Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

DDm Intake or K&N Drop in Filter

Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM
dorian10
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDm Intake or K&N Drop in Filter

Just got a 2012 Clubman non-s. I have read how much you like your DDm Intakes. I'm little concerned about the noise. Is it significant, I'm almost 50yrs . Is the performance much better than just a drop in?
Thanks DC in SoCal

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
I'm 66 and the DDM is very loud. It is not bad doing local driving and actually kind of fun, but on the 9 hour trip to MOTD, the drone drove me nuts. Just my thoughts.

Jim

Old 05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
peppermill
2nd Gear
58 ,goin' on 19 and i must agree with jbewley.
the ddm is a pure hoot around town and for moderate durations and not overly intrusive into the cabin during normal use, but on long hauls it can be a little tiresome.
I understand that some of the other aftermarket intakes aren't quite as snarly tho I haven't the experience to make any recommendations for one over another.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by peppermill
58 ,goin' on 19 and i must agree with jbewley.
the ddm is a pure hoot around town and for moderate durations and not overly intrusive into the cabin during normal use, but on long hauls it can be a little tiresome.
I understand that some of the other aftermarket intakes aren't quite as snarly tho I haven't the experience to make any recommendations for one over another.
The VIP Air 2, is a good compromise. It is simply a tube to replace the silencer and a K&N filter. The tube is larger then the one in the silencer, so blocking off the holes in the silencer (talked about here a lot) gives sound, but no extra air draw. It is only a tad louder. Just enough to hear. I have switched back and forth several times and currently have the VIP installed.

With the DDM, my air intake temp ran 30 to 35 over ambient. With the VIP is runs 19 to 21 over.

This will start a real blasting, most likely, but that is what I have found.

Jim

Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
peppermill
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley

With the DDM, my air intake temp ran 30 to 35 over ambient...

...This will start a real blasting, most likely, but that is what I have found.
a blasting? dunno why. calling the DDM (and most all of the other brands of aftermarket intakes for the mini) a true cold air intake would be delusional.your readings would seem plausible & realistic to me.assuming you arrived at your numbers in a bonnet-down dyno type setting, even with fans, the actual in-use, under-hood temp differentials might even be greater.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by peppermill
a blasting? dunno why. calling the DDM (and most all of the other brands of aftermarket intakes for the mini) a true cold air intake would be delusional.your readings would seem plausible & realistic to me.assuming you arrived at your numbers in a bonnet-down dyno type setting, even with fans, the actual in-use, under-hood temp differentials might even be greater.
I was just kidding (sort of). It can get brutal around here sometimes.

My numbers were taken, while actually driving, over the course of about two years, using a Scanguage II and the Garmin HD.

Jim

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
alisen
1st Gear
Hi,

I just installed K&N drop in air filter after a really long research term I can simply say that engine sound hasn't changed much.! But I got better throttle response at lower RPMs

Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well guys got my DDM last week. I took a trip to Myrtle Beach so I drove for about 200 miles total. You only hear the intake on acceleration. The really nice thing is the increase in mileage, I got 2-3 mpg increase to 39 mpg. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
timwu13
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by alisen
Hi,

I just installed K&N drop in air filter after a really long research term I can simply say that engine sound hasn't changed much.! But I got better throttle response at lower RPMs
WOuld you mind sharing which K&N you put in?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
thisshouldwork
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar
Well guys got my DDM last week. I took a trip to Myrtle Beach so I drove for about 200 miles total. You only hear the intake on acceleration.
I agree with Aquasar, on my straight cooper you don't hear the DDM while you are cruising, only when you get on the accelerator. For those that are looking for a little more sporty sound but don’t want the potential negatives from an aftermarket exhaust the DDM is a good solution.