Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Clutch and Flywheel opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch and Flywheel opinions

Hey all. My car is getting a new transmission under warranty because it had the dreaded squeak when cold in the morning (see https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=act+flywheel).

While it's being replaced, they will install an aftermarket clutch for me free of charge if I wish. My car will soon be twincharged, so I'm looking to upgrade the clutch and flywheel. Does anybody have an opinion on the best available option? I was thinking of getting the ACT flywheel from MINI Madness, which is in their stage 1 drivetrain kit:
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=78

Does anybody have experience with it? Thanks!

PS: For anyone in South Florida, take your car to VISTA MINI. Ask for Dan. The guy is awesome, and he's taken awesome care of me!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
I just got a call from Hubie. He/Fireballed like the Exedy clutch/flywheel (linked @ http://www.exedyusa.com/race/BH01SD). He told me that it is chrome moly, although the site does not specify. The ACT (Madness) is, too. Any specific feedback about either? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the Exedy Hyper 1 for a while.

The combo of extreme light weight (26 lbs. less than OEM) and apparent indestructability is awesome.

Last edited by hornguys; 01-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
We just got the clutchmaster X300 clutch and flywheel combo from Jan and it is great. Give him a call if you want to get the specifics

Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
i'll tell you right now
unless your S/C whine and exhaust combo are loud as f*** ur gonna get annoyed with the aftermarket clutch and flywheel
the flywheels the evil doer in this forumla, for some reason it makes a very annoying tapping at idle, and at the beginning rpms of each gear, u get a little used to it, but then again i didnt, and it was a pain to go through the whole ordeal of assembly/disasembly three times and a factory clutch and that one cost me around 5K
not fun

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
i'll tell you right now
unless your S/C whine and exhaust combo are loud as f*** ur gonna get annoyed with the aftermarket clutch and flywheel
the flywheels the evil doer in this forumla, for some reason it makes a very annoying tapping at idle, and at the beginning rpms of each gear, u get a little used to it, but then again i didnt, and it was a pain to go through the whole ordeal of assembly/disasembly three times and a factory clutch and that one cost me around 5K
not fun
Which clutch/flywheel did you have this problem with?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Ours does sound different, but we haven't noticed any loud annoying noise. We were warned of this, but with all of the bushings changed to powerflex and a obx header/ magnaflow exhaust combo, we really didn't think it would matter. We're very pleased. It took a little getting used to at first (the lack of clutch play), but now it is a blast to drive.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Trickle X
5th Gear
I had the spec stuff in at first.....it wasnt that loud or annoying...but I needed something stronger so I went with the dual disk Clutchmasters. I have not driven it yet as I am not done with the conversion, but soon.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
its one of those personal things

i did notice the rattle at idle with the clutch out (clutchmaster FX300 and Fidanza flywheel) but it wasn't anything extremely annoying, i just turn up the volume!

although i am embarassed to say the stage 3 clutch is making hillstart difficult

Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Bump. Anyone got any experience with the Mini Madness XACT flywheel?

Last edited by ingsoc; 01-16-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
newbs49
Banned
Dr.O just got one installed in MC2 mag.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Any rattling is the result of not getting a portion of the clutch plate/flywheel sprung. Just pair it up properly and you shouldn't have problems.

- Matt

Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
I pulled the trigger on the ACT flywheel (it's their Streetlite series) and stage 3 SPEC clutch from Madness. I'll post a review when I get it together . Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:17 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Which clutch/flywheel did you have this problem with?
It was the "heavy-duty street" clutch from RMW
I believe it was the x200, it was a kevlar clutch with a metal backing and i got the combo with the flywheel, all after this happened to my MINI:

Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
...all after this happened to my MINI:

I do say, a LOT of fun was potentially had in doing THAT!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
wow, how did you do that?

i would like to point out that its not really the flywheel that makes the nooise, its its the clutch disc. The cooper has a solid flywheel, and yes, you can hear the clutch more in it than in a cooper s. Kyriians car doesnt make any more noise than my stock coopers flywheel/clutch, so i wouldnt worry about it. The rattleing in the springs in the clutch disc. Is OEM parts, the make an effort to not have the rattle around, but in high performance applications, they dont care so much, so dont go out of their way to stop the rattle. If you pick up sprung hub clutch discs and shake them, some rattle, some dont. It mostly comes down to manufaturer. Some of them will also develop the rattle over time, but its nothing to worry about, and you really dont notice the noise if you dont listen for it. I dont even notice the vibration and buzzing from my semi-solid motor mount anymore....

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
yea that was the result of an attempted burnout when i didnt know how to turn off the traction control so when i let em loose and the ecu tried to stop me i dumped the clutch again and then let it out a bit
this resulted in me thinking i was getting friction from tires/road but it was in fact the clutch that was resisting being that it was about half out b/c i thought i was fooling the ecu,
but that taught me to never listen to my dumb friends suggestions

and that was reinforced after i spent 5K and two weeks going through the clutchmaster clutch from rmw and then back to factory

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
CM FX300 with LWF FTW! Seriously, you'll love the combo... least I do. Yes, you will get more tranny noise since the stock one is designed to dampen a lot of the vibration coming from the motor, but all in all it's really a great setup. I honestly would never want to go back to the stock configuration after having gone this route... the motor is just so much more responsive... makes rev-matching and heel-toeing so much easier. But I do understand it's not for everyone... it's just something you'd have to experience for yourself and determine if that's the route you want to go... I wholeheartedly recommend it, though.

GotMINI

Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
miniturtle
1st Gear
Aftermarket Clutch

Originally Posted by ingsoc
Hey all. My car is getting a new transmission under warranty because it had the dreaded squeak when cold in the morning (see https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=act+flywheel).

While it's being replaced, they will install an aftermarket clutch for me free of charge if I wish. My car will soon be twincharged, so I'm looking to upgrade the clutch and flywheel. Does anybody have an opinion on the best available option? I was thinking of getting the ACT flywheel from MINI Madness, which is in their stage 1 drivetrain kit:
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=78

Does anybody have experience with it? Thanks!

PS: For anyone in South Florida, take your car to VISTA MINI. Ask for Dan. The guy is awesome, and he's taken awesome care of me!

My clutch may be covered under warranty, would it be foolish of me to not buy an after market clutch while the labor is covered? I don't have any power mods yet, but do plan on light work like a pulley, CAI, and exhaust sometime in the near future. I just have a hard time spending 900 on something that would be covered under warranty, unless the labor savings are that great of a deal. What do y'all think?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Would you recommend a CM X100 or X200 combo with lightweight flywheel for a mainly public road use?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniturtle
My clutch may be covered under warranty, would it be foolish of me to not buy an after market clutch while the labor is covered? I don't have any power mods yet, but do plan on light work like a pulley, CAI, and exhaust sometime in the near future. I just have a hard time spending 900 on something that would be covered under warranty, unless the labor savings are that great of a deal. What do y'all think?
Stock is great unless you have at least an aftermarket head...