5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

MOTD 2008 - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
jimteddismini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will volunteer for info booth also. What better way to meet & greet & socialize and be right in the heart of all the action. Some of the larger conferences I've attended had bulletin board for anyone to post notices so people can connect, works great.

Why not some of the clubs or groups sponsor or put together some simultaneous runs. With so many activities, great places to go in different directions if one run is full move on to the next. We missed the parade, but later did the run ourselves along with a few other stragglers, was just as fun and exciting.

We stopped at the observatory above the Fontana Dam and drove across, awesome view, big parking lot there for a short run.

Would have loved to have been able to see groupings by state and where everyone came from. I loved all the Mini's, each so unique and different, showing off the personalities of their owners. We will be there next year.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by ozarkroots
In regard to the wrist bands and their use as entry document to certain events there is already something in use that can eliminate them.
The ID cards on the lanyard were really nice and I wouldn't go anywhere without it. The ID card could include a check box that was filled in at the time of its creation showing what events that person was registered for.
You're so close to what is being kicked around right now that I'd swear you were at our meeting.

There does seem to be a need for an information booth with a person. As has been noted, MOTD has gotten big enough that "word of mouth" does not seem to cut it. And by the way, what a way to meet people at MOTD by helping in the info booth for a few hours. Along the same line, someone suggested elsewhere volunteers wearing t-shirts identifying them as someone who can answer questions or direct you to the proper person who can.
Totally agree. Manning the info booth is a great way to meet folks. And now that you mention it maybe us people in the know can all get hats that would identify us as "knowledgable". I don't want to do shirts because I like wearing my tees.

Dinners: It seems to me that having 800+ attendees and only room for 300 at the welcome and farewell events is undesirable. I know that there is possibly good reason that all these events are held at Fontana but the village is obviously not capable of handling everything. I am not saying cut them out but maybe the city of Robbinsville could stand a cut of the pie.
I'm certainly not going to flame you. But I will say that having to drive down to Robbinsville and then back up to the Village after isn't very appealing to me. In addition, if the format of the dinners changes as expected then the dinners won't be as much of an event. They'd be more like, "hey guys, I'm hungry let's go grab dinner".

Another thought concerns trying to ID certain cars that we might be interested in looking at. Some of the cars this years had numbers displayed as per autox. Would it be possible for each registered MINI to be assigned a number so that the caretaker of that MINI could post on the car if they desired. That way I could tell which CR I wanted to talk too. I wouldn't care if my name was on a list which people could check but some might.
Not a bad idea but not one the organizers should undertake, in my opinion. Instead why don't people get their userID in a READABLE size put onto their MINIs before they come. That's my plan next year (along with the Brew Swap logo on my baby).

Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by mininana
I haven't heard any negative talk about the group photo.... The photographer was a real dunce, too. He wouldn't even confirm that he had found my order form after I moved my car and went back. I'm assuming he did find it and that no one has stolen my identity in addition to the stupid ticket I got from "rent a cop".
The photographer didn't win me over with his attitude either. The bad thing is that many people really like doing these photos so I doubt we can just skip it and him next year.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mininana - you have a PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
[quote=ozarkroots;1516114]

Another thought concerns trying to ID certain cars that we might be interested in looking at. Some of the cars this years had numbers displayed as per autox. Would it be possible for each registered MINI to be assigned a number so that the caretaker of that MINI could post on the car if they desired. That way I could tell which CR I wanted to talk too. I wouldn't care if my name was on a list which people could check but some might.
quote]

There was a sticker in my bag courtesy of Aesthetic Creations with my username on it which I assume was meant just for this purpose. Didn't everyone get one?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
Great points Matt.... Since I suggested the info. booth, I'd be more than happy to set the whole thing up, provided that Mark is OK with that and can provide a tent/booth.

We had a FREE MOTD mixer for all to show and mingle and not alot of folks show? What's up with that. We're complaining there is not enough mingling and then we have night dedicated to it and very few show up.

Like it's been said before. Stop saying we need more drives and here is how we should do it. Instead say, I'm gonna host a drive and who wants to join me. If you have the desire and not the know how, all you have to do is ask me or Agranger, etc. and we'll get you started
----------

Please remember that the "MOTD mixer" ALSO coincided with the Cigar Salon on the porch. We had around 60 people out there, in and out all night after the Welcome Dinner...the last ones leaving after 12:15 AM. Perhaps many in attendance also thought that our event WAS the mixer, or perhaps no one wanted to go back inside that stuffy room during such a pleasant evening. Bottom line: both venues were free, and both venues did what they were intended to do...bring in people to sip, smoke, chat, mingle, meet new friends, see old friends, etc.

The Cigar Salon WILL return next year, and will remain a FREE event to those who just want to relax with a [LEGAL] smoke after a long day's drive and mingle...remembering that, "we ONLY exhale".

Jeff

Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Squirlz
There was a sticker in my bag courtesy of Aesthetic Creations with my username on it which I assume was meant just for this purpose. Didn't everyone get one?
Yeah but those are small and you wouldn't know whose car it is until you were right up on it. It'd be nicer to be able to spot them from at least a short distance.

You won't miss mine next year if all goes to plan. Muuuahhhaaaa

Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Perhaps many in attendance also thought that our event WAS the mixer
Possibly. But given the relatively low percentages of smokers these days, I really doubt it - since the non-smokers would have sought out other non-smokers. ...or maybe the non-smokers were 'scared off' by the sight of so much smoke at the entrance? Since it also seems that folks were unclear on what was going on where, it may have just been a heap of uncertainties working together.

both venues did what they were intended to do...bring in people to sip, smoke, chat, mingle, meet new friends, see old friends, etc.
Well, not really. The cigar salon, yes (I enjoyed what time there I could ). The mixer was - unfortunately - pretty much a bust, quite contrary to one of the more common complaints about not enough opportunity for socializing.

Last edited by Mini2Go; 05-10-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
The only thing that scared us off were the $4-$5 drinks when I had a fridge not 300 yards away packed to the gills with beer.

Originally Posted by Mini2Go
Possibly. But given the relatively low percentages of smokers these days, I really doubt it - since the non-smokers would have sought out other non-smokers. ...or maybe the non-smokers were 'scared off' by the sight of so much smoke at the entrance? Since it also seems that folks were unclear on what was going on where, it may have just been a heap of uncertainties working together.

Well, not really. The cigar salon, yes (I enjoyed what time there I could ). The mixer was - unfortunately - pretty much a bust, quite contrary to one of the more common complaints about not enough opportunity for socializing.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go

---------

The "mixer" was a late add-on...like maybe less than 2 weeks before the Dragon was to take place. Perhaps not enough "press" was given to the event, or, as I stated before, maybe people just didn't want to spend any more time in that stuffy hall.

That said, I feel the mixer idea was a good one and should be considered for next year, but with the right amount of advance notice of what it is, what it is supposed to accomplish, etc. However, since the Cigar Salon IS at the beginning of the Dragon, maybe the mixer could be held some other evening, when the excitement of the first day has died down somewhat and there reall IS nothing else going on. It wouldn't need to go on all night...just a few hours, so no one would feel obligated to stay. Just a suggestion....

Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
However, since the Cigar Salon IS at the beginning of the Dragon, maybe the mixer could be held some other evening, when the excitement of the first day has died down somewhat and there reall IS nothing else going on. It wouldn't need to go on all night...just a few hours, so no one would feel obligated to stay. Just a suggestion....
Does that mean the salon will be moved to Wednesday night this year?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
suggestions

Man!! this thread cooks!!!
it is unbeleivable the number of posts in a short time.

Some else mentioned the Saturday pic at the damn. I say that because there was no excuse for the cop and his act. If we do this next year this problem needs to be addressed with the right people or look for a different pic location.

I am encourage that the next MOTD will be fantastic. Motor On

Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 AM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
The photographer didn't win me over with his attitude either. The bad thing is that many people really like doing these photos so I doubt we can just skip it and him next year.
There are others. We've used the same one for MME for years.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
secunn
2nd Gear
I think the Cigar Salon and the Mixer should be separated. If 60 people enjoyed the cigars it could be deduced that 740 people did not want to eat smoke or smell like smoke in order to attend the mixer.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Some else mentioned the Saturday pic at the damn. I say that because there was no excuse for the cop and his act. If we do this next year this problem needs to be addressed with the right people or look for a different pic location.
Can't control the cop. That's TVA property and they hold all the cards. Might be best to find an alternate location.

Originally Posted by queenB
There are others. We've used the same one for MME for years.
I'll leave that decision up to the people who take part and buy the photos.

Originally Posted by secunn
I think the Cigar Salon and the Mixer should be separated. If 60 people enjoyed the cigars it could be deduced that 740 people did not want to eat smoke or smell like smoke in order to attend the mixer.
Everything depends on scheduling. Things are being looked into for the mixer.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM
whovous
5th Gear
As long as we keep getting volunteers to man it I think the info booth can probably be done.
I can see I am outvoted here, so I will give this one up soon, I promise. A booth staffed by volunteers will see information quality change every two hours, and it will not see the sort of continuity of knowledge gained when one or two persons are consistently responsible for vetting and distributing information. The other problem with volunteers is that they do not always show up.

Still, a volunteer run info booth will be light years more informative than the whiteboard has proven to be over the past few years, and I am down with that.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
whovous
5th Gear
Response to Whovous:

...snip...

C. Totally agree. This year was 10x more enjoyable for Heidi & I than last year. The organization is great. My point was simply that we shouldn't bring in NON-MINI folks to run the event.

D. If the suggested method comes through then this won't even matter.
C. Don't bring in non-MINI folk. Just have someone there on a somewhat continuous basis during daylight hours.

D. 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished. From reading further down in this string, I wonder if perhaps the solution is to put a UPC code on the lanyard-borne ID card, and scan same for admission to the dinner. Dunno just how portable and inexpensive that technology might be, but its a thought.

Last edited by whovous; 05-10-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: degarblization of syntax
Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by whovous
I can see I am outvoted here, so I will give this one up soon, I promise. A booth staffed by volunteers will see information quality change every two hours, and it will not see the sort of continuity of knowledge gained when one or two persons are consistently responsible for vetting and distributing information. The other problem with volunteers is that they do not always show up.

Still, a volunteer run info booth will be light years more informative than the whiteboard has proven to be over the past few years, and I am down with that.
It's not a matter of voting. Tell you what, you find two people who are willing to sit in that booth for 6-8 hours a day, for free, and we'll welcome them with open arms. It's not an issue worth spending money on since people CAN get the information befoe they arrive at Fontana.

And yes, volunteers are not always reliable. I would like to incentivize (oooh love that word but pretty sure it's made up) volunteering and to get people to show up. I am willing to offer free admission to the Brew Swap for the people who volunteer for the info booth and ACTUALLY show up. I may also see what other stuff I can get to bribe people to make sure they show up.

The information CAN be uniform as long as everyone is informed. The problem stems from the previous people not filling the next shift on what's going on and/or people showing up to work the info booth without bothering to know what's going on. We can make up fliers for the events to have there with all the info. We can do all sorts of other things to make sure all the info is there no matter who is at the booth.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
On this note, we were talking about how expensive the photos are. If they were cheaper, lots more people would show up for it. Make people pre-order and pay in advance so they show up as promised, but find someone who can print the shots at a lower price. We were on top the the dam when they were lining up, and with a long lens and some photography know-how, you could get a GREAT shot from up there. Just face the cars toward the dam. There HAS to be someone with some photography experience and talent who would be willing to do the shot for us. We opted out because of the price, as did most everyone else who chose not to do it.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
whovous
5th Gear
Re: The mixer, drink prices, and coolers full of beer just up the road.

I don't think I even once heard about the mixer this year. I did not arrive until Friday, so my attendance was always in doubt, but I did try to pay attention to what was going on every day, and this was another thing that went right over my head.

Now, lots of things go over my head, and there seem to be more of them all the time. Still, this highlights the need for a centralized information source. We are seeing lots of folks willing to man an info booth. I wonder if it would be possible instead for a single MINI club to take this booth on as their pet project? That might provide a little more continuity than would random volunteers.

Meanwhile, back at the mixer... Is it considered poor form to BYOB to such events? Does FV bar such practices?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Does that mean the salon will be moved to Wednesday night this year?
We've ALWAYS been right after the Welcome Dinner. I do not see that as changing, but you might run any porposed changes by MINIclo first, too, since she IS my co-host.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:25 AM
alpha-6
2nd Gear
Although I know that sponsors drive much of what is the Dragon I would like to suggest that the sponsors again have the area where the Detail Area was this year....in previous years I loved being able to step out of the Adventure Center to admire the cars of "the people"/the enthusiasts- which is what the event started as. I understand fully the necessity of sponsors but would love to be able to socialize and kick tires with the actual enthusiasts is all. I found myself having to drive all over FV in order to admire some of the MINI's and Mini's owned by real people. (i.e. not $50,000 project cars).

Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
We've ALWAYS been right after the Welcome Dinner. I do not see that as changing, but you might run any porposed changes by MINIclo first, too, since she IS my co-host.
I am NOT looking to make any changes to what you guys do. Just wanted to know which night so as not to overlap anything in that immediate vicinity if we don't have to.

As I said earlier though, I don't think next year will have the traditional style welcome dinner as these last few years.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
whovous
5th Gear
I stopped attending the photo shoot after MOTD3, but if it is still a panoramic shot from a cherry picker, there is no inexpensive way to do it. There is a lot more to it than megapixels.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by alpha-6
Although I know that sponsors drive much of what is the Dragon I would like to suggest that the sponsors again have the area where the Detail Area was this year. *snip* I found myself having to drive all over FV in order to admire some of the MINI's and Mini's owned by real people. (i.e. not $50,000 project cars).
*sniff sniff* I smell someone who hasn't read this entire thread.

I think it is safe to say that the suggestion/complaint/desire to have the parking lot and road in front of the adventure center back has been duly noted. If it can be worked out, it will. If it can't, then everyone needs to make do with what's done.

And is it really such a chore to drive around and see MINIs?

Quick Reply: MOTD 2008 - Suggestions