Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Alta boost tube & turbo inlet hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:46 PM
openeyes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta boost tube & turbo inlet hose

For the R56 MCS, are these things really functional, or are they just for show. I know they are bigger tubes and hoses, and they get rid of the bottle necks. but do they really make a difference? In my opinion, i think its just engine dress up. But i could be wrong, I'm open to any comments or opinions. i am debating on whether or not i should buy these parts.

Last edited by openeyes; 05-04-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Not much Diffrent from what i understand on the R53 According to jan

Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 AM
unsalada
3rd Gear
I have the inlet hose I dont think it makes any diference to be honest but I am not 100% sure .

Old 05-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
They were originally designed for show. Adam did not expect power increases, but, when dyno testing on his R56 "Howard", modest increase were noted.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:26 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've dyno'd & tuned a number of big HP turbo kits for the Porsche 993's & 996's, changing out the factory tubes frees up anywhere from 20-40+ hp and depending on the kit, can solve various problems like collapsing oem pipes. Even VW & Audi's with the 1.8t see significant gains w/ similar hose kits and they don't have some stupid factory muffler inline right after the turbo. Like any engine modification, it's going to depend on what else you've already done. Eg, on a stock car gains are likely to be very small, however if you've opened up all the other bottlenecks, like the exhaust, intercooler & airbox, and you've increased the boost, gains are likely to be much larger.
Alta has the dyno charts posted to backup their claimed gains and they explain they've already installed many of their other products. Having taken a look at the oem parts, Altas claims appear quite reasonable. If you had to replace just one, I'd make the boost hose between the turbo and intercooler w/ that muffler the top priority.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
jcap287
School away from MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed some power from just having an Intake to switching out the hoses, so did other ppl I know. It also has a nice growl to it by getting rid of the intercooler muffler.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by openeyes
For the R56 MCS, are these things really functional, or are they just for show. I know they are bigger tubes and hoses, and they get rid of the bottle necks. but do they really make a difference? In my opinion, i think its just engine dress up. But i could be wrong, I'm open to any comments or opinions. i am debating on whether or not i should buy these parts.
Kind of like what was mentioned above we made them first for show, and the results in HP were a HUGE bonus.

On the Inlet Hose You can see the difference in the photo below:

Then also the dyno results as well:

That is SIGNIFICANT gains from just an inlet hose. SO looks great and performs great as well.

Similar story with the boost tubes:

Primary

Secondary:

and again dyno results as well:

Quoted from Jeff Perrin:
"The most important thing we noticed was the increase in boost. When the dyno was launching the car, the starting boost was about1.5psi higher, which this carried across the entire RPM band. Except above 5700. This is where the ECU didn’t like seeing this extra boost. We don’t think it was boost cut as the engine didn’t stop it just lowered the boost. With the smoother, and larger internals of our ALTA hose, it makes sense it makes more power. Now keep in mind this is an entire replacement hose, not just a sleeve to get rid of the silencer. I think a major reason why these make power is because they get rid of the tight restrictive bends, and the larger inside diameter."

Let me know if I can help further. But THAT much gain is well worth it (in my opinion.)

Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
this is for adam or any of the alta go fast guys. are you going to make a tube for the cold side boost tube coming out of the intercooler ? i can see where you can at least make a lil more room there. i was thinking of getting another hard plastic tube from pelican parts and chopping it up and adding some metal tubing and silicone connectors to it. my dads a fabricator so i can have a welder to help with it. i have a few ideas but i need to get some stuff together to do it. you guys have more stuff than i do so make one dude. i do remember in a thread about it being a pita to do so can you guys fill me in.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
this is for adam or any of the alta go fast guys. are you going to make a tube for the cold side boost tube coming out of the intercooler ? i can see where you can at least make a lil more room there. i was thinking of getting another hard plastic tube from pelican parts and chopping it up and adding some metal tubing and silicone connectors to it. my dads a fabricator so i can have a welder to help with it. i have a few ideas but i need to get some stuff together to do it. you guys have more stuff than i do so make one dude. i do remember in a thread about it being a pita to do so can you guys fill me in.
We are working on this as well. Should be a late summer release. more info soon. Thanks as always for asking!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was skeptical as I installed the turbo inlet and boost tubes. Side by side they don't look that significantly different, but I gotta tell ya, I noticed more power without any doubt.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
I was skeptical as I installed the turbo inlet and boost tubes. Side by side they don't look that significantly different, but I gotta tell ya, I noticed more power without any doubt.
PERFECT!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
adam thank you as well . now i dont have to try and fab some kind of monstrosity. can you give a lil more on the time frame.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
adam thank you as well . now i dont have to try and fab some kind of monstrosity. can you give a lil more on the time frame.
Should be REALLY soon. They are in production now, trim fixtures had to be adjusted for the wire, etc. So shouldn't be very long at all. Few weeks ish.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
yessssssssssss