Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MINI Madness R56 Software Tuning and Performance Packages

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you may be right, im just going from my years in the car buisiness. not mini specific.

Where do you go 130 at???

Old 09-18-2008, 11:24 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I am interested in a ECU flash but it is impossible for me to put my car out of commission for even a few days. Will you be at MOTD in 2009?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 PM
com3tojo3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
all US spec cars except a few, (Porshe, ferrrari, MBZ AMG, and other super cars) are governed to 155
The Mini website used to have the top speed listed at 139 drag limited. Now it say electronically limited. Perhaps this changed? Many cars sold as U.S. spec are not governed to any speed because they simply don't need to be, they are drag-limited. As soon as you start adding power, you can really start to see some crazy high speeds for some pretty normal cars. You just need to find a place to try it out

Last edited by com3tojo3; 09-18-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by callahan00
I am interested in a ECU flash but it is impossible for me to put my car out of commission for even a few days. Will you be at MOTD in 2009?
Wait for a custom tuner to come to your area. Much better results at a cheaper price.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Drag Limited

The 2007 R56 is advertised with a top speed of 139MPH (drag Limited). Any increase in horse power and torque should increase the top speed.

I can neither confirm nor deny whether my R56 has achieved or exceeded the speed of 139MPH.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigshot
Wait for a custom tuner to come to your area. Much better results at a cheaper price.
There are none at the moment.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
chakraj..

Some GOOD backroads... ... Yep!!! Only hit that range once or twice though, it's not like i go that fast often!
Can hit 120's not much trouble though hey! it's a works mini !

Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Hey all!

I have been reading the comments posted and saw people posting numbers on different mods they have. I have yet to post because I have not dyno'd...that was until yesterday. Here is my rundown of the day.

My performance mods consist of a Full 3" Turboback from Alta, Alta FMIC, Alta Boost Tubes, Alta Turbo Inlet Tube, and Alta Cai.

This is also at 93 Octane Fuel, not racing fuel. My SAE numbers on my best run were 179.98WHP and 202.96WTQ. Uncorrected numbers were 189.98WHP and 212.97WTQ. Ultimately, if you did the math to the crank, my SAE would be 215HP and my uncorrected would be 225HP. The dyno doesn't calculate for the HP at the crank, but my dyno guy said you add roughly anywhere from 17 to 20 percent to the WHP number. Inculded was my Air Fuel meter. My dyno guy stated that he would like to see my car running 12s, but I ended up just short in the upper level 11s, dropping off around 5800. These numbers are made without the use of a boost controller and also any kind of ecu tune. And I had a big fan blowing on the overall engine area and then a smaller high speed fan blowing on the FMIC itself. That day it was around 80degrees outside with slight wind. Here are my results.

My question is, do you sell just the tune? If so, how much? Feel free to PM if needed. Thanks!

Last edited by dtsoccer6; 09-18-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Those numbers seem really low....

Or am I missing something?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who don't get it, the only point of raising the rev limit is that you can sometimes avoid an up-shift, thus keeping the power on for an extra fraction of a second before you have to back off for a turn.

This is important only for track and autocross, where occasionally one would like to keep winding it up as an alternative to either letting off or wasting a tenth or two on shifting up.

Raising the rev limit is no improvement in 1/4 mile times unless you avoid an extra up-shift, as the power falls off steeply above the peak torque point, and the shifting would cost you extra time.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
To be honest Thumper, I was a bit disappointed myself, seeing how these parts were suppose to give bigger gains based on what was said. However, I am still overly pleased with the power and speed I have. I not trying to make it some crazy speed demon, however, remember we are only talking about bolt on parts. With this tune they are propsing big numbers, which would really make great gains, and I'm not sayying it is/isn't, but I to am a bit skeptical especially after seeing my dyno results.

In the end, good enough power for me would mean mid 200s to the wheels. That would be more than sufficient for me

Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Hey DT,

get a tune or a chip and you'll see the HP numbers go up a bit and the torque will skyrocket. The chip makes more of a difference than all your mods combined.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
wow, so i'll be seeing real solid numbers than huh?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dtsoccer6
wow, so i'll be seeing real solid numbers than huh?
In theory!

I think this is a prime example of how a sum of parts doesn't add up to the sum each part's horsepower gain. Most people could probably get those numbers with just a turboback+intake. I think some people are even around there stock. The more bolt on parts that you add to the system like you have, the less the gain they will add (in most cases).

However, if you can get a tune that can work well with all of those, your car has the potential to be a beast, it's all set up for it. In my opinion though, that will never come from a canned tune or a UniChip piggyback. You'll still see a good gain with them, but just not the full potential that you could get from a fully custom dyno tune (which doesn't even exist for the R56 at the moment...). I'd enjoy it for now, and hold out a little bit!

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 09-18-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Ya I have a tune plus almost all the mods he has, exept the FMIC, Downpipe, and intercooler tubes, and my car is way fast. but today i drove a bone stock car and it seemed almost as fast as mine. now in a race i think i would kill it. my car has allot more reach. but i feel like the stock intake gives much more low end torque and that makes it feel fast. I have to say i was kind of bummed,

Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
In theory!

IHowever, if you can get a tune that can work well with all of those, your car has the potential to be a beast, it's all set up for it. In my opinion though, that will never come from a canned tune or a UniChip piggyback. You'll still see a good gain with them, but just not the full potential that you could get from a fully custom dyno tune (which doesn't even exist for the R56 at the moment...). I'd enjoy it for now, and hold out a little bit!
hold out if he likes, but alta's canned tune does pretty darn good. My numbers are with only intake and intercooler with the chip.

I'm sure a true tune is the better way to go over a chip - but like you said - you'd need a full custom dyno tune to get a perfect tune - which doesn't exist yet for most people.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
Yeah, I agree with all of you. I was expecting a lot more from the dyno results. Since it was my first time on the dyno for any of my cars, I was overestimating what my numbers were going to be based on the numbers I have seen from graphs and what not. You live and learn, and now I understand what truly makes power. A proper tune including playing with the boost will be a major change over bolt ons anyways.

I will hold out for a tune until spring time anyways, because I live in CT and it would be stupid to buy something with the winter soon approaching. Unless something comes out to really impress me, I'm happy with the power for now. Motormouth, 203WHP must be nice, but I'm looking for something that will tune it to mid 200s at the wheels. Not to say your MINI is at all slow and I'm sure you would like more too, but I'm thinking something along the lines of 235 to 245WHP would be awesome for my spirited driving/track needs...remember, we are talking about a MINI! Even with the numbers I had, my dyno guy came for a ride with me and was totally impressed by what the car could do.

Thanks for the kind words everybody and the great info, its important that people with the experience and knowledge voice their opinions to help drivers who are some what new to this, as I am.

PS - Question for all, I didn't have the sport button pressed, and only realized it as I was driving home. How much better would the results be you think? Or if anything at all?

Also, MINI Madness, do you offer just the tune, minus the parts?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
. Motormouth, 203WHP must be nice, but I'm looking for something that will tune it to mid 200s at the wheels. Not to say your MINI is at all slow and I'm sure you would like more too, but I'm thinking something along the lines of 235 to 245WHP would be awesome for my spirited driving/track needs...remember, we are talking about a MINI!
!
you have to change the turbo itself to get those kind of hp numbers.
our engines are all about the low-mid range torque.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
well since that is no where in question seeing how I have 8600 miles on my car in factory warranty, I guess for now low 200s will due. Perfectly fine with that for now...especially if a proper tune can atleast get it up in the 218 to 225WHP. Possible or also far fetched? Thanks for the tips and not letting me get my hopes to high lol.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear

PS - Question for all, I didn't have the sport button pressed, and only realized it as I was driving home. How much better would the results be you think? Or if anything at all?

Also, MINI Madness, do you offer just the tune, minus the parts?

Thanks!
Sport button should not make a difference, it merely improves the throttle response and steering ratio. One thing though that could have happened was that overboost didnt engage. You have to make sure the dyno operator goes WOT in one quick press and that they don't "roll" into it. Most floor it anyway though, so its not an issue.

well since that is no where in question seeing how I have 8600 miles on my car in factory warranty, I guess for now low 200s will due. Perfectly fine with that for now...especially if a proper tune can atleast get it up in the 218 to 225WHP. Possible or also far fetched? Thanks for the tips and not letting me get my hopes to high lol.
I don't think those numbers are far fetched at all. I've seen them in person on a certain R56....granted the 'custom' tune of the unichip it had was horrible judging by the A:F ratios I saw that it had, but I'd say its totally possible once we get full access to the ECU.

These cars will be little demons with those numbers, the torque would be delicious. Well over 250 ft-lbs to the wheels.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
you have to change the turbo itself to get those kind of hp numbers.
our engines are all about the low-mid range torque.
Again, not true at all. It's completely do-able. And just you wait till this ported/polished head is done that Eddie@1 Fast MINI is working on. I'm sure it will prove to give some good gains and driveability. Madness said they are working on cams as well.... should be very exciting in the next year or so.

I have a feeling this is going be like how the R53's were....everyone used to say it was completely 'un-possible' to get to 200 whp without a head/cam change. As we know today, its so easy to get to 200 whp, I've seen some with just a pulley and custom tune.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 PM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
awesome, thanks for clearing it up Thumper.

There is still hope...haha

Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
And just you wait till this ported/polished head is done that *insert any vendors name* is working on. I'm sure it will prove to give some good gains and driveability.
I'll wait for the dyno results and then i'd like to see how it drives around town in idle and slow speeds.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-Madness
Yes I would say your gains would be similar to our setup and maybe a bit more. Does Alta even sell that unichip anymore? We have heard not so good things about the Unichip's on R56's.
Alta has removed the PnP ECU (UniChip) from their web page, deferred all problem resolution to UniChip and refused to issue refunds. My unit is off the car yet again due to a bad harness. I have no idea how this situation will resolve.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hopper
refused to issue refunds..
really?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
really?
Yep, really. I have spent a LOT of money with Alta and am very disappointed that they would have so little regard for customer satisfaction.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain MINI Madness R56 Software Tuning and Performance Packages