5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

MOTD 2008 - Suggestions

Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I mentioned this earlier but last year when the cars were parked where the tents were there was a lot of buzz and tech talk...... many oohs and aahs as people lifted hoods and checked out wheels etc.... i thought that aspect was sorely missing
Agreed. Personally this is my #1 priority but obviously I am not the decision maker on anything, only an organizer trying to make things better. Safe to say with the HUGE response from people about this issue at least an effort will be made to rectify the situation.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya know, if Fontana really wanted to make us feel appreciated, they'd install a nice, big, well-lit ten-bay garage with lifts where they tore down the building at the General Store.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
Ya know, if Fontana really wanted to make us feel appreciated, they'd install a nice, big, well-lit ten-bay garage with lifts where they tore down the building at the General Store.

not to mention 5 star cusine with wine at $5 for all you can eat and drink..... it is the least they can do

Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Oh I'm sorry, would you like me to hold your hand? I can do that as well.

Come on man, you are an adult. Be responsible for yourself and stop trying to place the onus on other people. You nearly missing the ice cream run, and other things, is no one's fault but your own.

The info was posted here on NAM and Mark sent out an email to everyone registered with a link to a printable event planner with those same details. If you didn't register and thus didn't get the link, oh well, next year collect the change from your couch and pony up the $5 to be registered.

We've already indicated that we'll do what we can to make the information more available AT fontana next year but each person is still responsible for knowing the information on their own.

For a nice hefty fee I'll be your personal planner next year and guarantee you won't miss anything.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Oh I'm sorry, would you like me to hold your hand? I can do that as well.
... For a nice hefty fee I'll be your personal planner next year and guarantee you won't miss anything.
So would the hand holding, minus event planning, be free or just discounted?

Originally Posted by snooter
I did not notice the photographer being rude. I know he was getting nervouse about the impending rain and was trying to rush us along. He did travel from Atlanta, pay for his own lodging and was concerned that it all might be wasted if he did not beat the rain. That said, George is a nice guy, but can come off rough to someone not familar with him. The cop on the other hand is inexcusable.
I DID notice George being a bit short with a few folks, I understand that he was probably stressed and wanted to get everyone to move with a purpose, but still... his tone as he asked the lady parked to my left if she knew "what a foot is?" was a bit course All in all though he did a good job of getting everyone where they needed to be and I look forward to getting my photo

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ssallykat
We had a blast this year. Spent our time motoring and hanging out with good friends.

I agree with a lot of the comments that there needs to be better socializing areas.

And I would like to suggest a larger MOTD logo cling for next year...instead of the three part design of this years. I ended up cutting out the small MOTD logo, and not using the NAM name or the vendor logo.
+1

I liked the bigger rally style cling we got with last years package. I had a collection going with those and the one from MTTS. I don't remember seeing any of the smaller ones from this year's MOTD on the cars....I say let the individual be responsible for displaying their user name on their car if they want to...

And if it matters, I thought things were much better publicized this year than last...

Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Drillslinger
So would the hand holding, minus event planning, be free or just discounted?
For you Mike, it's free

And I should apologize to whovous for being rude and taking a cheap shot at him with the registration comment. Sorry whovous.

I just hate seeing horses be beaten to death and I think the info availability horse is sufficiently pummeled.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a suggestion:

As NAM was the organizer and stands for North American Motoring, why not include the Canadian flag (and Mexican for that matter), when decorating the hall for the Welcome Dinner? We are, after all, part of North America.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Were there American flags there? I only recall seeing a butt-load of Union Jacks

Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Yes, there were.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
whovous
5th Gear
For you Mike, it's free

And I should apologize to whovous for being rude and taking a cheap shot at him with the registration comment. Sorry whovous.

I just hate seeing horses be beaten to death and I think the info availability horse is sufficiently pummeled.
Thanks, Matt. Of course, if the horse is well and truly dead, it ain't gonna feel the pummelization process. I'll shut up now.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
And if it doesn't feel the pummeling, then it certainly won't feel us grilling up a bunch of Horse-Burgers now... will it?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI....Actually the theme was supposed to pay homage to the MINIs birthplace which was tied in with the placemats. So we decided to go with the red white and blue theme and I tossed in a couple of US Flags for good measure!! We had 10 Union Jack Flags and 5 US Flags and NAM had nothing to do witht the Welcome Dinner.

Last edited by snooter; 05-11-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Actually the theme was supposed to pay homage to the MINIs birthplace which was tied in with the placemats. So we decided to go with the red white and blue theme and I tossed in a couple of US Flags for good measure!! NAM had nothing to do witht the Welcome Dinner.
My mistake. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Two words: SNOW CONES

They are refreshing and fun and were seriously lacking at MOTD this year and every year before. I think this event has finally grown large enough that we need a snow cone vendor throughout the event.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kamofrogg
On this note, we were talking about how expensive the photos are. If they were cheaper, lots more people would show up for it. Make people pre-order and pay in advance so they show up as promised, but find someone who can print the shots at a lower price. We were on top the the dam when they were lining up, and with a long lens and some photography know-how, you could get a GREAT shot from up there. Just face the cars toward the dam. There HAS to be someone with some photography experience and talent who would be willing to do the shot for us. We opted out because of the price, as did most everyone else who chose not to do it.
As a photographer, I can tell you that the cost of printing is a small factor and doesn't begin to cover the expenses. I wasn't at the shoot this year but I've seen George's work and it's impressive. I can tell you I certainly wouldn't want to try to wrangle that many people and cars for a group shot and his skill in doing that is part of what you're paying for (along with the gear, travel expenses, insurance, post-processing...). Like pretty much everything else, you get what you pay for.

Mark

Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MarkS
As a photographer, I can tell you that the cost of printing is a small factor and doesn't begin to cover the expenses. I wasn't at the shoot this year but I've seen George's work and it's impressive. I can tell you I certainly wouldn't want to try to wrangle that many people and cars for a group shot and his skill in doing that is part of what you're paying for (along with the gear, travel expenses, insurance, post-processing...). Like pretty much everything else, you get what you pay for.

Mark
True dat.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Soda Pop's
Neutral
I just wanted to say thank you to all the club members for making the ICE CREAM run to Soda Pop's, what a treat for me and my family! Already got my signed T-shirt up "thanks" The wife and I would love to have you all back again next year or any time you are coming Bryson City way.

Again, thanks to all who came and see ya back next year...

" I hope this was the right place to post my message"

Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

They are refreshing and fun and were seriously lacking at MOTD this year and every year before. I think this event has finally grown large enough that we need a snow cone vendor throughout the event.
That's a great idea didn't M7 have Slurpee machines last year?

Hmmmm....I think I'll be a food vendor next year

Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

What if someone dripped on a MINI?!?!?!

-Paul!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Soda Pop's
I just wanted to say thank you to all the club members for making the ICE CREAM run to Soda Pop's, what a treat for me and my family! Already got my signed T-shirt up "thanks" The wife and I would love to have you all back again next year or any time you are coming Bryson City way.

Thanks for making everyone feel so welcome! This was a good place to post and I'm sure the ice cream run will be duplicated next year.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:59 AM
whovous
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!

What if someone dripped on a MINI?!?!?!

-Paul!
I've drooled over a few. Does that count?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
As NAM was the organizer and stands for North American Motoring, why not include the Canadian flag (and Mexican for that matter), when decorating the hall for the Welcome Dinner? We are, after all, part of North America.
NAM had nothing to do witht the Welcome Dinner.
Big Daddy, although snooter is correct that the Welcome Dinner was not organized by NAM, you do make an excellent point (in general for MOTD as a whole). I am always thrilled every year to see some Canucks at MOTD... very impressed at them coming from so far away (same thing with Californians and other West Coasters). Bring on more Canadian flavor! Perhaps MINI Canada would be interested in participating to some extent alongside MINIUSA? That would be awesome.

What's after that? MINI Mexico? Olé!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Edge is right, I was not trying to dis our northern bretheren. I did fail to point out the theme of our dinner when I had the microphone in my hand (along with 10 other things I wanted to announce and forgot ). I too must take my hat off to all the Canucks that make the pilgrimage down to pay homage to the Dragon

Old 05-11-2007, 03:36 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Soda Pop's

------

I, for one, am bringing my wife to your place while we are at MME [MINI Meet East] in Alcoa, TN, at the end of next month. After riding the Dragon, she's gonna NEED some of your refreshing ice cream!

Thanks again...it REALLY hit the spot!

Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MOTD 2008 - Suggestions