I have modified is the diameter of the compressor inlet (air filter arm) which needed to be made wider in order to put a larger wheel on.
The exhaust outlet (downpipe connection) remains 100% standard, it has a 5mm larger wheel on it, but the actual connection and shape of it is just the same.
The idea is that it will just bolt straight back on exactly as the stock one would do. The only part I will need is a new air intake arm. if I had gone for a smaller compressor wheel I wouldnt have needed to make the inlet bigger, but obviously I wanted to go as big as I could
Fully understood! Very nice man! I can't wait until you get the thing back and dyno it!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
so its not exactly a hybrid....you just slapped a k04 cold side on and made a new intake tube from the maf to the turbo?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eg0911
so its not exactly a hybrid....you just slapped a k04 cold side on and made a new intake tube from the maf to the turbo?
This is what he said earlier on (Below):
In the end we agreed on the follow specification:

Inducer = K04 031 (aka Audi RS6) compressor wheel. 6mm larger than stock and a 3mm deeper fin
Exducer = custom wheel, 5mm larger than stock

They have also modified the turbo shaft, thrust bearings and compressor inlet to be able to cope with the increased amount of pressure. They rate the turbo at being safe for upto 25psi.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Seem's like a hybrid to me?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 AM
eg0911
3rd Gear
hybrid in the turbo world to me has always meant keeping the same housing and changing wheels...the way hybrids came about was to make more power and to keep the same hardware other than the wheels so everything bolts right up and looks identical.

hybrid to me means same cold and hot side with different wheels. o well cheers its a great idea to use a k04 instead of spending the money to put on a disco potato

Old 05-27-2009, 02:41 AM
coopman7
3rd Gear
Once again, you need to go re-read what has been said Both sides of the turbo housing have not been touched, except the compressor inlet which is extremely small. If you dont remove this and make a bigger one then your wasting time and money trying to put bigger wheels in...

The only part of futureals housing which is being 'modified' is the compressor inlet, so basically the actual housing isnt being touched, just the small inlet thus removing the bottle neck in the intake.

What your looking for is someone who is stuffing bigger wheels inside the k03 without removing the tiny compressor inlet which means they wont get as big a wheel inside the compressor side and the bottle neck in the intake will be still there to further reduce the power outputs.

Jproz, Dtsoccer6, Thumpermcs and myself seem to understand what he is saying just fine.

Last edited by coopman7; 05-27-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
If I had a picture I could show you exactly what I mean...

The only part of the housing which is being modified is the compressor inlet (the stub which the air filter hose attaches to) because this is so small and narrow that it presents a severe bottleneck. This has been chopped off and a wider one fitted

Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
hybrid in the turbo world to me has always meant keeping the same housing and changing wheels...the way hybrids came about was to make more power and to keep the same hardware other than the wheels so everything bolts right up and looks identical.

hybrid to me means same cold and hot side with different wheels. o well cheers its a great idea to use a k04 instead of spending the money to put on a disco potato
Why are you trying to put down his efforts? Futureal has done something we can all benefit from on this forum. Keep it up man! Can't wait to see results!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
i am not putting down his efforts. im just confused as to how this would be a hybrid. if someone can make a true k03 hybrid that hold 22psi al the way through the rev range i will be impressed. but as i said hybrids are a great idea and we need to look into them because its a great alternative to a disco potato. i cant wait to see how much horsepower he makes with this turbo setup

Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
futureal33
4th Gear
Ok guys I have taken these pictures to help show what exactly I am doing!

Firstly, the compressor side of things:

Line A shows the compressor wheel which has now been removed and replaced with a larger wheel (off an Audi RS6). To do this they have machined away some of the metal surrounding the turbine wheel (thus making the "wheel hole" larger in order to accomodate the larger wheel)
Line B shows the tiny "stub" which the air filter inlet pipe connects to. This has been chopped off and a larger, wider one has replaced it. This has in turn meant that I need a new air intake pipe. However this also means that the turbo is now able to "suck" a lot more air through the wider pipe so it in effect has become a larger turbo (sort of!!)

Onto the exhaust turbine photo:

The redline shows the turbine wheel - tiny isnt it!! These has also been removed and replaced with a wheel which is 5mm larger than it. Again, to do this they have had to machine some of the surrounding metal away from the wheel to ensure the hole is large enough to accomodate the larger wheel. One thing to bear in mind here (or so I am reliably told!!) is that 5mm may not sound like a massive increase in size.... but you have to consider that these turbos are operating at upto 90,000rpm, so 5mm suddenly becomes quite a bit larger when you consider the speeds it is spinning at!

Every other aspect of the turbo (manifold connection, intercooler connection, oil lines, downpipe connection etc etc) are all 100% as stock and untouched. The ONLY thing which has changed about the physical appearance of the turbo from the outside is that the air intake pipe will now be a custom one rather than the stock rubber one.

If anyone is interested I got these figures from the company who are doing my turbo upgrade:

My Modified (RS6) K03 Hybrid Turbo

Compressor Inducer = 42.46mm
Compressor Exduer = 56.75mm
Turbine Inducer = 51.33mm
Turbine Exducer = 45.65mm

A Garrett GT28RS "Disco Potato" Turbo

Compressor Inducer = 47.2mm
Compressor Exducer = 60mm
Turbine Inducer = 56.75mm
Turbine Exducer = N/A (Couldnt find this information)

So from this you can see that the GT28RS is still larger than the K03 hybrid by around 5mm all around... so that suggests that this K03 hybrid will be just over mid way between a stock maxed out K03 and a GT28RS turbo upgrade....If the GT28RS is capable of flowing 350bhp and people are getting 260bhp from the stock K03 this suggests that this will achieve around the 300-320 mark..... but we will only know for sure when we get this baby mapped

Last edited by futureal33; 05-27-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
So nice!!! Thanks for the pictures and the info, I'm going to pass that along to the guys I'm going to work with!

If the wheels that were replaced are smaller than those, than I can see why the HP numbers on a stock tuned car are not as big as people think they should be! Great information here Futureal! I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU GET MAPPED AND DYNO"D!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coopman7
Jproz, Dtsoccer6, Thumpermcs and myself seem to understand what he is saying just fine.
That is usually how it is coopman!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
To be a part of such an illustrious crew. LOL

Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM
eg0911
3rd Gear
very cool. cant wait to see the final results i bet they will be impressive

Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking forward to the results futureal I'd rather keep the K03 on my spare motor but I've got a disco potato kit for the JCW.

Name:  discopotato.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 05-28-2009, 05:37 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS

Originally Posted by jproz
To be a part of such an illustrious crew. LOL

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Looking forward to the results futureal I'd rather keep the K03 on my spare motor but I've got a disco potato kit for the JCW.

You upgrading the turbo on your JCDub, meaning you already bought it?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Ok guys I have taken these pictures to help show what exactly I am doing!

Firstly, the compressor side of things:

Line A shows the compressor wheel which has now been removed and replaced with a larger wheel (off an Audi RS6). To do this they have machined away some of the metal surrounding the turbine wheel (thus making the "wheel hole" larger in order to accomodate the larger wheel)
Line B shows the tiny "stub" which the air filter inlet pipe connects to. This has been chopped off and a larger, wider one has replaced it. This has in turn meant that I need a new air intake pipe. However this also means that the turbo is now able to "suck" a lot more air through the wider pipe so it in effect has become a larger turbo (sort of!!)

Onto the exhaust turbine photo:

The redline shows the turbine wheel - tiny isnt it!! These has also been removed and replaced with a wheel which is 5mm larger than it. Again, to do this they have had to machine some of the surrounding metal away from the wheel to ensure the hole is large enough to accomodate the larger wheel. One thing to bear in mind here (or so I am reliably told!!) is that 5mm may not sound like a massive increase in size.... but you have to consider that these turbos are operating at upto 90,000rpm, so 5mm suddenly becomes quite a bit larger when you consider the speeds it is spinning at!

Every other aspect of the turbo (manifold connection, intercooler connection, oil lines, downpipe connection etc etc) are all 100% as stock and untouched. The ONLY thing which has changed about the physical appearance of the turbo from the outside is that the air intake pipe will now be a custom one rather than the stock rubber one.

If anyone is interested I got these figures from the company who are doing my turbo upgrade:

My Modified (RS6) K03 Hybrid Turbo

Compressor Inducer = 42.46mm
Compressor Exduer = 56.75mm
Turbine Inducer = 51.33mm
Turbine Exducer = 45.65mm

A Garrett GT28RS "Disco Potato" Turbo

Compressor Inducer = 47.2mm
Compressor Exducer = 60mm
Turbine Inducer = 56.75mm
Turbine Exducer = N/A (Couldnt find this information)

So from this you can see that the GT28RS is still larger than the K03 hybrid by around 5mm all around... so that suggests that this K03 hybrid will be just over mid way between a stock maxed out K03 and a GT28RS turbo upgrade....If the GT28RS is capable of flowing 350bhp and people are getting 260bhp from the stock K03 this suggests that this will achieve around the 300-320 mark..... but we will only know for sure when we get this baby mapped
I would like to ask you if the material that has been chopped off, will jeopardize the reliability of the turbo.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
It was chopped off, but replaced with a bigger inlet. So its not gone, still there, just machined bigger.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
Futureal.. will you have an opportunity to post nice-res pictures (like the ones above) of your turbo when you get it back but prior to it being installed?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:00 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jproz
Futureal.. will you have an opportunity to post nice-res pictures (like the ones above) of your turbo when you get it back but prior to it being installed?
+1

Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
You upgrading the turbo on your JCDub, meaning you already bought it?
The JCDub's arriving in August but I already have the turbo kit. The MCS motor going in my Coop will have this setup.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
The JCDub's arriving in August but I already have the turbo kit. The MCS motor going in my Coop will have this setup.
OXY, thats so sick. Thats going to be a bada$$! I can't wait until you start that conversion! What Garret Turbo did you get?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Did you buy the whole kit from them or just the turbo?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Hybrid K03 Turbocharger