Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Bumper 'rash' repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bumper 'rash' repairs

Folks,

I've picked up a few pumper rashes that are inevitable for city cars. Yet it's starting to bug me. Any advise on repair options short of re-spraying the entire bumper?

TIA,
alex

Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Outside of repairing it, maybe throw a bumper sticker on it. It is way past just the clear coat so not much IMO can be done other then repairing it.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 PM
'Roy Vernon Zumwalt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats all you can do, remove the bumper and take it to dealership for repair/painting. Always dealership, never side collision place, they cant match paint right.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
gimme a break

dealerships don't mix paint, not to mention most don't have a body shop or paint booth

all you need is the color code .... then today's auto paint suppliers can mix the paint in any quantity needed. You can get a bottle of t/up goop, a rattle can or gallons of spray.

This COULD be repaired as a spot repair and blended in ... OR the entire bumper could be redone. There is a trade off.

The spot repair uses less material, but requires more skill and there is extra labor time in the blending.

The complete respray uses more materials, and the labor to remove the bumper or extra prep time even if done in place.

I've done this b4 and would feel comfortable doing this level of work in my garage.

here's my Miata fender I repainted in my garage
Name:  100_0022.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  128.7 KB
Name:  100_0027.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  115.8 KB
95 Miata plastic bumper paint fade is a different issue!

but 4OP, if you REALLY want to get this done, visit a couple of body shops and ask how much AND how will they do it . . .

note that a pint of red paint can cost over $100 b4 anything else is figured into the equation

(I helped out as a HS auto shop teacher for a while .....)

Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With that little spot to repair I would do a spot repair and blend it in.. I just did the corner of my bumper and had about $45 in supplies.. If that.. lol

Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
With that little spot to repair I would do a spot repair and blend it in.. I just did the corner of my bumper and had about $45 in supplies.. If that.. lol
Thanks to everyone for feedback.

Zippy S - how exactly did you do it? Any DIY instructions on the web to follow?

TIA,
alex

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
you can find videos about 'blending' on youtube . . . do note that blending is an art and getting it perfect the first time is unlikely. I tell newbies to paint the entire panel .... altho higher in material cost, the outcome is usually better.

for rattlecan quantities of paint I recommend

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I've used them many times and their color matching is very good - PAY ATTENTION to the instructions about how to apply. You are using correct two part paint system here - base coat + clear coat - PAY ATTENTION to the time between coats and the time between the color and the clear. This is IMPORTANT for the bond between the products.

++ for the record, the color that fades the worst is probably red (followed by green). Paint mixed correctly by the code is the ORIGINAL color .... if you have fade the color may look off. Best to spray a test card to be sure . . . ++

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-05-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Hey Alex, Im sorry but I don't have a step by step process on repairing your bumper rash.. And as it was mentioned by others it does take a bit of art to master it.. Ive done body work for some years now..But youtube does have some good videos to check out..then you can see if this is something you want to try to tackle.. I have had color mixed into a rattle can and that does seem to work very well for small areas like what you have..basically its a good way to do touch-ups.. Color match can be a bit tricky as well.. But the place I get all my paint from uses my paint code and then also they scan the area im painting to check for fading..then they mix the paint to the area to be painted.. It basically takes out the problem of color matching..or at least helps keep it to a minimum... If you have any questions please feel free to ask.. Ive only touched on a few points here.. But it never hurts to try things..but also stay with in your means!! good luck

Old 05-05-2013, 07:23 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know where you are located but go to one of your larger auto dealers and ask their service manager who they use for lot touch up, this is what I do for a living and to repair that would cost you $125 and take about 1 1/2 hrs.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 'Roy Vernon Zumwalt
thats all you can do, remove the bumper and take it to dealership for repair/painting. Always dealership, never side collision place, they cant match paint right.
I'm sorry but I can not that is not correct, most dealerships don't do their own body work, they use a preferred auto body shop,same as PDR( paintless dent repair) they have someone come over and do it for them as well as some other stuff (safelite)

Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by docv
I don't know where you are located but go to one of your larger auto dealers and ask their service manager who they use for lot touch up, this is what I do for a living and to repair that would cost you $125 and take about 1 1/2 hrs.
Thanks guys.
I will ask around and figure out what it costs to repair (either touch-up or complete bumper repaint). Will let you know how it goes.

a