Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW & MINICorsa Overhaul's OctaneGuy's MCS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RMW & MINICorsa Overhaul's OctaneGuy's MCS

So I spent my day yesterday at Church Automotive in Wilmington, CA getting my MINI tuned. Just 2 days ago, I picked him up after 2 weeks out of commission getting the engine block rebuilt. Finally after much waiting, we got the tune and what an amazing experience! Almost a year prior, I had my first tune with Jan on my then lightly modded MCS (Intake, Exhaust, 16% Pulley). Since then, I've added RMW Header, RMW Cam, JCW Injectors, went from 16% to 17% pulley, larger pistons and bored out cylinders, new coilpack, wires, and plugs and a variety of other misc. parts.

Numbers still with the the stock head

222.1HP @ 6513 RPM
197.8TQ @ 5193 RPM

Tuned Mods above yielded
20 HP Gain
16.5 TQ Gain

Main additions were bored out engine block, RMW Header, RMW Cam, JCW Injectors, plus retune. Also went to a stage 1 clutch and replaced stock LSD with OBX LSD.

I probably could have a bit more power now since I had a bad exhaust leak which I got fixed today. The Invidia resonator was actually falling off! I had it replaced with a Magnaflow resonator. My axles are going to need replacing as well. I had them rebuilt to save money but they are still chattering. Anyone thinking of getting used axles, don't, just bite the bullet and buy new.

Driving this new beast is an incredible rush. I'm gonna need new tires often.

Previously before that (Same below + RMW Tune)
202.1HP @ 6866 RPM
181.3TQ @ 3836 RPM

Prevously before tune (Alta Intake, M7 Pulley, Invidia Exhaust)
183.4HP @ 6715 RPM
171.5TQ @ 3760 RPM

AFTER RMW Tune
18.7 HP Increase
9.8 TQ Increase

Future additions will be RMW Head..but I'm completely broke now, so next year sometimes. I wanted to go to the stroker, but just too much cash as well right now.

First Dyno Plot

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very Nice

Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 PM
user 7082082
Banned
Good to hear everything turned out well Richard. Enjoy your healthy Mini with the newly found power. Props to Danny and Jan once again.They both did an amazing job with my Mini a week prior.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!! Well the new clutch, LSD, JCW Fatty steering wheel, Craven SSK, and the power, it just feels unbelievable! I'm afraid my rebuilt axles won't last very long though as they are chattering more and more, just days after the rebuild. And the modified exhaust screams!!! I love it.

Originally Posted by minilites
Very Nice
Originally Posted by COOUUPER S
Good to hear everything turned out well Richard. Enjoy your healthy Mini with the newly found power. Props to Danny and Jan once again.They both did an amazing job with my Mini a week prior.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hubba Hubba. Every blown-up engine has a silver lining.

Enjoy

Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats!!! Now go do some Motoring!!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, those are some healthy numbers! Have fun with your "monster" & try to get at least 10k miles out of a set of tires.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So before with just a 16% pulley, a intake and an exhaust system you were able to pull 180ish before a tune and up to 200 with a tune? Amazing. I never knew the exact numbers but now I'm glad I ordered my alta intake, my helix 17% and doing a one-ball.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM
K5Cruiser
4th Gear
Glad to hear your car got put back together and is making some nice numbers. I was at Danny's shop about a week ago, and your car looked a bit sad all torn apart.

As I read your first post I kept wondering, "Where's the RMW head?", but as you indicated at the end of your post, your situation is very understandable and being experienced by many these days.

Have fun with your new power!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 AM
OctaneGuy
Haha, yeah I know! It's hard! I've also been taking it really easy on the surface streets to keep the noise down, lol. Don't want to attract any more attention that I already do, lol. On the freeway in 5th in the 4-6K range, it's an absolute blast everybody just disappears so quickly!

Originally Posted by Fracky
Wow, those are some healthy numbers! Have fun with your "monster" & try to get at least 10k miles out of a set of tires.
Yep, that's correct. Though I had a fairly strong engine, the tune made a huge noticeable difference. As you can see, in a years time, I did a ton of mods and finished the year off with a retune, so I'm very pleased.

Originally Posted by itsminidrmer
So before with just a 16% pulley, a intake and an exhaust system you were able to pull 180ish before a tune and up to 200 with a tune? Amazing. I never knew the exact numbers but now I'm glad I ordered my alta intake, my helix 17% and doing a one-ball.
Yeah I saw it the week before I picked it up, and it was a sad sight! This whole engine thing wasn't expected. I had already spent $2K weeks earlier for the RMW Header and Cam and other repairs, and probably another $1000 after that for additional repairs, then my engine blew, and everything was done at once---clutch replacement, engine rebuild--all said and done, another $5K or so. I certainly wasn't ready for this, though I'm happy I have my car back and that's it's running better than ever before, yesterday was the first day I was going to lunch and realized I didn't even have a dollar in my wallet, lol. It was sad.

Originally Posted by K5Cruiser
Glad to hear your car got put back together and is making some nice numbers. I was at Danny's shop about a week ago, and your car looked a bit sad all torn apart.

As I read your first post I kept wondering, "Where's the RMW head?", but as you indicated at the end of your post, your situation is very understandable and being experienced by many these days.

Have fun with your new power!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
My blow out was a blessing in disguise as well, mine was finished last thursday. It is better than ever thanks to Jan's bits and pieces . Mine ran around $4k as well. I know how you feel! Now I just need a tune and a dyno so I can share my rebuild experience.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
OctaneGuy
Can't wait to see it! OMG, it's sooo fun, lol. I noticed you had a Magnaflow. I've got the Magnaflow resonator on my Invidia and combined with the RMW Header, OMG it's mean when you stomp on the gas and OEM sounding at partial throttle under laid back acceleration.

Originally Posted by ClintTheMiniOwner
My blow out was a blessing in disguise as well, mine was finished last thursday. It is better than ever thanks to Jan's bits and pieces . Mine ran around $4k as well. I know how you feel! Now I just need a tune and a dyno so I can share my rebuild experience.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Syco R53
3rd Gear
Congrats Richard!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!!! Now I just have to tie a few loose ends, drive it for a few weeks, get a new paint job, and I'll be happy..for 6 months,lol, then I will want more, lol.

Richard

Originally Posted by Syco R53
Congrats Richard!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
We all keep wanting more, it's part of the fun (or of the problem, seeing it from our wallets perspective )

Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 AM
Minitauro
4th Gear
sweet!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 AM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, they finished that quick for you

Old 11-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see your back up and running strong. Those are amazing numbers with the stock head. How much over did they bore it? I was planning on a full blown 1.8L with all the goodies to go along with Rotrex but the economy has forced a hold for now.

Have fun with your new toy .

Longboard

Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM
OctaneGuy
Yes, guess I got connections!

Also I think having Danny's Jeep hostage helped pressure him to get my car done sooner!

Originally Posted by //MZero
wow, they finished that quick for you
Thanks Brian. Yes, I'm quite pleased. Danny was joking that he wanted to trade his car for mine because the engine was so smooth! I believe the block was only bored out enough for the next size piston. Jan said my displacement would be like 1.62L or so.

Jan also said the strength of my engine puts me in the realm of Danny's car which is quite cool. Wonder how much of an improvement the RMW head will add--which won't be for awhile. Besides being broke, I'm anticipating a lot more bills over the next year due to some personal stuff, so we'll see, lol.

I added last week an M7 RAM scoop which I like so far. I bought an OEM scoop for around $60 or so last year, and Classic quoted me almost $100 last week. Not sure if that's list or what. But since it was my second scoop this year, the M7 one should pay for itself. The mounting points are certainly beefier than OEM.

With my RMW header, cam, modified exhaust, stage 1 clutch, rebuilt engine, Wilwood BBKs, Craven speed Short Shifter, and JCW fatty steering wheel---listing all the things that immediately connect me to the car--it handles, accelerates, and stops beautifully. Gonna sign up for my first autocross with the new setup in the next day or so for Qualcomm Stadium in December.

Richard

Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Glad to see your back up and running strong. Those are amazing numbers with the stock head. How much over did they bore it? I was planning on a full blown 1.8L with all the goodies to go along with Rotrex but the economy has forced a hold for now.

Have fun with your new toy .

Longboard