Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

ICE is nice!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Sundown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just used Ice this weekend on my 06 CRMCS, I am convinced and will keep using it about once a month, I will also do the full bit about once a year, but unlike anyone else here it seems, I will be using Mothers California Gold as a base coat.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ is that the wax that comes with their claybar kit? if so, i think i have
that little bottle somewhere... or mightve tossed it.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:14 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
I have started using the Ice a lot more. I bought an orange micro fiber wash mit from Target. I put the ice in a spray bottle and spray a little on the mit, it doesn't take much. Then I wipe the whole car down, minus the windows, with the ice. I then got over it quickly with a dry micro fiber to get most of it off. Then I go over it once more with a new miro fiber for the final detail wipe down. It only takes about 15 minutes. When I am done I seal the mit in a zip lock bag to keep it moist. It seems to look better everytime I do it.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:23 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to share a pic of my car. I've used ICE twice on it, and use the ICE detailer in between washes. (Car gets washed once a week.)

ICE seems pretty nice to me!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
ICE is very NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Love the stuff!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:57 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
anne- are those reflective stars real or did you put them in afterwards?

looks good, very shiny.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenchan
anne- are those reflective stars real or did you put them in afterwards?

looks good, very shiny.
They do look too good to be real, but I honestly didn't do anything to the photo.

The ICE just makes my car so shiny that it almost hurts to look straight at it! You gotta wear shades.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Sundown
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
^ is that the wax that comes with their claybar kit? if so, i think i have
that little bottle somewhere... or mightve tossed it.
If you are talking about Mothers, it is paste and comes in a flat can, full of carnuba.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
"Iced" mine yesterday and after using this stuff for 6 months now, I still love it!!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
I spent a few hours yesterday working on my folks car - washed, clayed, nxt then ice. It won't be touched, with the exception of a laser washings every now and then, until I get down to see them in a few months. It'll be nice to see how it holds up to the trip and the FL sun.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Ice ice baby!!!

It's almost midnight I just finished detailing my car with ice. I first clayed it, then hand polished then iced. I was gonna taken a pic outdoors but it's gonna rain tomorrow and I have to run some errands. Go figure.

Mucho big pic: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ta/500/ice.jpg

Put on 3 coats with an extra on the boot area. This has got to be the easiest product I've ever used. I even put it on all the plastic trim. My wheel arches never looked better . This stuff better last a long time.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:43 PM
hellsredsled
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CynMini
I waxed my car with Turtle Wax ICE today. This stuff works really good. It's a little expensive but the whole bottle will last at least 30 wax jobs. It's easy to use and only took about 15 minutes to wax the whole car. And the best part, it actually makes the black trim look good and leaves no white residue!

What are you doing to prep the paint b4 ICE?

Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Nice reflection Funk_Flex

Here is my Iced beauty after the latest detail session. No claying this time, just a wash and another coat on top of the last one............

Not bad for a 4 year old car with 113,000 miles, is it?

Old 10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
If the weather forecast is correct tomorrow will probably be my last detailing session until spring. I'm going to wash then clay for the first time ever, then use a coat of the Mother's wax that comes with the clay followed by 2 or 3 coats of Ice to finish. Hopefully this will be enough to protect the paint through it's first Vermont winter.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
If the weather forecast is correct tomorrow will probably be my last detailing session until spring. I'm going to wash then clay for the first time ever, then use a coat of the Mother's wax that comes with the clay followed by 2 or 3 coats of Ice to finish. Hopefully this will be enough to protect the paint through it's first Vermont winter.
I need to prep my MINI for the winter and after reading this thread I feel like going out to buy some ICE. I was going to wash with Meguiar's Gold Class, dry, claybar with the Meguiar's Quik Clay (my first time claying!), and then do a wax with NXT... Should I finish with ICE?

Winter already came and my boot is covered with salt residue and I want to protect my MINI for the rest of the winter... Do you think the NXT and ICE will last?

Old 12-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
I use the Ice more as a top coat that can easily be renewed then a long term protectant. For that duty the NXT or Mothers will work as good as anything else.

Chimera - good luck with the VT winter and if you see any of my brothers say high

Old 12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Smokey
I use the Ice more as a top coat that can easily be renewed then a long term protectant. For that duty the NXT or Mothers will work as good as anything else.

Chimera - good luck with the VT winter and if you see any of my brothers say high
Thanks! I'm doing the detailing process on Sunday because it's supposed to be +4*C (which is the warmest for the next few weeks...!). I'll post about how it goes!!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought both the ICE wax/polish and the ICE clay/cleaner. After washing both my wife's Accord and my MINI, I used the clay/cleaner first. This was the EASIEST claying I have ever done. The product got all of the left over bird crap stains, tree sap residue and buildup off with minimal effort. I then waxed both cars with 2 coats in about 50 minutes and the shine on both was superb. I love that I did not have to use my painter's tape this time and the trim looks like it does when I use Back to Black by Mother's. I will guage the longevity of the ICE shine, but so far I can see myself using no other detailing product.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear

note the cones in the paint! 42,000 miles.

claybar is the next for my womans car. I use ice on my dads car, a 997 GT3.

Last edited by El_Griton; 05-23-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:30 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Yep, bottle says Liquid Polish or ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish
But the back of the packaging says in the second sentence that ICE Synthetic Liquid Wax is..... Last paragraph also says that you can easily wax..

Every manufacturer defines wax/polish differently. Meguiar's defines waxes as something that protects while polishes are used to add gloss or might include paint cleaners that also remove swirls, as a combo polish/paint cleaner for removing swirls and adding gloss. They also have a pure polish which has no paint cleaning or swirl removing capability, and offers no protection. It's just for looks for a short period of time.

It seems that Turtle Wax is calling their Liquid Ice Polish a Wax as well as polish.

Richard
so, if I
1. use the ICE Liquid Clay
2. than use the ICE Liquid Polish/Wax
do i still need to use a sealant/wax?
if so, what would you suggest on top of the ICE product?
thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
If you're looking to use clay to do what it's supposed to do--create a smooth as brand new glass paint surface that is ready for polishing and waxing, then don't even bother with Ice Liquid Clay Bar. It's a really a shame, they would confuse customers by selling a polish with some clay materials and call it Liquid Clay Bar.

It's no where near as as effective as real clay bar, and offers none of the claimed benefits that it says on the box.

But to answer your question, I believe ICE is sold as a quick detailer or a polish/wax--so no you wouldn't need a sealant after it.

ICE is a stand alone product---if you're looking to put something on top of it--then I don't think you shouldn't be even using ICE. ICE was meant for people who just want to put a wax on their car fast and with minimal effort. It's easy to use--put it over the painted areas as well as plastic trim. It doesn't last long, but it's easy.

Originally Posted by pray4dirt
so, if I
1. use the ICE Liquid Clay
2. than use the ICE Liquid Polish/Wax
do i still need to use a sealant/wax?
if so, what would you suggest on top of the ICE product?
thanks

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Just used it on my JB cooper and it's sweeeet!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:40 AM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
can you use Klasse SG after using ICE Polish?

I think that the ICE Polish actually has some wax in it so that may be a problem.

New expert advice.
thanks