Shame on the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Mol
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame on the Dragon

I have many close friends down around the Dragon and it's always been my pleasure to inform my MINI friends after the MOTD that the Gap (Dragon) locals consider the MINI group the best, most polite, and well behaved group of all the many car groups that congregate down near the Gap and run the Dragon (and there are many, many groups).

Well, sadly this was not the case this year. Where most of the MINI folk were the standard well behaved crew, there were numerous reports of extremely bad and dangerous driving on the Dragon. Lori "Killgurl" came by my cabin at Fontana for a lunch I held for my local Rider friends on Saturday and told me she was ashamed to drive her MINI and if she had had her other car should would have driven that instead. Before coming she had phoned the other people attending the lunch and told them to be very careful crossing the Gap (Dragon) because the MINIs were driving dangerously. She lamented that she lives down there and she and the other local MINI owners were the ones who would bare the brunt of the unhappiness the locals were feeling toward the MINIs this year.

Darryl "Killboy" was run off the road by an orange cabrio with the dragon on the side. She was totally in his lane while she was PASSING IN A BLIND CURVE! If there had not been a small pull-off and Darryl knew the road so well and was a very good driver, there would either have been a critical crash (him, in his mostly fiberglass car, being the one injured) or he would have plummeted down the 80 foot bank and been killed. Even if this MINI had been waved around by the MINI they were passing, they should never have passed when she could not see it was clear. You NEVER pass in a blind curve. Not to mention don't cross the double yellow lines. She did not even bother to turn around to see if Darryl was ok and when she was informed the next day that it was Killboy she ran off the road, she still never bothered to apologize (he isn't hard to find, since he's always on the side of the road taking photos).

A quick glance at Killboy's blog this week will show MINIs driving incredibly unsafe and totally in the incorrect lane.
killboy.com photos

See the second page where he says:
"This was also the year of some of the worst driving we've seen from the Mini group. I think the emphasis of how to act when visiting here is getting lost in all the excitement and activities. You know we love you guys, you're our bread-n-butter, but as fellow Mini owners, you're also our people. How does this disrespectfulness make us look after you've gone back home?"

Darryl has nominated the woman who ran him off the road as next year's Safety Coordinator.
killboy.com Safety Coordinator

I was asked to tell the MOTD organizers about the dangerous driving going on in hopes of rectifying the behavior next year. We all love the gathering for MOTD and I would hate for someone to get killed. We need to police ourselves and make sure that noobies are properly educated about that fact that the Dragon is a PUBLIC ROAD where people live and work, and everyone needs to drive responsibly. We can all have fun and stay safe at the same time.

Maybe we can save the MINI reputation next year and again become known as the most well behaved car group. After this years behavior, that certainly is not the case any longer.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post. Now I don't feel as bad about missing the dragon event this year Very lucky that no one was hurt.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Terrible especially with a Mini, I also noticed a lot of Minis crossing the yellow Line. #1and #2 rule>> dont cross the line, and dont pass in blind curves.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Mrs. Skurvy
3rd Gear
I noticed a lot of novice drivers out there this year. Please do us all a favor and look up your local safety car driving course at a track near you. It would behoove you and your fellow curve hugging lovers to learn to respect the road and the people on it.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
How about NEVER PASS on the Dragon...it's double yellow for 11 miles.

I saw plenty of motorcycles riding the yellow and leaning over the line. So, it's not just MINIs.

I myself tried to maintain my position between the lines, white included. Even when there is NO traffic ahead, you should not pick up bad habits by saying "I could see there was no one coming". It's just NOT safe!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I'm parting ways with MINI this year. For the past 8 years I've enjoyed the fellowship and love for these cars. Now a days it almost seems the quality of MINI owners has gone down. It's a shame!!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM
MI_MINI
1st Gear
This is good reason to work on educating drivers new to MOTD. Maybe a 'Dont be this guy' campaign with pictures of how not to drive. A more robust self policing effort would help too. Local clubs can make this a priority for their members who go to MOTD. Just a couple of thoughts. But it looks lime we have a lot of work to do to repair our good reputation.

Motor On!
Chris

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a local, I will say this: Thanks a bunch. It's nice to know that the people I know up on the hill will now look down on me because a bunch of people (and we can't just blame it on flatlanders) can't figure out that the double yellow means stay the hell on your side of the road. Heck, even one of the ones called out is a local. Seriously? Very, very disappointing.

The asinine behavior is why I usually didn't drive the hill the past 10 or so years at Miatas at the Gap, except to get to Tapoco on Thursday and back on Sunday. I can run to the Crossroads any time I want to. I was always told the MINIs were a lot better about their driving, so after selling my Miatas and buying a MINI, I thought this weekend would be different, but it doesn't appear to be much, if at all, better.

The event was awesome and the organizers did an amazing job, but it appears the driving by some (not most from what I saw) was the same ol' same ol' I've gotten used to. :(

Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Wow that's horrible! I drove the Dragon for my first time last year and I never went over the yellow line and if you have a drivers license you should know double yellow means DON'T PASS!! And even though it's a Mini event on the Dragon doesn't mean you own it and can do whatever you want on it.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
While having attended the Dragon for about 10 years twice a year (usually on sportbikes) I’ve spent my share of time on the dragon. And while it may have seemed worse than normal, I assure you after all the years I have gone, there’s always someone that does something stupid.

Having said that, I completely agree with the ignorance of some of the mini drivers. I think perhaps they don’t understand the severity of what they are doing, perhaps they think it’s a casual drive in a beautiful mountain scenery...

I don’t know but when you get over 600 minis together, there is bound to be a few newbies that have no clue.

I think for having 600 minis show up at one event, the vast majority of drivers did a great job.

It doesn’t matter if it’s 600 minis, sportbikes for Miatas, you get a group large enough together, you’re gonna have a few bad apples.

Mark

Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
joshamman
4th Gear
Do Not Like.

There is no excuse for crossing the lines, even when you CAN see that no one else is there.

If you can't stay in your lane, please stay home.

I saw a lot of line crossing this year, from MINI's and non MINI's alike.

Its fun to drive fast and push the cars, but safety should be first and foremost. No one wants to end their vacation in the hospital or worse.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I know im going to hear crap about this but as my daughter says, whatever....

I think you guys are getting confused between people that cut corners and drive on the wrong side and people that pass on a double yellow.

Both are wrong, no doubt but the people that pass on a double yellow are usually the more experienced, aggressive drivers (WHICH I'M STILL NOT SAYIN IT'S RIGHT) but the even bigger danger and annoyance are the inexperienced who completely don't get it. That is what killboy was complaining about.

Even look at all his "example" photos, EVERY one of them were pics of lazy, unknowledeable, inexperienced drivers.

I know that in the 10 years or so I've been there, I myself have passed some idiot on a double yellow. Is it illegal? No doubt. Is it risky? No doubt. I make it a point not to do it and have done 2-3 times in 10 years.... That doesn't excuse me nor make it right but anyone that can tell me they've never passed a car on a double yellow is either a liar or a liar. Everyone has done it some time, some intentional, some not.

Point is, the truly (or should I say "more unsafe" drivers are the newbie laxidazical drivers shown on killboys site.

It reminds me of the slower drivers on the road, IMO, the slower, left laners are far more dangerous on the road than the speeder.

Mark

Old 05-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I know im going to hear crap about this but as my daughter says, whatever....

I think you guys are getting confused between people that cut corners and drive on the wrong side and people that pass on a double yellow.

Both are wrong, no doubt but the people that pass on a double yellow are usually the more experienced, aggressive drivers (WHICH I'M STILL NOT SAYIN IT'S RIGHT) but the even bigger danger and annoyance are the inexperienced who completely don't get it. That is what killboy was complaining about.

Even look at all his "example" photos, EVERY one of them were pics of lazy, unknowledeable, inexperienced drivers.

I know that in the 10 years or so I've been there, I myself have passed some idiot on a double yellow. Is it illegal? No doubt. Is it risky? No doubt. I make it a point not to do it and have done 2-3 times in 10 years.... That doesn't excuse me nor make it right but anyone that can tell me they've never passed a car on a double yellow is either a liar or a liar. Everyone has done it some time, some intentional, some not.

Point is, the truly (or should I say "more unsafe" drivers are the newbie laxidazical drivers shown on killboys site.

It reminds me of the slower drivers on the road, IMO, the slower, left laners are far more dangerous on the road than the speeder.

Mark

Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Love that bold part I'm guilty of passing on a double yellow. I'm also guilty of driving over a double yellow. I could say, "oh it's because I was passing a bicycle" or "oh but it was tractor going 12mph" but no matter. You've either done it, or you've not done it. Gray areas don't apply.

As others have said here, this was a huge group of MINIs. What, over 500 cars and 800+ people. There's bound to be a few mistakes, intentional or not.

Something I'm pushing for in my local group is, if you are on your first run with the group or a non-member you MUST drive in the front of the first group of MINIs on a run. Some folks are slow or constant brake users, some are too aggressive for their own good and think the "best line" through a curve uses both lanes.

While we're talking about practicing unsafe driving habits, let's not forget the "both hands on the wheel" mantra. Yeah I know, the "MINI wave" is sacred. But on the Dragon, and in other areas where your concentration is needed and warranted, let the wave go. Seriously.

(Disclaimer: I waved at Killboy and the other photographers, and I've waved at other MINI drivers. I admit it, and I admit it was dumb. Not my proudest moments. I try very hard to practice what I preach, but I'm not perfect.)

-Jim

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 AM
MINI-moo
Neutral
Originally Posted by joshamman
Do Not Like.

Being one that was "caught on camera" a few Dragon's back with my front wheel over the double yellow...we've decided this exact thing Josh...and haven't been back since.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joshamman
You do realize if we applied this rule across the entire driving population, we'd have 90% less drivers on the road

Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by carman63
You do realize if we applied this rule across the entire driving population, we'd have 90% less drivers on the road

And this would be a bad thing??

Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
I drive it slow (around posted) anymore, I made my wife barf a few years ago

Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by carman63
I'm guilty of passing on a double yellow. I'm also guilty of driving over a double yellow. I could say, "oh it's because I was passing a bicycle" or "oh but it was tractor going 12mph" but no matter. You've either done it, or you've not done it. Gray areas don't apply.

-Jim
Actually, I think there is a difference between passing a tractor going
(usually much less than) 12 mph on a straight road with good visibility
and no approaching traffic in sight vs. most other situations, and there
is some gray that creeps between the black and the white at certain times.

The situation the OP was talking about are certainly not of one of those rare grey areas, however.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I think over confidence plays a factor in this too. People start driving abocve their ability because they've doen it once or twice.

The other issue I've seen is not on the Dragon, but on 28 from Fontana to the Dragon. Wile not intense as the Dragon, the raod can be as treacherous. More than once I had to use some quick actions to avoid DYC [Double Yellow Crossers] on 28. Bottom line, don't cross the double yellow, Don't pass and if you are a slower driver, find the first pull off and get out of the way. I drive pretty fast on the highways but I do it in safe manor. Always signal well before your lane change, never tail gate and always make sure its clear and don't cut people off. You can drive fast safely and you drive dangerously slowly. [Johnsteps down from his soap box]

Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
For me, driving the Dragon is the least fun part of MOTD...well, maybe more fun than the piles of laundry that I have to do after we get back. I know lots of other MINIacs look down on me for this or think I am loony but I admit it. We will drive it once each MOTD so I can legitimately get my sticker but that is all I have the desire to do. It has nothing to do with Vanity Smurfs driving skills, he is an excellent driver (said in my best Rainman voice). I dont believe he has ever crossed the line, understands the physics of how to drive a road like the Dragon, there is no one I would rather be a passenger with (I am the dedicated waver). I am constantly freaked out the whole time we are on that road that we will be a victim of someone else's stupidity.

I will say that I was all indignant about the whole anyone that says they have never crossed the double yellow line is a liar comment until someone pointed out the tractor example. There is a road around here that for no reason is double yellow, visibility is great. Our town has some obsessive need to mow the grass alongside this road seemingly every time I need to go out in the summer. They use a tractor with a mower attachment. So I have crossed that double yellow line by a foot or so to pass the tractor. I wouldnt even think of crossing the double yellow in a situation like the Dragon. Anyone that would knowingly do it to pass needs to have their license taken away IMO. The HO Cabrio is a very clear photo, identifiable car and driver, can any action be taken?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mol

I am the MINI in front there (in the lines!) I never noticed the MINI behind me doing that while driving but its rare I take my eyes off of the next curve so I didn't notice him much. I was going through my killboy photos a few days ago and and was shocked to see this! I try not to drive my car outside my ability so hopefully I do not do things like that. Even if the car behind me is on my tail, I will wait for a pull off (didn't have to this year but did last year). That is also why I try to stay close to the back on the Midnight Run, I am not going to over push it. I'm far from slow, but I am also not as skilled as many of the others up there are and I know my place!

That being said, I never passed another MINI over the yellow line although clearly there were a few. But I did pass many, many motorcycles that were. I also have a video clip I will try to post tonight of a Motorcycle I ran across PARKED, yes PARKED in the middle of a curve talking to his buddies that me and another 3 MINIs had to swerve into the oncoming lane to not hit!

Last edited by ke4sfq; 05-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Everyone knows not to cross the double yellow. It's a law on every road in America not just HWY 129.
As has been mentioned we have all done it at some point. The key to it is doing it safely.. NOT IN A BLIND CURVE... The car she was passing probably motioned her by ( I hope ) doesn't really make it right but had it been done in a straight away with no oncoming traffic we probably wouldn't be having this conversation...
In my one trip down and back I motioned 2 sets of motorcycle riders by, but not till there was an area that was safe for them and me... They probably didn't even cross the yellow line to do it either..

Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by smurfette26
The HO Cabrio is a very clear photo, identifiable car and driver, can any action be taken?
This the action

Thing is, if she had gone to Killboy and apologized, like she told me she would, this wouldn't be happening to her right now. Owning up to your actions can go a long way.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Squirlz
This the action

Thing is, if she had gone to Killboy and apologized, like she told me she would, this wouldn't be happening to her right now. Owning up to your actions can go a long way.
The fact that she hasnt owned up to her actions tells me that she likely wont have any qualms about doing it again. I cant imagine that being called out on a couple of message boards will make much of a difference to her if being called out in person didnt matter to her. That is why I am wondering if a more serious course of action can be taken.

Quick Reply: Shame on the Dragon