Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 Oil Temp or Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Oil Temp or Oil Pressure Gauge

Been trying to get information on where to tap in for either one of these gauges?

The sending unit for oil temp can not be fitted to the drain plug since the drain plug is on the bottom of the pan, not a good idea!

The OEM oil pressure sender (trigger's the idiot light) is located on the drivers side front of the block. A local shop got an adaptor and T fitting to try to get both sending units to fit (OEM must be used or the ECU get's mad) but there isn't enough room to tighten down the fittings.

Anyone find a place to tap into the motor for oil temp or oil pressure?

There's a thread that talked about this but it went dead before a solution was found.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Has to be a way to do one of these gauges installed!

Cheers!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:46 PM
R56-S
2nd Gear
Bump!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
Location: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
Use the turbos oil feed line on the block, not on the turbo(duh).

Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Exhaust Depot
Use the turbos oil feed line on the block, not on the turbo(duh).
What?

Who mentioned anything about the oil feed line. The pressure sending unit is on the block? There not enough room to get a fitting and both sending units fitted.

If you have a possible solution, please be more forthcoming with your solution.

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
Location: Orlando, my house is in fortlauderdale and im originally from da bronx
Originally Posted by BoomerMCS
What?

Who mentioned anything about the oil feed line. The pressure sending unit is on the block? There not enough room to get a fitting and both sending units fitted.

If you have a possible solution, please be more forthcoming with your solution.

Cheers!

I metioned the oil feed line. The turbos oil feed line comes off the block. Soooo put your T on the turbos oil feed line and wala you have oil pressure reading.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
While like anything on a R56, you have to remove several things to get the task done but it is doable. It depends on the adapter used and the secondary sensor.

A really good dual purpose tap point is the area at the oil cooler at the filter area. I was looking at machining a plate that fits between the two so the stock unit bolts back on and then you have two tap points (pressure and temp). Seen here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=11&fg=30

I have not tackled this issue yet on mine but its next on the list since the ECU/OBDII does see oil pressure signal just its in the extended code set that no one will decode out yet and my shop is offline for overhaul and remodeling ...

Does not really help you out all that much but its some info.

Cheers.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
If you can get to the oil fiter setup, that for sure will be easier than the turbo pressure line i could imagine!

Good suggestion. I though the sending unit on this car was on the oilfilter housing, guess not?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
tapping into the turbo lines is not a good idea and will give different readings than the rest of the engine, especially temp.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by morbius
While like anything on a R56, you have to remove several things to get the task done but it is doable. It depends on the adapter used and the secondary sensor.

A really good dual purpose tap point is the area at the oil cooler at the filter area. I was looking at machining a plate that fits between the two so the stock unit bolts back on and then you have two tap points (pressure and temp). Seen here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=11&fg=30

I have not tackled this issue yet on mine but its next on the list since the ECU/OBDII does see oil pressure signal just its in the extended code set that no one will decode out yet and my shop is offline for overhaul and remodeling ...

Does not really help you out all that much but its some info.

Cheers.
Moribius, thanks. In your write up you state oil cooler, but on the link it shows a heat exchanger item # 4. Is that the point that you are referencing?

Would be very interested if you come up with something. More interested in Oil Pressure but I'll take anything oil related at this point.

Cheers and thanks!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by BoomerMCS
Moribius, thanks. In your write up you state oil cooler, but on the link it shows a heat exchanger item # 4. Is that the point that you are referencing?

Would be very interested if you come up with something. More interested in Oil Pressure but I'll take anything oil related at this point.

Cheers and thanks!
Yes, heat exchanger/oil cooler, same thing basically. The exchanger is using engine coolant to aid in the cooling of the oil. Hence the 4 holes vs 2 in the drawings. I will let everyone know what I come up with. Need to purchase all those parts first to have a bench top working model, not cheap .....

Cheers.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Exhaust Depot
Banned
Originally Posted by morbius
tapping into the turbo lines is not a good idea and will give different readings than the rest of the engine, especially temp.

I know some turbo setups have oil restricters in the oil feed line but its usually towards the turbo end of the line, not sure if the mini has this case? ON the neon srt4 block there is plenty of space to tap a T to the oil feedline and it reads on point and it has no oil restrictor on it. Its a feed not a return and its a good ways from the turbo so its running regular engine temps on it.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
BUMP!!!

Doesn't anyone have suggestions on getting these gauges installed?

Cheers!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 AM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Bump...I cannot believe that NO ONE has solved the oil pressure gauge for R56 issue yet???

Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
BUMP, anything yet? I am getting ready to add a set of gauges to my Clubman. Thanks,

Old 07-18-2009, 06:25 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Craven now makes a Tapeless adapter to accoplish this task. It fits between the block and the factory sender.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php...less-adapter-2

Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
$75.00 for Gen 2 $49.95 for Gen 1. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too Rich for my blood. Just have to wait for someone that wants to sell some product!!!!

Cheers!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
M3This
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Craven now makes a Tapeless adapter to accoplish this task. It fits between the block and the factory sender.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/index.php...less-adapter-2
Just bought this last week. Its the only option out that currently makes sense

Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
AArmadillo
Neutral
I'd rather not have an oil feed into the car's interior. Is anyone planning or know of an electrical solution to the oil pressure gauge issue?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Most gauge manufacturers sell electronic units also -- they use a sending unit in the engine compartment and wire to the gauge.

Here are two:

http://prosportgauges.com/amber_whit...ce_gauges.aspx

http://www.nordskogperformance.net/index.php

Old 07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
gmhl10
3rd Gear
Reviving an old thread...

Man... been searching oil temp sending units for a few hours now and it's looking a bit dismal.
R56 drain plug oil temp adapter seemed like a bust since the plug is located at the bottom of the oil pan and one little speed bump can rip that sucker off and open the signal... or worse... you create an oil leak.

http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm
I've heard these tapless adapters aren't exactly an ideal location for temperature.
So far... it seems to be the only tapless solution if you want oil temperature readings.

Should I just drill into the oil pan?
Is this the best option so far?

BTW... Prosport gauges are AWESOME!
I got some Prosport Halo 52mm gauges on my MR2 and I love 'em!
Cheap, quality, looks very similar to double/triple the price Defi gauges, and Prosport has some excellent customer service and quick shipping.
Also, the back is supposed to be very short and not deep (like the Autometer gauges) so you shouldn't have a problem with install if you used Alta gauge pods. I can't verify that until I get the stuff in though.
Getting another set of Prosport for the MCS.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed an oil pressure and water temperature gauge setup from Craven. They also offer an oil temperature gauge and sending unit.
Here is a link to a thread that talks gauges https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2971432

and a link for the Craven gauges http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...Gauge-Kit.html

I think their a little pricey but they work and look great!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM
AArmadillo
Neutral
here's a link to the one I used and managed to get a pressure and temp guage fitted to it although it was very difficult to install both. It does work and has passed the Dealership test! I've had mine installed for about 12 months now no troubles.
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

Last edited by AArmadillo; 07-13-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: forgot the link!