AMVIV4 / A MINI Vacation In Vegas (2007) The forum for A Mini Vacation in Vegas, hosted by the Sin City MINI Club.

Wicks Driving Experience at AMVIV

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Arnie Kraus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicks Driving Experience at AMVIV

I've been thinking about participating in one of the Wicks Driving Experience Days, but have no track experience. Can someone who participated in the school at AMVIV tell me about what it was like and whether they'd recommend it?
Thanks
Arnie

Old 03-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
For the price ($300), you get some decent track time. I've taken schools from Skip Barber at Laguna Seca before, and this was no where as close as far as 'schools' go.

There was practically no 'classroom' time to show a newbie how to take a line, how to brake, how to find an apex. Instructors were rare a few between. My Fiancee was there for her first time at the track, and did not get much 'schooling' out of it.

For a newbie, i'd consider it if you just want to experiment with your MINI at the track, but it's not that educational. Granted you could study books on track technique on your own, and be better suited.

For me an intermediate driver, it was a cheap way to have a good time and get lots of track time.

Depends on how comfortable you are driving a track the first time ever alone in your car. Then again, this may have been a one off experience, but that's what we found at the Vegas Wicks 'class'.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd echo Skottoman's comments (fiancee?! congrats!). I started track days in a Miata, and the makeshift 'driving schools' that were put together were more comprehensive, there were more instructors, and they cost less. I did the Wicks Laguna Seca event in '05.
Depending where you are located, you should be able to hook up with an appropriate driving experience. It really is a blast!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
If you'd like a very good driver's school, check out your local BMWCCA. They have a long standing reputation for putting on quality schools with lots of instruction.

FWIW, I haven't done a wick's school, but I have been to a couple of them as a spectator and have done some others. I had a lot more time with instructors in the car at other schools. At the latest wicks day at AMVIV not many of the cars I saw in the various sessions had instructors in them.

The other thing about the wick's school at AMVIV was there appeared to be quite a bit of downtime. At other schools I've been to if we weren't on the track, we were in the classroom, or doing skills/handling exercises. Basically our whole day was occupied with learning to be better drivers by spending time with an instructor.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 AM
willum
5th Gear
I'd echo all 3 posts above.
I've been to 4 Wick's events and all 4 have been very different. 1 had excellent classroom instruction (last year at AMVIV3), the other 3 were lacking in that respect. Some events had you paired with a specific instructor, others did not. Meaning, YOU had to find an instructor and alot depends on the number of volunteer instructors that show up at each event. With trying to run the NAMCC series in conjunction the track day, does create some down time (but its still cool to watch the race prep'd cars on the track). In addition, some of the racers were also instuctors (Laguna Seca '05, AMVIV3, Buttonwillow 10/06) which puts a cramp on their race prep time, so I'm seeing fewer racers willing to do that.
Being in the Intermediate class, I usually try and do every other session with an instuctor. This year, I had 2 outstanding instructors....1 by request and the other by luck.
I would not consider a Wick's event as a "true" drivers school, but does allow you get some track time (with some instruction), in a relatively safe environment.......more of an "introduction" to what track days are all about.
I have yet to hookup with the local BMWCCA, but have heard nothing but good things about them.
Most of all......don't be afraid.....ask questions....and have FUN.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
ka_ciao
4th Gear
AMVIV was my first track experience ever and I was somewhat disappointed:
  • There were not enough instructors to accompany all Novices each time out (ratio was about 3 students to 1 instructor).
  • Pre-track "classroom" gave very vague information and didn't prepare me well for what to expect on the track.
  • I had a different instructor each time (and each instructor had a different style and perspective so there was no consistency in my experiences).
  • Classroom time between sessions was minimal at best.
  • The whole event seemed a bit disorganized and somewhat unprofessional. This is not to say that Phil and instructors weren't nice and they did answer questions readily, but there was little structure to the day other than the schedule of which group was on the track when.
  • Tech inspections were pretty lax, which made me wonder how safe all the cars actually were (no offense to anyone who participated).
  • I requested to rent an XS helmet ahead of time and received confirmation but they only had a S when I checked in, which was a bit big and loose.
I've been told by others that schools like Skip Barber's are a better experience for track newbies. But one of the best things about Wicks' school is that it's all MINIs.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM
tuition
2nd Gear
Despite what everyone has said, I had a blast, I had good instruction, and I had an instructor right off the bat. Great fun in all, you just have to be on the ball and in your car on the first call to the grid (at least it helps).

Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
It all depends on where you are. There are far better track days than what Phil offers and for less bux. NASA trackdays are $175. I believe the BMW CCA events are the best for novices because MINIs are welcomed and because NO ONE is allowed on track without an instructor.

Check this site (Motorsportreg.com) out. If you join (free) you can input your email address and get reminders when there are track days within 150 miles of you. Good deal!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Just thought we should all keep in mind that the Phil Wicks Acamedy does about 20 track events a year. These are all done "on-the-road" all over the USA. Phil has to plan, organize, travel, transport, and provide instructors that are knowlegable of the local tracks. When comparing the Phil Wicks Acamedy to other schools (Russell, Bondourant, Skip Barber, NASA, and BMW CCA) keep in mind that most of the schools operate from their own "home base". They have a working relationship with the race track owners. They are familiar with the track. They have local instructors. They normally have all their offices and equipment right there.

Phil Wicks does not have these resources at his finger tips. Phil Wicks brings his school to you, not the other way around. With his travelling school, it gives us an opportunity to drive different tracks, and gives those of us that are not near a local driving school, a chance to get some good, professional instruction.

I agree that the "travelling" school does bring some disadvantages, but it also brings a lot of benifits. I would hope that Phil Wicks will take heed of our comments and try to improve some of those areas. At the same time we should give him a "pat on the back" for what he does bring to us.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
This is a dangerous sport. Cars get damaged, people get hurt. It only makes sense to pay your money to an organization that has all the safety resources at their fingertips. A well organized event has sufficient course workers, enough qualified instructors to cover the novice class and offer instruction to the other classes as well, a good, thorough ground school session and download sessions for novices, approved safety equipment for rent (SA 2000 rated helmets), crewed tow truck, crewed ambulance, food and water, in short, the resources that minimize your risk. Spending it on a traveling show which doesn't command these resources simply because it has MINI in its name, is not the wisest decision. It's your car, it's your body, it's your choice. MINI drivers deserve the best.

If you are interested in this sport, check the complete event schedules of the tracks near you and then contact the local organizations that sponsor track days there.

BMW CCA holds Driving Schools all over the country, as does the Quattro Club and the Porsche Club of America.

NASA is the biggest track day organizer in the country, their track days are the most affordable and their instructors are excellent.

Do some shopping and you'll find there are many, many groups to run with.