DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

MINI of Towson - $5K GP markup

Old 10-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI of Towson - $5K GP markup

I understand that MINI of Towson attempted to mark up their allotted GPs by $5000.

Pure greed - it's disgusting. I hope they have a very hard time selling at that price, but something tells me that someone will buy anyway.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:11 PM
ignote
5th Gear
I'll be up there Monday picking up my car after getting service. I'll check the stickers on their GPs while I'm there.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by ignote
I'll be up there Monday picking up my car after getting service. I'll check the stickers on their GPs while I'm there.
The window sticker might not be adjusted, I'm not sure about that. Believe me though, they're trying... I have seen unequivocal proof of it. I'm not one to start false rumors.

I'm sure some of the other dealers around the country have done the same - especially in California.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:40 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting how all these "sold out" GPs are showing up unsold.

Hmm MINI ... more marketing hype?

Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by chows4us
Interesting how all these "sold out" GPs are showing up unsold.
Maybe some of them are unsold because the people who ordered them are unexpectedly getting slapped with the mark-up?

Old 10-28-2006, 02:47 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Maybe some of them are unsold because the people who ordered them are unexpectedly getting slapped with the mark-up?
If they did that, if they signed a contract, they should take them to court. That's like bait and switch or whatever its called.

No, I think its more like MINI "has" sold all the cars ... to dealers. and that is what they mean by "sold out". That is exactly what they did and said with the MC40s. Its total marketing hype.

BTW, what about here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=82851
NAM vendor asking for more?

I can see if someone couldn't come up with the money, the dealer may be stuck,.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=82938 another one

I'm guessing the cars are sold to the dealers. Now sitting on the dealer's lot and they are losing interest. Now they have to make up the interest walking out the door every month so the have to increase the price ... although $5K is just greed.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:50 PM
FeedBack
5th Gear
It never ceases to amaze me how we on NAM are so quick to to start talking smack about about **** that we have no knowledge of!

It matters not that this is an international audience we speak to when we start tossing around terms like "bait and switch", "unexpectedly getting slapped with the mark-up" and " Pure greed - it's disgusting".

Working in order; Bait and Switch is a term that doesn't even apply. If you saw an advertised special for an MC at a specific price and when you came in to buy it they told you it was no longer available BUT they could get you into a similarly equipped MCS for only a few dollars more, then that would be Bait and Switch.

"Unexpectedly getting slapped with the mark-up"; If I call from Hawaii and say to the MA, "Hey, I understand you have one of the only GP's left for sale in the country... How much is it?". The MA says $4x,xxx.xx, Out the door! I give him a credit card deposit and say I'll fly in next Monday. On Monday, I arrive and sit down to sign my papers... Do you think he's going to say at that point "it'll be 5,000 more than I told you on the phone?" I'd be the idiot for not getting the absolute cost upfront and shame on me! Is that what you are accusing them of????

"Pure greed - it's disgusting"... What sort of holier than thou BS is this? Are you a car dealer? Are you in retail or wholesale sales? What are the flooring costs for a GP? How long has the dealer had it on the lot making payments? Did they by it from another dealers unsold stock at retail hoping to provide a highly sought after model to their client base? Is the dealer not allowed to make a profit? Do you like to have the promotional support dealers give our clubs? How about loaners in the service dept? Without profit, these go away.

BTW- All those GP's used in MTTS will (if not already have) probably appear in the marketplace.

Play Nice!

[I am not a dealer, MA, SA, bottle washer, custodian, comedian, Nuclear Physicist, etc......) I just like my MINI and think that overall, they do a pretty nice job...... Look at Ford, GM and Chrysler????

Old 10-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by FeedBack
It never ceases to amaze me how we on NAM are so quick to to start talking smack about about **** that we have no knowledge of!
Let me put it this way...

I DO have some knowledge on this specific matter. I know for a fact that a person who had planned to buy a GP from MoT was very surprised to be presented with a price over MSRP... so much so that the person even went looking at other dealerships (probably too late by this point) to avoid paying the mark-up. I will also firmly believe that any case of markup over MSRP for any new mass-produced product (415 nationwide is not really a tiny number) is greedy AND disgusting. That is my opinion, and I am entitled to it... and it WILL be expressed. Disagree with me if you must, I don't care. News flash - MSRP ALREADY INCLUDES DEALER PROFIT!

I don't know that a contract was signed prior, and this may not be illegal. What probably happened is that someone put their name on the list, including a deposit, but they didn't sign a final price agreement... so while the dealer may be within their legal right to do this, I still consider it unethical.

I did NOT make up the existance of the markup, I saw VERY SPECIFIC EVIDENCE of it, but I will not go into details on the matter in a public forum, since I have too much respect for the person that showed me to reveal it.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Working in order; Bait and Switch is a term that doesn't even apply. If you saw an advertised special for an MC at a specific price and when you came in to buy it they told you it was no longer available BUT they could get you into a similarly equipped MCS for only a few dollars more, then that would be Bait and Switch.

I said

That's like bait and switch or whatever its called.

If I put a deposit down thinking the price $31K, The car arrrives and now you tell me its $36K then you ARE telling me the $31K car is NOT available but only a $36K car.

That is bait and switch. You baited me in thinking its one price and when it was time to buy, you tell me its another price.

As to the rest ... As Edge said, MSRP INCLUDES profit. Yes, it is America, land of free enterprise. If they can get more money, more power to them just as Shelby Cobras are selling for $30K over MSRP.

However, the longer they sit in lots, the dealers will get the message you can't switch prices ... just because the dealer has to suck up costs because they bought the car from MINIUSA ... tough. You bought it, you own it, and now YOU can't sell it because no one wants it ... at that price.

The free market will sort it out. If ppl are willing to pay an extra $5K they will sell. I'm going to bet they end up dumping the cars at a loss.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:02 AM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Oh well...they can keep that thing

Old 10-29-2006, 01:18 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
I'm going to bet they end up dumping the cars at a loss.
And I wish I could get it for that loss. I KNOW Jay wants one so badly...But alas, 5K over or 5K under, still can't afford 3 car payments, and a mortgage! But a gal can wish can't she?

Old 10-29-2006, 02:51 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
This thread has a few at msrp:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=82724

I found the listing below on another site:

"Jackie Cooper MINI has a 2006 MINI Cooper S John Cooper Works GP available. The number on this GP is 0491.
The asking price for this GP is $33,650. Please call 405-755-3600 (toll free 800-299-3600)"

Old 10-29-2006, 05:39 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
If I put a deposit down thinking the price $31K, The car arrrives and now you tell me its $36K then you ARE telling me the $31K car is NOT available but only a $36K car.

That is bait and switch. You baited me in thinking its one price and when it was time to buy, you tell me its another price.

Hey, If they did that to you, accepting a deposit and giving you a price that the deposit applied towards, then by all means go after them. They must have given you a quote and receipt for the deposit that you can use as evidence. There exist legal penalties that apply and you may be able to get the price knocked down at the least. I'd say go for it!

More info is available at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm.

The free market will sort it out. If ppl are willing to pay an extra $5K they will sell.
I agree with you 100% on this!

Having said all this....

If these are the actual details of the transaction; and an actual deposit was made; and someone in this exchange actually has 1st hand knowledge of all the facts; then I'm glad these posts were made.

If not, then I still say that dealer bashing is too easy to engage in from behind anonymous names on a web BBS. Whether its sales or service issues, we've all gotten frustrated at one time or another and told 5 or 10 of our friends how we feel that "we got screwed". Human emotion plays a big part in this, including the urge for revenge.... Like, " I'll tell everyone on NAM how I got screwed"! I don't think thats the best way to deal with it, but we are just human. What I don't accept is the 5 or 10 others that heard the emotion charged version of the facts "as told", posting their version on NAM! Usually swearing to the facts but not producing one shred of substantive detail, ie. dollar amounts, names, dates, etc.

If my posting this has offended anyone, I'm sorry but I have been a participant in online communities since the late seventies, have run BBS systems since 1987 and strongly feel that there must be some sort of etiquitte observed if an online community is to last. Being polite and factual are traits that all (most) us us learn at a very early age.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
If my posting this has offended anyone, I'm sorry but I have been a participant in online communities since the late seventies, have run BBS systems since 1987 and strongly feel that there must be some sort of etiquitte observed if an online community is to last. Being polite and factual are traits that all (most) us us learn at a very early age.
Technically your correct according to the FTC definitions but its still shady.

I doubt anyone is offended, debates occur all the time on NAM Etiquette is observed. Mods here do a good job in applying the guidelines and "respect" is one of them

Old 10-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniNurse
And I wish I could get it for that loss. I KNOW Jay wants one so badly...But alas, 5K over or 5K under, still can't afford 3 car payments, and a mortgage! But a gal can wish can't she?
Get Jay working at McDonalds so you guys can afford that 3rd car payment

Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Get Jay working at McDonalds so you guys can afford that 3rd car payment
Yea, right I would never work at a FF place. I hardly even eat there. Plus, I am over qualified, I have a high school diploma and no Green Card

Old 10-29-2006, 07:36 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
if youve ever seent he GP carbon fiber wing in person, it would be worth the extra 5k

Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
if youve ever seent he GP carbon fiber wing in person......
if you've ever felt "the push" of the GP carbon fiber wing at > 90 mph .... sweeeeeeeet !!!

Proud owner of these two Little Ones

Old 10-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JustJAY
Yea, right I would never work at a FF place. I hardly even eat there. Plus, I am over qualified, I have a high school diploma and no Green Card
I could get you a job at a superfresh . They start at $7.00 an hour (or aboutt that depending which store your at.)

Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 AM
ignote
5th Gear
I sure would like to have a GP. But, I can't see paying 31K + for a MINI no matter how much I like them. Now if I was filthy rich.......

Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 AM
1996 328ti
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ignote
I sure would like to have a GP. But, I can't see paying 31K + for a MINI no matter how much I like them. Now if I was filthy rich.......
Unless a GP is going to see lots of track time, I can't justify it.
For another 10K I'd get an Elise.
Marking up is nothing new. I remember the 1990 Miatas were marked up.
Of course if you signed a contract that is a different story.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
Unless a GP is going to see lots of track time, I can't justify it.
For another 10K I'd get an Elise.
$10K? I bet you can get a "new" or near new 05 right now for about 35K.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:30 AM
jjtricket
2nd Gear
Lets see: no xenons, no leather, no harmon, no back seat, no sunroof, no way for $31150 plus!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Having said all this....

If these are the actual details of the transaction; and an actual deposit was made; and someone in this exchange actually has 1st hand knowledge of all the facts; then I'm glad these posts were made.

If not, then I still say that dealer bashing is too easy to engage in from behind anonymous names on a web BBS.
Enough already, FeedBack. Please, quit the doubt. Let me make this 100% clear - I'd stake my entire NAM reputation on this because:
  1. I saw documented paper evidence regarding the markup in question.
  2. The individual I spoke to gave me a first-hand account about the intended buyer's disappointment at the markup.
  3. The intended buyer spoke to my contact about all of this because they were hoping to be able to find another GP at MSRP (as a result of the Towson markup).
  4. My contact, at one time, was very much in a position to be able to help the intended buyer, but this late in the game, less so, as most GPs are spoken for.
  5. I do not know for a fact if the intended buyer had put a deposit down on the GP in question when they were announced. That detail was not discussed with my contact, and I never claimed to know it was the case. I think it's a reasonable assumption that the intended buyer had though, to guarantee the slot. Even if it isn't the case, a $5K markup over MSRP is still disgusting, IMO.
Is that clear enough for you? This is not conjecture, opinion, or spiteful negativity being spouted at MoT without cause. As a matter of fact, MoT has the best overall record in the DC area for MINI service. I have held them in high regard for a long time now... and I still do, for service. I'm just a bit disgusted at their sales team, after this incident.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MINI of Towson - $5K GP markup