Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 AM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, all these pictures of people having them are making me want it more and more and i just wanted to hear what it owuld sound like too.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
mini07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWO QUESTIONS REGARDING COLD AIR INTAKE

Hi Adam,

Installed the Alta cold air intake on my R56-S.

1- Noticed that the plastic AIR CHANNEL (accordion like) that connects to the NOISE GENERATOR on the back of the engine and below of the ALTA AIR BOX SHROUD got disconnected from the hole where it connects to the firewall, because of the down pressure the shroud exerts on it. Is the contact between these two parts ( the shroud and the air channel ) normal ?? Should I get rid of the AIR CHANNEL ??

2- Don't understand the following instruction : Remove the firewall trim panel allowing for pressurized cool air from the WINDOW scoop to enter the intake. Should it read the windshield scoop instead of the window ?? Please clarify for me.

Tks mini07
PD. Count me in for that GAUGES POD you are talking about.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
mini07: 1) Try loosening the bolts that secure the air shroud and move it a bit forward. There should not be further incident. If so call me and I can walk you through the concerns.

2)Someone in proof reading is a moron and used the R53 intake verbage as a template and failed to remove that line. So ignore!

Keep you posted on the gauges!

Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 AM
usman88
1st Gear
Hey Alta,

Are you guys planning on developing a Positive Steering Response System for the r56, and if so, how much and when?

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
usman88: Yes for sure and ASAP!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
ALTA, will there be a catback exhaust for the Clubman released? Are you guys starting to look at that; I realize it will depend on getting a car which won't happen for a while...

thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
ferrarimanf355
1st Gear
Hi, I really like the JCW Challenge car seen here...
http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/08/...jcw-challenge/
... and I'm assuming that this is going to be the basis for the JCW stage 2 kit. However, I don't want to wait that long for the stage 2. If I get the stage 1 kit, what would be the best way to get the extra 21 horsepower on the stage 2? I'm thinking it would be the boost tubes, FMIC, and intercooler air diverter. Would that do the trick?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
cooldaddy: Thanks for asking. Clubman is on order and as soon as it arrives we will be making parts for it as well. No delay. For more info on our plans for the Clubman check out today's WhiteRoof Radio Podcast here!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
ferrarimanF355: Those would certainly help a bunch. Throw the DownPipe in AMP-EXT-140 and you should hit your mark no problem! Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:48 PM
algorex
Neutral
Engine heat...?

Hello Alta,

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but does your R56 Intercooler diverter make any difference to the overall engine compartment temperature? My MCS seems to run hotter than any car that I have ever owned and would be thrilled if your part could help lower the heat.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Old 09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
algorex: Thanks for asking. No the ALTA diverter doesn't increase the underhood heat. But if you have an early build R56 you may have a blocked hood scoop. It is best to remove that one or dremel out some holes. That will help remove air from the engine bay. It is crucial NOT to block off the air flow from that scoop, with or without any ALTA upgrades. You may be able to argue to your dealer to replace it under warranty as MINI has noted the problem and thus opened it up on later models. Let us know if we can help in anyway further!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Adam I know you mentioned this to me before in regards to the CAI.
The later models came with the "opened" scoop can you elaborate what it look like. Did it just have a few extra holes open or is it a completely opened scoop now?

Also I noticed you started carrying some JCW gear. Are you going to be offering the Strut Tower Bar too?
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
algorex: Thanks for asking. No the ALTA diverter doesn't increase the underhood heat. But if you have an early build R56 you may have a blocked hood scoop. It is best to remove that one or dremel out some holes. That will help remove air from the engine bay. It is crucial NOT to block off the air flow from that scoop, with or without any ALTA upgrades. You may be able to argue to your dealer to replace it under warranty as MINI has noted the problem and thus opened it up on later models. Let us know if we can help in anyway further!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SEAL6
Adam I know you mentioned this to me before in regards to the CAI.
The later models came with the "opened" scoop can you elaborate what it look like. Did it just have a few extra holes open or is it a completely opened scoop now?

Also I noticed you started carrying some JCW gear. Are you going to be offering the Strut Tower Bar too?
On mine, like every other column of holes is opened.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
ferrarimanf355
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
ferrarimanF355: Those would certainly help a bunch. Throw the DownPipe in AMP-EXT-140 and you should hit your mark no problem! Thanks!
... but is the downpipe street legal in CA? How about some underdrive pulleys, are you guys going to make some of those for the R56? And when is the short shifter for the R56 going to be available with the shift **** adapter? I want to use it with the JCW shift ****.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
ferrarimanf355: The shifter IS now available with the **** adapter. Sorry it isn't shown online. Same price, call to order! The DP is NOT legal in CA at this time. It has CARB approved catalysts but not for this application. Weird I know. Pulleys are coming soon! Thanks again for the post. Let me know how we can help further!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
ferrarimanf355
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
ferrarimanf355: The shifter IS now available with the **** adapter. Sorry it isn't shown online. Same price, call to order! The DP is NOT legal in CA at this time. It has CARB approved catalysts but not for this application. Weird I know. Pulleys are coming soon! Thanks again for the post. Let me know how we can help further!
Nah, I have no further questions at this time. Oh, it would be kinda helpful if Alta added a wish list function to their website. I'm just sayin'.
Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Consider my wish list my e-mail addy: adam@altaminiperformance.com We LOVE the suggestions etc. I try VERY hard to answer each and every e-mail that hits my in box. The only exceptions are those that mistakenly get filed in my junk folder without my knowledge.

Thanks again folks!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM
scott48
6th Gear
When will the gauges with pods be on the website and go on sale? And what gauge combos will we be able to get?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Should be shown on the website later this week or next. They are boost/egt, boost/water, and boost and/oil temp for the first "kits" other options will be available shortly thereafter. Hope that helps! Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Should be shown on the website later this week or next. They are boost/egt, boost/water, and boost and/oil temp for the first "kits" other options will be available shortly thereafter. Hope that helps! Thanks again!
Yeeeeeeeeesssssssssss!!! And so once they're on the site, that's when I'll be able to order, or can I do it sooner? What combo would you recommend?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
I recommend the boost and EGT for the turbo cars. Both are good monitors of engine performance etc. The orders can be taken as soon as the photos etc are up, order will ship ASAP. (I can get exact information at that time.)

Kepe me posted Scott on how I can help you!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 PM
scott48
6th Gear
New front mount intercooler looks sweet!!! Might have to get one after the gauges and ecu tune:~)

Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
SWEET! Full announcement coming soon!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Adam will you guys be offering the JCW Strut Brace for purchase?
Also I'm very intersted in going with Alta's rear sway bar (during Tech day at GPi later this month). But after reading up in the suspension section about the potential squeak issues...is there anything we can do to resolve that...say teflon coated tape or bushings, I just don't want to have to continously coat and recoat the bushings with grease to band-aid the issue.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scott48
New front mount intercooler looks sweet!!! Might have to get one after the gauges and ecu tune:~)
Scott you thinking 3rd party ECU upgrade?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA™ Q&A thread PART TWO 2nd Generation MINI