Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

BEWARE THE FLYING MUDFLAP :^(

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Puddle Jumper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEWARE THE FLYING MUDFLAP :^(

Well, Memorial Day weekend was sure memorable.... crusing down 57 when a trucker cut in .... I quickly slowed down, when all of a sudden he kicks up a truck mudflap!!!! Fortunately the thing was heavy enough that it didn't get enough air to hit my windscreen, but the MINI took it like a trooper and thump-ity thumped over the trash. grrrrrr Pulled up along side the dweeb to shake my fist at him, and he was gabbing on his phone!!!
This morning, we went out into the daylight to survey the damage....
guess I be calling my insurance company and Knauz.....
Hope your weekend was not quite so memorable...

Attached Thumbnails BEWARE THE FLYING MUDFLAP :^(-p1010943.jpg  
Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Fassbinder
2nd Gear
A sheet of plywood standing vertical when I drove through it is how Fassbinder got his "aero" nose. hood repainted and a windshield with "A"pillar trims

Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch. reminds me of when a license plate kicked up into my car
long time ago and made a 8" gash and dent on the fender only a week
after purchase.

come to think of it, my current daily driver got keyed, and the other one
got backed into by a UPS truck while parked. so, schit happens.

i would make this incident a positive and get a aero bumper.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Glad you're taking it really well. Almost anything a truck runs over can get airborn which is really scary. Good thing it was only the lower grille/bumper. Good thing you're ok as well

As Ken said... aero bumper

Old 05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not too long ago I was next to a truck that flung a large muffler with a few feet of tailpipe directly at my car. I ducked as I saw the stuff heading right at my windshield. It whizzed over just inches from the open sunroof and landed behind me where others started dodging it. I felt the 'pressure wave' as the thing zoomed over the opening. :impatient

A split second difference in timing would have had a much nastier outcome.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Hope you got that guy's tag number. Your insurance company can track him down and if his logs place him on that road yesterday, BINGO, he pays... at fault accident on his part and his insurance rates go up.

Can you tell I dislike trucks and their careless ways on the road ? Flying debris, driving like they own the roads...

Disclaimer: I know trucks are important to commerce and I know most truck drivers are courteous and cafeful. But way too many are not so you can save the speech. I personally witness far too many truck drivers that don't give a crap about the other guy on the road.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Puddle Jumper
2nd Gear
Thanks for the moral support!
There is solace and a "WOW! Was that close! Gotta tell someone else.." in sharing/hearing your war stories too.... Glad everyone made it!!

I'm not sure if I'm into putting the aero bumper on, as won't it lower my already just-skirting-the-parking-median clearance? And don't want to look like a snow plow.... unless you have something better you've seen that fits a cooper '05

Anyone add the aluminum skid plate? My factory shield took a hit. (see photo) Besides the power steering cooling fan, should I be concerned about anything else? Visually all looks OK... and no funny engine/driving noises...

Attached Thumbnails BEWARE THE FLYING MUDFLAP :^(-p1010946.jpg  
Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 AM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a skid plate, but they didn't have aluminum when I put mine on..
I think it is good for my icy alley in the winters, but it makes servicing the car more difficult

I also have the original plastic "shield", you are welcome to it (if the 02 part fits your 05)

Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Red & Pepper White
Hope you got that guy's tag number. Your insurance company can track him down and if his logs place him on that road yesterday, BINGO, he pays... at fault accident on his part and his insurance rates go up.

Can you tell I dislike trucks and their careless ways on the road ? Flying debris, driving like they own the roads...

Disclaimer: I know trucks are important to commerce and I know most truck drivers are courteous and cafeful. But way too many are not so you can save the speech. I personally witness far too many truck drivers that don't give a crap about the other guy on the road.
if the car in front of you kicked up the debris, then it would be covered
under comprehensive, right?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kenchan
if the car in front of you kicked up the debris, then it would be covered
under comprehensive, right?
Yes, if it was something laying on the road and kicked up by the veh in front of you, it's a comp loss.

If the object that struck you came off the veh in front of you, it's a collision loss and the veh in front of you is negligent. The problem comes when trying to prove it came off that vehicle. 90% of the time, we end up paying these losses out of Uninsured Motorist coverage.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^Thanks for the info

Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper
Anyone add the aluminum skid plate? My factory shield took a hit. (see photo) Besides the power steering cooling fan, should I be concerned about anything else? Visually all looks OK... and no funny engine/driving noises...
oohhhh... that doesn't look good. Looks like that flap really got ya .

Steve can tell you about his skid plate... the aluminum one shouldn't weigh as much.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Sorry, Puddle Jumper

Another bruised MINI makes me sad in the pants

BUT - you're ok, and that's what's really important I second the aero bumper, it rocks.

Damn road gators...they are everywhere. I'm not sure why, in my many years of SUV driving, that I never noticed all the debris on the roadways. Perhaps because I was "up so high" in the SUV...or perhaps I care so much more now that I have my MINI. Probably the latter.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Since We're Sharing...

...last Saturday, I found myself in an unenviable position. On I90W with a dump truck that just switch lanes in front of me..CRAPPPP!!! I was boxed in with no where to escape, and we all know that these dump trucks are never fully empty, and that damn door flap is never completely closed. So I wait for the inevitable, we hit some bumps and here comes a spray of gravel coming loose. I finally got a chance to switch lanes, but not after a good amount of gravel spray. When I got a chance to check for damage, I was happily surprised that there were no major dents or scratches. Glad I have hat 3M Clear Bra on the front end. Just saved myself from a major paint job. Last time that happened in my old car, it wrecked my windsheild. So, I'm even happier that I avoided more serious damage.

Also, in my rage, I reported the truck to IDOT. Rainbow Concrete Company, watch out!!! You have been tagged!!!

Last edited by True Joy; 05-29-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added to post.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Becky - I've heard good and bad things about the aluminum heat shield. Mostly bolts rusting.... I'd probably not bother with it.