DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

MINI of Towson - $5K GP markup

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom line... MoT has a right to do it... and we have a right to "make it known" that they are doing it. That's my whole point. I felt that the information was worth dissemination - we talk all day about people's service experiences at the varied dealerships... well, this is a sales issue that I felt worth sharing.

Buyer beware, as usual. No argument there.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
Bottom line... MoT has a right to do it... and we have a right to "make it known" that they are doing it. That's my whole point. I felt that the information was worth dissemination - we talk all day about people's service experiences at the varied dealerships... well, this is a sales issue that I felt worth sharing.

Buyer beware, as usual. No argument there.
Agreed 100%, Amen.

Speaking of service, dropped mine off at Sterling this a.m. for a new top. I look forward to having as good a experience as last week. Mr. Creason is determined to make Sterling serivce 'rock'... So far for me, he has.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
These cars are NOT hard to come by. Maby its the wheels
Edge, look here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=83041

$2500 markup AFTER the dealer told the guy he could have it MSRP. THAT is a deceitful AND greedy.

Trackster ... same thread, two GPs at MSRP for sale

Wasn't Marina looking for one at MSRP?

I dont get it when people keep saying they are rare or desirable when they are STILL for sale at MSRP

Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
please note :"So he says that there getting an extra GP but there going to be marking it up 2500.00 dollars and put it out on the showroom floor, but if I want it, it's mine. " what's wrong w/ this?

I have made quite a few deals in my life and I have learned one simple rule: know how much I really want the car/house/or whatever I am trying to purchase and most important: How much am I willing to pay. Once this is clear on your head then you don't have too many surprises, and I don't consider buying a car (unique as may be) an investment as some people do.

James was seriuosly considering buy a GP for himself, however, it will come down to give up Stella and to commute with the GP which is something he is not willing to do at this time.

Finally, I am not completely surprised to se a few GPs on the market as some people put down a deposit, in more than one dealer, hoping to sell their spot. I know of a vendor who, at MOTD 06, offered me his spot for $5,000.00. I don't know if he was bluffing but he seemed pretty darn seriuos. Also some people may have some problem in financing the new car and cannot buy it.

The bottom line is the GP is unique car and is not for everybody as people have the choice of how to spend their money.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
MoT GP Update

Hold on to your heart (or whatever bodypart is the weakest) Edge! What a difference a few weeks make. Rolled by MoT this evening to see what's on the lot GP-wise and the GP I spoke of sitting on the lot back on 10/11 with a $5000.00 A.D.M. is now reverently sitting inside the showroom with an A.D.M. of $7995.00. With a few other dealer add-ons we're looking at a $40,000 GP, though I'd say if you're the kind of customer who wants to finance the car through MINI's financial services, you could very definitely get this price down. My sense of it is, after looking on the internet and calling around, MoT Management has decided they'd like to take a crack at some of the GP profiteering they see going on elsewhere.

There was another GP on the lot, still in its shipping clothes, but it is a pre-order awaiting turnover to its owner. MoT still has 3 preorder GP's and 1 dealer's GP yet to arrive. There seems to be no clear understanding why these remaining GP's are taking so long to be delivered. They've all been built for quite awhile but for some reason they are delayed in transit.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
$7995.00 markup! OK, now they're just trying to prove it!

I surrender!

Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bluzeke
Hold on to your heart (or whatever bodypart is the weakest) Edge! What a difference a few weeks make. Rolled by MoT this evening to see what's on the lot GP-wise and the GP I spoke of sitting on the lot back on 10/11 with a $5000.00 A.D.M. is now reverently sitting inside the showroom with an A.D.M. of $7995.00. With a few other dealer add-ons we're looking at a $40,000 GP, though I'd say if you're the kind of customer who wants to finance the car through MINI's financial services, you could very definitely get this price down. My sense of it is, after looking on the internet and calling around, MoT Management has decided they'd like to take a crack at some of the GP profiteering they see going on elsewhere.

There was another GP on the lot, still in its shipping clothes, but it is a pre-order awaiting turnover to its owner. MoT still has 3 preorder GP's and 1 dealer's GP yet to arrive. There seems to be no clear understanding why these remaining GP's are taking so long to be delivered. They've all been built for quite awhile but for some reason they are delayed in transit.

Yep. Saw that today myself. Almost fell over when I saw the sticker.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:39 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
please note :"So he says that there getting an extra GP but there going to be marking it up 2500.00 dollars and put it out on the showroom floor, but if I want it, it's mine. " what's wrong w/ this?
Marina I brought up that thread to show you the other two GPs at Morristown selling for MSRP because you asked for a lead. I see now your no longer looking. Thats all.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by bluzeke
Hold on to your heart (or whatever bodypart is the weakest) Edge! What a difference a few weeks make. Rolled by MoT this evening to see what's on the lot GP-wise and the GP I spoke of sitting on the lot back on 10/11 with a $5000.00 A.D.M. is now reverently sitting inside the showroom with an A.D.M. of $7995.00.
Case closed. Greed overcomes ethics and caring about your customer.

I hope it sits there... a LOOOONG time, until they get their head back in reality. The fact is that someone will probably still pay over MSRP for it... how much over is the question. I'm willing to guess they'll end up selling it for $2000 or $3000 over.

I still think it's wrong of them, but I never said they don't have a right to do it.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 PM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
isn't MSRP enough for them? we already seem to agree to that when buying our MINI's. normally at any other car dealership, you try to get in at or under invoice.

I understand this IS a highly limited production car. Meaning resale value will be high, because of this.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluminiboy
I understand this IS a highly limited production car. Meaning resale value will be high, because of this.
Huh? When Miatas first came up, everyone demanded a premium over MSRP. Do you think that caused their resale value to remain high?

Its whatever the market will bear. Morristown has two at MSRP and they are not selling

Old 11-05-2006, 06:12 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Its whatever the market will bear. Morristown has two at MSRP and they are not selling
What? New Jersey consumers have more sense than the rest of us?

Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
I find very amusing that people are getting so upset about the price of a car and watch how many are left in the lot unsold. It looks like that some people, who did not buy the GP, enjoy the fact that these cars are NOT sold out. I don't recall a similar attention for the MC40.
Am I wrong? Probably so !!
Motoring with GyPsy and loving every mile !!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
... It looks like that some people, who did not buy the GP, enjoy the fact that these cars are NOT sold out. I don't recall a similar attention for the MC40.
Am I wrong? Probably so !!
You have two questions there ...
  1. Do people enjoy the fact GPs are not sold out? I do not think so in a malicious way. Rather, its amusing to watch all the hype ... MINI GPs sold out ... when in fact they were not. The dealers bought the GPs (hence sold as far as MINI was concerned) which means ... nothing. I do not think anyone "enjoys" the fact ... only find it maybe a bit deceiving and mildly amusing.
  2. I don't recall a similar attention for the MC40. I guess you never read all the MC40 bashing. Most of it on MINI2. Thread after thread bashing the car ... mostly because it wasn't what the performance junkies wanted. Same on the GP ... a few HP more than standard JCW ... whats the point? Well the point is ... marketing ... getting some last minute hype in before the new models come out. Keep MINI in the news. I guarantee you MANY ppl bashed the MC40 and the fact that MC40s sat in dealers lot has been noted many times on NAM.
Since I was one who bought a MC40 sitting on the lot ... I could care less what ppl thought. But my perspective may have been different. I could get it immediately, no wait. No JCW? Big deal, just add it. Bling options? I liked the leather and CF. Silly stickers? I took them off.

Don't let this all get to you. Enjoy your GP. Dont worry about what other ppl think or cars still unsold ... As long as your happy ... you dont need validation from anyone else.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:43 AM
lastrega
6th Gear

The dealers bought the GPs

Actually each dealer had an amount of GP assigned by MINI USA. When I went to order mine from TATE they were sold out. For three straight days Rick and Scott tried to get one GP from other dealers: none were willing to give one up. The response from all dealers was "All are spoken for." I ended up in ordering mine from S.C. He did not cross my mid to even consider MoS as I don't care for this dealership at all. Towson said to TATE sorry I don't have any .. so I didn't even tried.. Happy to have purchased from our friend Brad Davis who is also races MINIs professionally. Go Brad !!!

guess you never read all the MC40 bashing.
Art, I do recall the MC40 bashing - and BTW the dealers had "free purchase power " not an assigned # to sell- but I don't recall people monitoring their sales as they are doing with the GPs. The MC40 and the GP are two different types of MINI and their marketing is also different.

Don't let this all get to you. Enjoy your GP.you dont need validation from anyone else
as I wrote in my previous post "Motoring with GyPsy and loving every mile !!
and who knows me well enough knows that I really care very little of what people think... It's my life and since I cannot please everyone then I have to please myself !! and so far I have done a pretty good job on this.

Proud owner of these two Little Ones