Old 01-13-2008, 01:33 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Location: second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Geocaching Meet & Greet

Saturday, May 3
2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Join us at N 35° 27' 8.82" W 083° 48' 0.30" for a great time meeting other MINI owners who have embraced the wonderful combination of geocaching and motoring. Of course those who want to learn more about geocaching, this is a great opportunity to learn about this fun activity first hand. Share tales about caching in your MINI. See if anyone has found a solution to the age-old dilemma: Do you stop when there are caches along a rally route? How have people used their MINI as a muggle distraction? What do you listen to first- White Roof Radio or Podcacher? I’m sure we’ll share detailing horror stories, too. Participants will be provided a list of the local caches and we’ll head out to hopefully find all the dragon’s caches.

Bring your own snack and drinks (non-alcoholic) to share.

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache. – from geocaching.com

Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
WooHoo! We received approval by Geocaching.com so if you are a geocacher you'll get a smiley for attending. The official number is GC18RTT so mark your attendance at geocaching.com

Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
OK, If I were attending the Dragon this would be a must for me. After reading this on Sunday 27-Jan I checked out Geocaching, signed up and am now totally ate up with this. Already logged 5 finds and many more in my area to seek out. Got my first GeoCoin yesterday and am planning on moving it on.
I'm easy to find on geocaching..... the name says it all.
This is crazy adrenaline rush for me anyway.

Happy Hunting

Batman

Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProfessorZoom
The official number is GC18RTT so mark your attendance at geocaching.com
Forgive my ignorance - I don't see how to mark my attendance at geocaching.com. I created an account, found the event on the calendar and all that - but aside from "log my visit" (which hasn't yet occurred) I see no way of marking attendance in advance. What am I missing?

I've been familiar with geocaching for some time now (at least a couple of years), but still have not really done it. I'm def looking forward to this!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
awood279
3rd Gear
Go to Log my visit, then select that you plan on attending from the drop down menu.

Originally Posted by Mini2Go
Forgive my ignorance - I don't see how to mark my attendance at geocaching.com. I created an account, found the event on the calendar and all that - but aside from "log my visit" (which hasn't yet occurred) I see no way of marking attendance in advance. What am I missing?

I've been familiar with geocaching for some time now (at least a couple of years), but still have not really done it. I'm def looking forward to this!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see. Thx. (Done!)

Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
Forgive my ignorance -
Don't worry- I had to email my better half to remind me what to do since geocaching.com is blocked at work for malicious content

Thanks Angela for taking care of the information- Looking forward to getting all the cachers together.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Working on Pathtags for the event (maybe $3 each limit of 50 ordered) these work really well attached to key rings... or trackable (yes, trackable like geocoins) pins. Not sure of exact cost. Once I have some artwork finished I'll post it. Sorry about geocoins, but maybe we can talk about a group MINI-cacher coin buy at the event. Went caching today, nothing major, but as always, lots of fun.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:38 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice location for the meet/greet... I added it as a favorite last night.

I just got a Garmin Nuvi and realized that I'd be able to play along. I always wanted to try it but never had equipment until now.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Know a couple people using the Nuvi they like them. As we get closer and closer can't wait- Mrs. Zoom just calculated we should be close to 1000 finds by the Dragon. While there tune in on 4 sub 21 for geocaching updates.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:46 PM
agranger
6th Gear
I borrowed my brother-in-law's Nuvi 360 for a Christmas fly/drive trip... was wonderful to have along. I just picked up a 750 that gives you the ability to lay out routes ahead of time... not just following the shortest time drive between two lines but letting you pick the roads, to choose the 'twistiest' route, if you wish (great for when I'm leading club drives or day drives at the Dragon).

It doesn't have any topo info on it, which I think would be great for finding cashes to orient yourself to the land, but it's great for roads!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
Don't have a topo on my eTrex, which causes some problems with unnecessary bushwhacking but still a lot of fun.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 AM
mellotron
3rd Gear
I've never been geocaching but I am interested. My MINI will only be a couple weeks old so I don't think it'll be doing any off-road motoring. My husband might be off on another drive at the time, but if not then he may come too.

I assume our Nuvi can do coordinates, I've never tried it, will have to check it out.

Edit: I got mixed up what day is what...but anyway, we want to go to the brew swap and Monte Carlo night too, so maybe we will see some of you before this event.

Last edited by mellotron; 02-18-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM
muidaq
3rd Gear
I've also never geocached, but I'm thinking about getting a GPS receiver and joining the fun. Do you think someone could do a short geocaching overview for the newbies?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by muidaq
Do you think someone could do a short geocaching overview for the newbies?
I'd be in for that, too! Maybe one night at the activity center over a few beers? I'd be happy to host a meet in my cabin as well!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
jimmyd1
4th Gear
I've also never geocached, but I'm thinking about getting a GPS receiver and joining the fun. Do you think someone could do a short geocaching overview for the newbies?
its fun once you do it you will be hooked

Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
muidaq
3rd Gear
Wow there's a ton of GPSr options. What do you guys use and why do you like it? Are there any missing features you wish you had?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM
jimmyd1
4th Gear
Wow there's a ton of GPSr options. What do you guys use and why do you like it? Are there any missing features you wish you had?
i have a magellan explorist I loke it for it's simplicity not sure of the spelling

Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
I'm from a Garmin family... My wife has an eTrex Legend and I have a Venture Cx. One of the guys around here with over 5,000 finds swears by the eTrex H it is cheap - no bells and whistles, but it will get you right on top of a cache like the really expensive ones... or so he claims. You may want to check out the podcacher.com forum and look at the listener equipment reviews.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
OK everyone email my wife and tell her what fun a trip on the dragon would be... I've been caching about a month and having a ton of fun. I've trekked a few miles on foot into the woods to find a couple. Kinda frightening by yourself.
My weapon of choice so far is a Nuvi200. Bought it for the size and replaced my c330. Simple to use, easy to input coords and so far it has been extremely accurate. Got it at Walmart.com for $186.00. I'm not trying to locate the needle in the haystack but I have found my first nano cache. It was under a bridge and I was standing exactly on the coordinates and found it.

Oh her email address is kr ist iwolfe 85 @ ya hoo . com

I really want to go.

Batman

Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
muidaq
3rd Gear
I ended up getting a Garmin 60CSx and found my first three caches today. Froze off my pieces parts, but had a blast trekking through the snow to find them. Can't wait to do some caching at the dragon.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
jimmyd1
4th Gear
cache at the dragon

sooooooooo.... are we planning a cache trip at the dragon? i know of a few good ones.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will a nuvi work well enough, or would i be better off with something like an etrex

Old 03-04-2008, 07:15 PM
ProfessorZoom
3rd Gear
I can't talk about the nuvi, but I just purchased an eTrex H which is bare bones (cheap- less than $100) but there are a bunch of cachers who swear by them. This was to replace an eTrex Venture CX which I think just didn't like me.

Also-
I have ordered a pathtag (hopefully it will arrive before I head out) for the event. There will only be 50 of them and they will only be available at the event - no preorders when they are gone, they are gone. Check out www.pathtags.com for more information about what they are and how they are trackable. To make the math easy (and change) They will be $3 each with any extra money going to offset the reservation payment for the location.

Last edited by ProfessorZoom; 03-04-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added picture & pathtag information
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 AM
mellotron
3rd Gear
ooh those are pretty, that's one MotD trinket I'll plan on buying!

I checked on our automotive nuvi and you can enter locations by geo coordinates. I'll just show up and see how it works, if it isn't any good, at least I'll have seen first-hand some of the gps you all use for geocaching and have a better idea what to get in the future.

Quick Reply: MINI Geocaching Meet & Greet