Shame on the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Mol
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hadn't mentioned that it was Squirlz who confronted her in person about her actions. He calmly stated she picked the wrong person to run off the road and she did say she would apologize, which she never did.

My own personal experience with driving stupidity this year: I was driving down Hellbender (23) and came around a blind curve and there was a MINI STOPPED in the middle of the road with there reverse lights on. Luckily I am a attentive driver and was quick on the brakes.

Did you know there are more fatal accidents on Hellbender than the Dragon?

I love the Dragon and have driven it hundreds of times, but during MOTD, I drive it once in to get to Fontana and once out to get home. I am just too worried about other drivers to want to risk taking a pleasure run. Nowadays, MOTD is about hanging out with friends you only get to see once a year.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably not anything anyone can do now. At the time it happened and with witness maybe.. Even then not sure a ticket could be given since the police didn't see it happen and there was no accident..

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mol
I love the Dragon and have driven it hundreds of times, but during MOTD, I drive it once in to get to Fontana and once out to get home. I am just too worried about other drivers to want to risk taking a pleasure run. Nowadays, MOTD is about hanging out with friends you only get to see once a year.
Amen, sister. Drove it for the Dragon Parade and that was it.

If you want your thrills, go AutoXcrossing, don't try to get them on a public road. The best we can do it educate and remind folks of the right thing to do. Hopefully we can do a little more and keep issues like this down next year. Unfortunately there will always be a few knuckleheads that give the rest of us a bad image.

Now if we can get the motorcyclist to remember that their bodies should be considered a part of their machines and no part should cross the yellow line.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM
maxxboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mol

Darryl "Killboy" was run off the road by an orange cabrio with the dragon on the side. She was totally in his lane while she was PASSING IN A BLIND CURVE!

She did not even bother to turn around to see if Darryl was ok and when she was informed the next day that it was Killboy she ran off the road, she still never bothered to apologize (he isn't hard to find, since he's always on the side of the road taking photos).

Darryl has nominated the woman who ran him off the road as next year's Safety Coordinator.
killboy.com Safety Coordinator

For those who know that MINI from years past, it is now being driven buy a new owner - "awisemini" here on NAM. From what little I know of her, I'm afraid Killboy shouldn't hold his breath waiting on an apology.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Mol
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by maxxboy
For those who know that MINI from years past, it is now being driven buy a new owner - "awisemini" here on NAM. From what little I know of her, I'm afraid Killboy shouldn't hold his breath waiting on an apology.
I'm sure he's not. He's seen it all. It would have been nice though since she told Paul she would.

Killboy is also the biggest advocate of safe driving on the Dragon. It would have been really sad if he had been killed, which could have happened. I can't stress enough that if it had been any other driver other than Killboy there most certainly would have been a critical accident.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Isuldor
2nd Gear
Well this was my first year at the dragon and right at the top of my priority list was not crossing the yellow line. As everyone has pointed out that is the surest way to get someone killed. Second on my list was not crossing the white line as losing your MINI looks like a very real possibility in far too many places to push your luck here. I would like to be able to say I did neither but the truth is I visited the other side of that white line on more then a few inside switchbacks. Fortunately in each and every case their was a generous amount of extended pavement beyond the line to help keep the shiny side up.

Anyone can make mistakes on a new road and the Dragon is near impossible to map out in memory in the span of a few days. I guess the point is it still isn't that hard to make sure you keep things controlled enough to never stray over that yellow line.

I did want to mention that it wasn't only the speed demons who were to blame. I was behind a MINI doing 28 to 30 for a good four miles and on every turn they meandered first over the yellow and then over the white.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Mol
2nd Gear
As my conscientious Rider friends say,
"Keep it between the mustard and the mayonnaise."

Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mol

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Self policing is a fine line folks, and I'd stop short of naming names.

I'd expect any MOTD participants to get the message, if it is intended for them.

Just sayin'

Charlie

John 8:7

Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Unfortunately it appears awisemini doesn't post here anymore. I hope someone who knows her will make her aware of this. If she goes back to the Dragon uninformed she'll never know what hit her.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Squirlz
Unfortunately it appears awisemini doesn't post here anymore. I hope someone who knows her will make her aware of this. If she goes back to the Dragon uninformed she'll never know what hit her.
I guess she is still practicing. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...08-post37.html ?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
This is one of the reasons why I'm parting ways with MINI this year. For the past 8 years I've enjoyed the fellowship and love for these cars. Now a days it almost seems the quality of MINI owners has gone down. It's a shame!!
Just curious, but what brand are you going to that has drivers with higher standards?

Jim

Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mol

Dig that Mol.

I am all for the wall of shame and public humiliation that could be updated daily in a prominent area.

I see no reason to blur out the license plates for privacy reasons they are on a PUBLIC ROAD.

If your picture ends up on the Wall of shame your next trip might be to the Tree of shame.

Side note: Veterans do not drive on Saturday, that is a day for all the idiots. plus we are hung over from Friday night.

Now send Molly money for the Firewood at the Pit!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Originally Posted by Chili_Mini_PA
I see no reason to blur out the license plates for privacy reasons they are on a PUBLIC ROAD.
I would prefer to error on the side of caution and blurr the license plates. Since I have the most at risk here

Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Ok how about a TV playing a loop of pictures titled today's D-Bags on the Dragon?

Kidding,,,,,,well kind of...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Ladyvalea
2nd Gear
I may just have to make a decal with this sayin!!! and put it on the back window!!

Originally Posted by Mol

Just may take this quote and make a decal for the back of my lower window!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Crayonman
1st Gear
I drove as a passenger with awisemini on some other roads around Fontana this past MOTD and I can tell everyone here that she is a good driver with good intentions. At no point did I feel unsafe. I thought maybe I might get bitten by her dog at certain times , but she knows what she's doing behind the wheel of a Mini.

I understand the severity of what she did and I'm sure she does too after being shamed on several boards like this and in person. I can speak to her character without having spoken to her about this incident and know that she regrets what happened. There are a lot of unknown factors here that we are speculating about, but keep in mind we all make mistakes because we are human.
I do think it is unfortunate that mini is getting a bad reputation at the dragon, because we do have the best people with the best cars.

Maxxboy if you don't know much about a person like you said, maybe you shouldn't speculate on what she may or may not do. For all we know maybe she already appologized or wanted to, or will soon.

Love, Peace, Minis

Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
last year there was a thread with pics of cars "crossing the line." when i saw that i said to myself "i never want to be in a thread like that." maybe kb would be willing to cooperate with a "dragon pics of shame" thread that we can show before and after the 10th dragon?

a less tech savy version of dave's idea

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Crayonman
I drove as a passenger with awisemini on some other roads around Fontana this past MOTD and I can tell everyone here that she is a good driver with good intentions. At no point did I feel unsafe. I thought maybe I might get bitten by her dog at certain times , but she knows what she's doing behind the wheel of a Mini.

I understand the severity of what she did and I'm sure she does too after being shamed on several boards like this and in person. I can speak to her character without having spoken to her about this incident and know that she regrets what happened. There are a lot of unknown factors here that we are speculating about, but keep in mind we all make mistakes because we are human.
I do think it is unfortunate that mini is getting a bad reputation at the dragon, because we do have the best people with the best cars.

Maxxboy if you don't know much about a person like you said, maybe you shouldn't speculate on what she may or may not do. For all we know maybe she already appologized or wanted to, or will soon.

Love, Peace, Minis
Well spoken.

Enough!

With respect,

Charlie

Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear

Love, Peace, Minis
I really cant think of any excuse that would be good enough for endangering the lives of the other people that could have been in the lane she blindly crossed into just to shave a few minutes off her drive. You are right, as humans we have probably all done some pretty bone headed things. I think the op's concern (and subsequent others that have posted) is that she doesnt think what she has done is that big of a deal because she didnt seem to show any concern for Killboy at the scene or after.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I drove as a passenger with awisemini on some other roads around Fontana this past MOTD and I can tell everyone here that she is a good driver with good intentions. At no point did I feel unsafe.
Well, actually, according to the link of where she stated herself she got out of control, I’d say you just weren’t with her at the right time...lol.

Having said that, I think that this thread is turning more into a witch hunt. Everyone (including my almighty self) has done something wrong, stupid or dangerous intentionally and not intentionally.

I don’t know her but I feel it’s pretty safe to say that no one would intentionally do something like that to hurt someone. Not apologizing is perhaps a lack of social skills but like everyone else, we all started at the beginning.

I mention all this because so many of the posts here make it sound like those drivers that did something wrong just don’t care and drive like that on a daily basis.

Personally, I think Callahan00 said it best by stating that many people just end up driving over their skill level... it’s easy to do when you don’t have experience at the track or on a road like this.

Anyway, I think ya’ll can stop the witch hunt, she made a newbie mistake and I’m sure if she could do it all over again, she wouldn’t.

My .02 worth.

Mark

Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
way done with her. am thinking about what we can do to be safer next year?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
Just curious, but what brand are you going to that has drivers with higher standards?

Jim
Buick!!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
I here the Gremlins on the Dragon are a well behaved bunch

Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 PM
hefro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mol

Darryl has nominated the woman who ran him off the road as next year's Safety Coordinator.
killboy.com Safety Coordinator

The brilliant thing about running Killboy off the road is the opportunity to be embarrassed for a lifetime!

Quick Reply: Shame on the Dragon