Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Top Tier Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Phillip
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Tier Fuel

It was recommended by a fellow NAMer at the M2C2 run this past weekend that I look at the following site, and couldn't find a post with this site, just the topic. I was surprised at which stations weren't on the list, and which were. All this time, I thought that the Mobil, BP, and Exxon were the better of the fueling choices. turns out I was wrong, and some of the stations I shunned aren't that bad. I am going to one of the listed gas stations next fill up and will check mileage to mileage and ect.... Heres the site:
www.toptiergas.com

Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always used top-tier, just a little added peace of mind.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Phillip
It was recommended by a fellow NAMer at the M2C2 run this past weekend that I look at the following site, and couldn't find a post with this site, just the topic. I was surprised at which stations weren't on the list, and which were. All this time, I thought that the Mobil, BP, and Exxon were the better of the fueling choices. turns out I was wrong, and some of the stations I shunned aren't that bad. I am going to one of the listed gas stations next fill up and will check mileage to mileage and ect.... Heres the site:
www.toptiergas.com
Top Tier gas has been widely discussed here. I don't know that it actually means much though. I had a knocking/detonation issue for awhile and at the time was using Chevron gas. Since then I have switched to Shell and/or Mobil gas and have had no issue. The top tier thing, IMHO is a marketing tool. If you're concerned with injector cleanliness, look into some Redline Injector cleaner.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
jtack
4th Gear
one of the ecu tuners in the phoenix area suggested to me that from his experience shell is the gas he would use...I remember a few times seeing a fuel truck pull up and fill the tanks of a chevron station then drive right down the street and fill the tanks at a mom and pop gas station...same truck, same gas.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
IN THEORY - the only difference is the additives - gasoline is a commodity - comes out of the pipeline and goes on trucks with 10 different logos on the sides... BUT they add small amounts of additive either where they fill the truck, or where they fill the station's tank - and that stuff is the "secret sauce"... but, yes, whether they dump a bit of very concentrated stuff into a whole giant tank (or mix it as it is pumped from the tank), or you pour a bottle of somebody else's "secret sauce" into your tiny tank, it's all the same theory - just matters how good the "sauce" is...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
top tier fuel

I buy Shell V-93 only. njp

Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
"Top Tier" is strictly a marketing program initiated by Quick trip. Years ago a buddy of mine busted this myth but misinformation remains.. Notice how the site is a bit Vague and that Quick Trip is the first on the list? I'm sure if the other repuable Refiners paid the "Dues" they could be on the list too. Don't get sucked in by the hype...

Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
elevenless
Neutral
I personally am wary of any website that does not state "About us" or "Who we are", which the Top Tier site does not appear to do. Who pays for the website and/or certification? In my experience most of the sellers listed on the site have good gas. I personally tend to stick with Shell because I have heard from several sources that they are one of, if not the most environmentally friendly oil companies (somewhat oxymoronic, but I'll choose the lesser evil). I love the great performance of my Mini, and still getting better fuel mileage than most other vehicles on the road.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top Tier is busted.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
All you have to do is do a bit of a search to find out that the car manufacturers were behind this "standard". Here is an explanation at Shell , and Chevron's site.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
geowit
3rd Gear
That's great if you can find a top tier station. Where I live, there's one Shell station in the whole county AND their prices are 20-30 cents a gallon higher than other local providers. As for the others on the list, most of them I have never even seen or heard of.

I use Hess because of a combination of convenience, cost and performance. Locally, the Sunoco stations all sell gasahol crap. I'm very fastidious in recording my fill-ups and I'm seeing an average of 3-4 mpg less on Sunoco compared to the no-name Hess. I realize Sunoco US is not on the list so that must mean that Sunoco Canada sells a different product. Right.

I think it's all marketing bull.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
lucky for me the shell station near me is the cheapest around, especially on tuesdays!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Phillip
3rd Gear
I am starting to see gasahol, and that flex fuel/corn syrup stuff around here. Like someone else said, one shell, and its in another county. Most stations I had heard of, but then I drove a truck over the road for a while. All I really know about gas is that my mileage sucks when its grocery store or wally world gas. but that could be the tanks to...... But the marketting hype, does appear to be there as shells site does show......

Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
twin scroll
2nd Gear
I run BJs gas (93) on a regular basis without any problems and get an average of 33 mpg. I do run a tank of Chevron (93) with an extra bottle of TECHRON every month. wondering what mpg you guys are getting with highway and city combined? Do'nt mean to hi jack the thread sorry !!!!!
"KEEP MOTORING"

Old 02-05-2008, 04:03 PM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
I use Conoco it has that "top tier" rating but more importantly they only sell domestic oil!!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by geowit
That's great if you can find a top tier station. Where I live, there's one Shell station in the whole county AND their prices are 20-30 cents a gallon higher than other local providers. As for the others on the list, most of them I have never even seen or heard of.

I use Hess because of a combination of convenience, cost and performance. Locally, the Sunoco stations all sell gasahol crap. I'm very fastidious in recording my fill-ups and I'm seeing an average of 3-4 mpg less on Sunoco compared to the no-name Hess. I realize Sunoco US is not on the list so that must mean that Sunoco Canada sells a different product. Right.

I think it's all marketing bull.
The lower mpg has to do with the ethanol. We in OR have just been mandated by our wonderful legislature to using 10% ethanol in all grades.

Funny that the car manufacturers were the ones behind this.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Phillip
3rd Gear
No problem on the highjacking twin scroll, I am averaging currently 27 city/highway, with most of that being stop and go morning and evening rush hour traffic.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
I try to use Chevron or Shell also, but typically Chevron around where I live. Mainly because I like gas stations with seperate nozzles for each grade. I don't like somebody else's 1/4 gallon 87 mixing with my 91...:D I know I know...I'm just a Miniac though

Old 02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Phillip
3rd Gear
Well, I am using Chevron at the moment, and added 1 can of sea foam. Mileage is a little bit better, and Trixxie seems to be happier.