Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Need a few opinions on a Classic...

Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 AM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a few opinions on a Classic...

So today I rode up to Swanley (I'm currently in the UK) to check out this Classic Mini dealer. Nice place. The showroom was essentially a large garage type room with restored Mini's EVERYWHERE. Quite literally bumper-to-bumper. There were probably 30 or so packed in the "showroom". I walk on though and out the back door to the "lot". On the right side, restored Mini's, on the left, Unrestored. The unrestored stuff is older ('90 & below) and he restores them at request. I'm looking for something '81 or older that I can Import back to the US w/out problems/large expense. All the way down on the left by the back gate I found a 1969 Mini Cooper S. A Proper one. Sweet. It's got a bit of rust though, and having never owned a car that old, or restored one, I don't know if its too much rust to deal with, or is it surface rust. The doors shut properly & everything seems tight. No visible rust in the boot (the carpet had been removed). Didn't get a look under the bonnet yet. I didn't see any levers in the interior, and couldn't as how cause the dude went back inside, which in a way I was grateful when I whipped out the camera and started shooting.

The idea is to buy a "decent" Mini to drive while I'm here for another year or so, then when I move back to the States, Import it and turn it into an autocross/track toy.

Any thoughts? Won't be buying anything until Mid July anyway.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a sweet looking Mini. The surface rust appears to be in all the places that Minis get surface rust, and not that big a deal.

That Mini pickup parked behind it looks nice...what kind of money was he asking for that?

Old 06-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Merkursport
4th Gear
The roof rust is troublesome, but nothing that couldn't get sorted. The A panel just behind the front wheels and the scuttle (the panel where the wipers come out of), are two prime candidates for hidden rot. Are you looking to buy 'as is' or have them restore the old dear?

Good luck - buy the best you can and make sure that all paperwork is in order at purchase. There are too many horror stories about not being able to get them into the USA.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Originally Posted by Merkursport
The roof rust is troublesome, but nothing that couldn't get sorted. The A panel just behind the front wheels and the scuttle (the panel where the wipers come out of), are two prime candidates for hidden rot. Are you looking to buy 'as is' or have them restore the old dear?

Good luck - buy the best you can and make sure that all paperwork is in order at purchase. There are too many horror stories about not being able to get them into the USA.

More than likely "as is". I want to eventually turn it into a track/autocross car.

The guy who I'm assuming runs the shop, restores them to sell as well. He's asking £3800 w/a year of MOT (kinda like US inspections, if your state has them) as you see it now.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:49 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
I'm kinda leaning "Towards Not"

I think the rust around the roof is a bit more than surface rust. The headliner is stained around the roofline.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Man I wish I could take a trip out there and buy one.....

Old 06-01-2006, 02:47 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Originally Posted by Xanthus
Man I wish I could take a trip out there and buy one.....

That's what I was thinking before we moved over. Now I'm not so sure. The pricing (once you figure in the conversion rate of £ to $ & then shipping/importing) comes to about what you'd find them for in the US. :/ Kinda disheartening.

For an easier import, it needs to be at least 25 years old or older, so 1981 or earlier. Not really a fan of the Clubman front. If I wanted a car that looked like a Datsun, I'd buy a Datsun 510. So that leaves the '60'. And being that old over here, they are BOUND to have rust. It's quite damp here.

I'm real close to looking for an Elise to drive while I'm here, sell it when we move back, and buy a Classic from a dealer in my hometown. Most of those are from New Zealand.

Maybe I'm just too impatient. :shrug:

Old 06-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Elise? Nice car, but that says you're not sold on a Mini.

That Cooper S is a decent car that could be purchased and restored while you are there. It is cheaper there to do so than here. Then bring it back, completed. Being there for a year is a perfect opportunity to sort it out.

The headliner stain is common and is probably caused by glue discoloration.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Elise? Heck yes, as long as you don't need the utility of a Mini. I'd do that and save my $$ and shipping frustration and get one from turkys.com when you are back.
S1 Elise is awesome, and are now affordable, but you have to be a hard man to drive that daily, for sure

Old 06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't tell from the picture of the boot -- is there a gas tank on the right side -- it doesn't look like it from what I see -- just the filler cap which could be a "dummy." Does it have an oil cooler mounted up just behind the grill? The right hand tank and the oil cooler up front should be there if it is a genuine "S". Also the engine should be an S engine (tappet covers on the back towards the firewall, 10 studs and one bolt holding the head onto the block). The roof rust is not trivial, but is fixable. However, the headliner stains are normal-- they are glue stains and almost all old minis have those stains. The headliner appears to be from two different cars. The speedometer should read to 120mph. The VIN number can tell you only if it is a Cooper or Cooper S, but can tell you if it was just a standard Mini that someone has "Cooperized" it. The floors look pretty good. PM me if you have any other questions I can help with.

good luck,

Paul

Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're right. Well spotted on the dummy petrol tank neck. I didn't even notice that.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Latka
5th Gear
3800 pounds sounds like quite a bit of money. If you'd like I can e-mail you with a friend's address who's moved to the UK from Florida and is a top rate Mini person.

As far as buying cars from Turkys.com... last time I checked his prices were through the roof!

As was mentined, the roof rust is *not* just "surface rust*. I'd get under the car and check the door sills - also the "A" Panel as mentioned earlier.

Looks like an English Mini to me. I've seen Rover Coopers rusted worse than that though - it just seems to be a gamble how fast they'll get the rot.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Dev
1st Gear
Hi,

I dont think thats an orginal cooper s, looks more cooperised. For a start Cooper S are the holy grail here (in the uk) and people dont molest them the interior is the give away here. the cooper s steering wheel is a sought after item so no way that would have been changed.

I would walk away at the price he is asking.

But i'd also ask that you dont export it back to the states either as there a fewer and fewer of our favourite little cars on the roads these days. Its sad when one leaves us for good. But its up to you.

Cheers

Dev

Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
First I want to really thank you guys for your input. I posted this on another forum that I belong to that's filled with car nuts. Unfortunately, it's really an "Off-Topic" forum and most replies were just messing around.

I knew I could count on you guys for realistic & helpful input.

Originally Posted by Minimad
Elise? Nice car, but that says you're not sold on a Mini.

That Cooper S is a decent car that could be purchased and restored while you are there. It is cheaper there to do so than here. Then bring it back, completed. Being there for a year is a perfect opportunity to sort it out.
I am definitely sold on a Mini. I own a 2002 MCS, and have always wanted a classic. There's no question about that. Buying one here or in the US really makes no difference, presently. If I bought a Mini in the UK I wouldn't be restoring it here. I have No Place to do such a thing. In the US, definitely. It might be more expensive, but better and actual workspace.

Originally Posted by Merkursport
Elise? Heck yes, as long as you don't need the utility of a Mini. I'd do that and save my $$ and shipping frustration and get one from turkys.com when you are back.
S1 Elise is awesome, and are now affordable, but you have to be a hard man to drive that daily, for sure
I just happen to live in Charleston, and been to Turky's many times. Used to work at MINI of Charleston, too.

Originally Posted by Latka
3800 pounds sounds like quite a bit of money. If you'd like I can e-mail you with a friend's address who's moved to the UK from Florida and is a top rate Mini person.

As far as buying cars from Turkys.com... last time I checked his prices were through the roof!
As was mentined, the roof rust is *not* just "surface rust*. I'd get under the car and check the door sills - also the "A" Panel as mentioned earlier.
Looks like an English Mini to me. I've seen Rover Coopers rusted worse than that though - it just seems to be a gamble how fast they'll get the rot.
Check your PM.

Yeah, I was balking at the £3800 from the beginning. He (GCMINIS.COM) had "restored" Mini's that weren't much more.

I've felt the same way about Turky's pricing for a long time. But having looked at Mini prices here in the UK, figuring the £ to $ conversion, then shipping & federalization, I'm coming to numbers that are VERY close to Turky's $$. He's got a few "shells" that aren't bad, and I'd be gutting it anyway for an AutoX/Track Mini anyway. I'd feel bad about doing that to a nice Mini.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Shipping should cost you no more than about $1100 or so to the east coast. "Federalization"??? We're talkin about a 25+ year old car here. No need for that silly bit. The only time you need that stuff is if you're trying to bring in a newer car and bring it up to US regs. *that* can be pretty crazy - a Japanese model Skyline which normally runs like $30K in Japan will cost you almost 90k here in the US for that very reason.

MK1 and MK2 Cooper / S cars are getting more rare everywhere. If ya snoop around a bit I bet you can find what you're looking for.

Try contacting Pete Cavallo over at West PA Minis (www.westpaminis.com) he's actually in the UK - moved there from Florida where he was heavily into the Mini scene. He's a great guy, and a really good person to know in the Mini scene. Since you're in the UK as well I'm sure he can help you find a decent mini at a decent price.