Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pulley slipping on the shaft? Try this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulley slipping on the shaft? Try this...

Before doing anything expensive, such as replacing the supercharger () try this first.

I had some slipping with my pulley, and I was certain it wasn't the belt because I had already swapped to a Gatorback which was meant for a 17/19% (I have a 15%), as well as a new tensioner. The sound I was getting was upon acceleration, the supercharger would rapidly change pitch up and down, like a warbling sound almost. I first attributed this to loose bolts, and tightened them up with a 4mm allen key. This remedy worked for a matter of maybe a month, but after a while it got to the point where I could no longer get any more tightness out of the bolts, and the pulley was slipping quite badly. So, when I managed to find time to inspect everything, I lifted the engine, pulled off the pulley, and inspected everything. It indeed looked like the pulley was slipping on the shaft, and not the belt. There hardly appeared to be any shaft damage either, which was my worst fear.

My solution? After talking to some friends who are knowledgable with automotive fabrication, I decided to slather the bolts and s/c shaft in red loctite, which is supposed to be "permenant". I just took the car out for a spin, and what was a really bad pulley slip, has been cured, at least for the 5 minutes I just drove it for. On sunday I'll be taking the car on a 3 hour trip, so I will report if the problem is still cured, or not.

Moral of the story- don't assume the worst! "Expensive" problems may be cured with cheap solutions.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeromax
Before doing anything expensive, such as replacing the supercharger () try this first.

I had some slipping with my pulley, and I was certain it wasn't the belt because I had already swapped to a Gatorback which was meant for a 17/19% (I have a 15%), as well as a new tensioner. The sound I was getting was upon acceleration, the supercharger would rapidly change pitch up and down, like a warbling sound almost. I first attributed this to loose bolts, and tightened them up with a 4mm allen key. This remedy worked for a matter of maybe a month, but after a while it got to the point where I could no longer get any more tightness out of the bolts, and the pulley was slipping quite badly. So, when I managed to find time to inspect everything, I lifted the engine, pulled off the pulley, and inspected everything. It indeed looked like the pulley was slipping on the shaft, and not the belt. There hardly appeared to be any shaft damage either, which was my worst fear.

My solution? After talking to some friends who are knowledgable with automotive fabrication, I decided to slather the bolts and s/c shaft in red loctite, which is supposed to be "permenant". I just took the car out for a spin, and what was a really bad pulley slip, has been cured, at least for the 5 minutes I just drove it for. On sunday I'll be taking the car on a 3 hour trip, so I will report if the problem is still cured, or not.

Moral of the story- don't assume the worst! "Expensive" problems may be cured with cheap solutions.
I'd rather not "slather" anything automotive, parts wise. Seems to be treating the symptoms to me, not the problem. But awesome all the same that it fixed it.

- Matt

Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Couldn't you also weld the pulley on somehow?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
I'd rather not "slather" anything automotive, parts wise. Seems to be treating the symptoms to me, not the problem. But awesome all the same that it fixed it.

Possibly, but what's my alternative?

- Matt
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Couldn't you also weld the pulley on somehow?

If the loctite doesn't work, my next resort may be to have my friend tack-weld the pulley to the shaft.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Alternative wise, I think I would have started with measuring the actual size of your supercharger shaft...regardless of being that far out of warranty, if you were far enough out of spec to have a pulley not fit, it seems like something that should be covered.

Aside from that and considering the stock pulley was working, I would wonder if the pulley you installed (assuming you didn't try a replacement/swap) was of the right dimensions.

Like I said, slathering something in Loc-Tite doesn't strike me as the best of solutions. You made a good point about "what's my alternative;" at least for me, I would make sure everything else was hunky-dory first...then again if it was, I would imagine you wouldn't be having this problem.

Again, just me. I'm particular. Glad it's working though.

- Matt

Last edited by verveAbsolut; 12-28-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Trying to convey neutral dialogue is so damn difficult over text!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Mr Skurvy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut
Alternative wise, I think I would have started with measuring the actual size of your supercharger shaft...regardless of being that far out of warranty, if you were far enough out of spec to have a pulley not fit, it seems like something that should be covered.

Aside from that and considering the stock pulley was working, I would wonder if the pulley you installed (assuming you didn't try a replacement/swap) was of the right dimensions.

Like I said, slathering something in Loc-Tite doesn't strike me as the best of solutions. You made a good point about "what's my alternative;" at least for me, I would make sure everything else was hunky-dory first...then again if it was, I would imagine you wouldn't be having this problem.

Again, just me. I'm particular. Glad it's working though.

- Matt
I agree with Matt.
An alternative to red loc-tite and warranty would be to swell the SC Shaft. How do you do that???

This is permanent and what I would consider the last course of action before replacing the SC...

Take a sharp center punch & hammer and in a equal fashion make dimples on the shaft. Might start out with a total of 4 dimples. This will give your pulley something to bite on and will swell the SC shaft a little.
When I worked in the electric motor repair industry this is a common method in lieu of sending something to be machined back to a .003" fit.

added: The main problem you have is something is worn or wrong spec to be a good tight fit. This method will, to some extent, correct the fit issue...

Last edited by Mr Skurvy; 12-29-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
If this solves your problem great HOWEVER there are tons of cars running after market pulleys with lots of mileage on them as well as different levels of HP AND seldom do you hear about pulley slippage. The common factor on all these cars are the SC shaft, the different factor is pulley brand.

I would contact your pulley vendor / manufacturer and let them know of your problem. At the same time the question of who installed it may come up.

For this reason, I recommend to many of the newbies here to purchase the pulley from a local vendor and have them install it. Something goes wrong then there should be no questions asked.

How long have you had the pulley? How many miles on it?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
The pulley went on in august, and the problems didn't appear until November. The only thing I can think of is that the bolts worked loose, it slipped, and every time that happened it just compounded the problem to the point where I could no longer get any tightness out of it.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Glad you got the problem fixed. But check that the shaft hasn't been "machined" by the pulley slipping on it. If that has happened I strongly believe it will happen more and cause more damage. If that is the case, our V 2.0 Pulley will work GREAT on damaged shafts, shafts that have been pulled or pushed, etc. etc. Let me know if I can ever help in the future! Good luck.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The Loctite solution is actualy appropriate, but you used the wrong "color", they make a Loctite for just this situation but it's "green", and it has the name shaft lock. It's made for this situation, for worn shafts to get the inner race of a bearing to lock to the shaft. The red stuff might work just fine, tho....if the shaft is worn too far it will loosen up again..........

Old 12-29-2007, 04:20 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have media blasted shafts and bearing housings on vintage cars bike and VERY unobtanium vehicle mating surfaces.

With GREAT outcome ..this is similar to the one sugestion of dimpiling ...

Some machinests actually call this GROWING
Locktite also make a solution called CYLINDRICAL BONDING something.

I have used this on 2 stroke race engins that were "spinning" the main bearing (bearing spining in the case housing) and each time it has fixed tie issue !

I have also installed some of the alts v2 pullys and their range of grip is more than others ...

Old 12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
kapps
6th Gear
I agree with the others. First, you don't want to add any extra unbalanced material (be it weld or loctite compound) on a shaft spinning at 18k rpm. Loctite is better than weld but still not desirable. If the v.2 pulley has better grip, I'd go for it. If you need to use loctite, they make a 620 high temp retaining compound that looks like it would fit the bill.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kapps
I agree with the others. First, you don't want to add any extra unbalanced material (be it weld or loctite compound) on a shaft spinning at 18k rpm. Loctite is better than weld but still not desirable. If the v.2 pulley has better grip, I'd go for it. If you need to use loctite, they make a 620 high temp retaining compound that looks like it would fit the bill.
The V2.0 REALLY does have more grip! I can't remember the difference in torque needed to break the Classic loose vs. the V 2.0 but like 10-15 times, sounds right to me. I will ask Jeff when he comes back.

The ALTA V 2.0 Pulley can be a REAL lifesaver for people with mis aligned, damaged or nicked shafts.

Thanks again folks! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Heh, just stumbled over my old thread.... I am pleased to say that almost 5 months after the fact, the red loctite solution is working just as it was back in december. No slipping. I may have used the wrong "color", but red was all I could find and if the problem ever resurfaces, green will be next.