5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

MOTD 2008 - Suggestions

Old 05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vargasgal
Same here...my only complaint is about the food served during the Dinner at the Grill. My entire dinner was pretty much inedible. I would have to guess it was plated about 30 minutes before I got it. By no means was that any fault of the organizers!!! Other than that, everything was great!
I'm very glad you put that the way you did. You may remember last year lots of people complained about paying $26 at the welcome dinner for burger and hot dogs that didn't taste good. As a result this year's dinner was $18 and the food was good. My food wasn't cold and there was plenty of it.

The organizers aren't going to Fontana saying, give me the crappiest cheapest food you can. They're expecting Fontana to provide a tasty meal. Now we know the Grill meal was bad. So next year we'll have to make sure that doesn't happen again.

But don't worry, the dinner thing should be much easier next year for everyone.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Dr.Who
Neutral
Everyone?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
I'm very glad you put that the way you did. You may remember last year lots of people complained about paying $26 at the welcome dinner for burger and hot dogs that didn't taste good. As a result this year's dinner was $18 and the food was good. My food wasn't cold and there was plenty of it.
Last year was $22

Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
unroolie_julie
Neutral
This was my first time......and come to think of it, I think this is my first post.....I had an awesome time! I met a ton of new people - what a great group of really interesting people.

No gripes from me whatsoever!

Thanks to everybody who had a hand in all the planning and execution of this unique event!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
I agree that the vendors shouldn't have taken the area in front of the adventure center. That is the mixing bowl where all the Mini owners meet, and this year there was no central point of MOTD @ Fontana. That was extremely dissapointing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the vendors were there. But making people (of all ages) park on a half mile long strip and hike up the hill to get to what few events were at the adventure center, isn't very cool. MOTD should be about the community, and the community should be the focus... Not taking that focus and putting it on the vendors for $$$ reasons. The vendors are indeed a part of the community and we recognize that... But everyone should have their place, and this year I feel the social aspect was left out. I hardly saw anyone hanging out at the grill or adventure center like last year, aside from those watching the vendors work on vehicles.
We're with you... And next time NAM hires a "security guard", please give him a uniform, a kart with flashing lights and a taser so we'll be more intimidated...I've seen better temper control from a three year old...way to go yelling at a customer/friend who had vinyls applied to his Mini at a vendors area to, and I quote, "GET YOUR FN CAR OUTTA HERE!!!"

Last edited by MSFITOY; 05-08-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
This was the first time for me and my daughter. We both had a great time. We stayed off site about 45 minutes away.

We missed the parade on Friday morning , but this was our fault.
I think registration sould have been more centrally located to the event instead of being hiddenaway down in the bowels of another building.

It seemed to me that the white board message never changed.

We did make the Drve-in, Great job. We made it to the group photo at the dam. Again great job. The Ice Cream Run, great job. The Saturday night run was just "Nuts",:impatient I sure would not want to be an outsider stumbling on to that site at the side of the road in Tenn. It looked like a UFO welcoming party.

I thought the vendors did a great job and their location worked for me. But it did tend to deteriorate towards the end on Sturday afternoon. (Rain to blame here). The car wash was a great idea.

I do wish there was more organized rides, not being from any of the attending clubs I did feel like an outsider from time to time. Overall everyone I met was friendly and engaging.

Next year we will have a better idea as to what to do.

Overall a fantastic job.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Yeah, no one really stepped up to offer organized drives like last year. And that's a shame. Hopefully more people will step up next year. If just half a dozen people would put together a drive the event would be exponentially better.
I'll be back next year with the Smoky Mountain Drive again! Maybe something new as well. I found that leading the drive really gave me a lot more enjoyment to the event and I'm looking forward to MOTD 2008!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by agranger
I'll be back next year with the Smoky Mountain Drive again! Maybe something new as well. I found that leading the drive really gave me a lot more enjoyment to the event and I'm looking forward to MOTD 2008!
Don't forget to bring mud tires this time, Aaron.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
One big complaint - I didn't appreciate getting interrogated and told to move my car by MOTD Staff when my car was parked in the vendor area and scheduled for an install. Completely unnecessary behaviour by your MOTD Staff Member and out of character for the event.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
We're with you... And next time NAM hires a "security guard", please give him a uniform, a kart with flashing lights and a taser so we'll be more intimidated...I've seen better temper control from a three year old...way to go yelling at a customer/friend who had vinyls applied to his Mini at a vendors area to, and I quote, "GET YOUR FN CAR OUTTA HERE!!!"
Originally Posted by krut
One big complaint - I didn't appreciate getting interrogated and told to move my car by MOTD Staff when my car was parked in the vendor area and scheduled for an install. Completely unnecessary behaviour by your MOTD Staff Member and out of character for the event.
+1

I had things installed from:
  • Way Motor Works
  • Custom Mini Shop
  • Detroit Tuned
  • GrassRoots Garage
  • Aesthetic Creations
  • Rogue MINIs
So I was in the vendor area for some time. Perhaps there should not be any installs done at MOTD so than Dragon Cop won't have to deal with cars being in the vendor area and threaten to tow your vehicle.

Last edited by JustJAY; 05-09-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not do a drive this year, but since Mark will be doing most of the dinners this year, I'm going to try to organize two drive over the four days.

Several folks have complained about the lack of drives this year. Agranger and I hosted them last year and we were both newbies. I have several great ideas for drives but one person can only do so much. If anyone wants to step up and head up a drive, I would be more than happy to help them get it started. And I know Aaron would be more than happy to share his lessons / experience learned from his drive also.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
A few more rants after reading last nights posts.
  • We arrived Thursday about 2:45PM knowing that kick off was at 3PM I expected a mob scene. I sent my wife to register for the event while I checked in with Fontana. To my surprise she was back up before I had my cabin key. No complaints here
  • On missing things and not finding things, well shame on you.. All 3 days we grabbed 2 beers and walked down from our cabin to see what we could see. We poked around just about every place we could. This included walking around and stopping to chat with other folks at their cabins. Thanks for the hospitality
  • On the dinners. I will not drop a plug nickel if i don't think something is wort it. I did not see any value in the BBQ or both of the farewell dinners. I did enjoy the welcome dinner. At the welcome dinner the chow lines moved quickly and I enjoyed the chicken. I only drank 3 of the over priced drinks then retired to my cabin for the free ones . For Saturdays dinner we grilled prime rib-eyes for about $10 a person at our cabin.
  • As I have said before I think the vendors were in a good location and I would like to see more!
  • The MINI parade was billed as a slow familiarization run but turned out to be much faster. If we bill it as such we need a pace car to slow it down some. This was our first time, I think I did fine but my wife wanted to walk back
  • I would like to see a swap meet but given how full my car was I don't see of others would be able to bring much
In closing, is It April 30, 2008 yet?

h

Old 05-09-2007, 05:25 AM
GP Steve
1st Gear
It was my first time at the MOTD and I genuinely enjoyed myself -- even my wife, a non-car nut, had a good time.
I agree with the comments that the Fontana Village may not have the space or the layout to adequately accommodate everything that was attempted. But, with each year of growth creates new problems to be discussed for next year.
I arrived for registration around 3pm and was off perusing the venders, walkin the village and had half my card stamped by afternoon. Most venders were there the first day. And, ended the day with a tour of the Dragon! Awsome.
The vender area did seem a focal point. I did feel that I was just stopping at there booths just for stamps, but I did allow them to sell their wears and did buy a few things. But the scavenger hunt is done for that purpose, to draw attention to them and in turn we get some great prizes. I enjoyed, during my moments of rest, to sit on the porches of the Adventure and Grill buildings and watch people "mingle" and to see the cars. If it is to grow, maybe move the vender area to where the car wash area was?
I enjoyed the Brew Swap, I thought that was excellent!
Yea, the food could have been better, the BBQ was sufficient for me, but the Grill alternative was less than good for an alternative to the banquet, for us who were new and unable to sign-up for the banquet. The food was over cooked, cold in some cases, and meack serving, but that is my biggest gripe!
Yea and I agree, read the emails and either write down the schedule and instructions or print them out. I printed out everything at work. I had so many people asking where and how, and it was all in the emails and the website in plain english!!! More lines are better!!! If they have the man power, you can always voulenteer!
And the speaker going to boring, most of the time! I have been to too many conferences and symosiums to know better, I just hope for a interesting one once in awhile.
I enjoyed everyone there and enjoyed the driving!! With between 400 to 600 car going in and out of a tight little village, I think things could have been worse -- but it couldnt have been easier or better done. Kudoes to NAM, the Clubs and venders and Fontana Village.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
This was mentioned in the thread about next year starting on Wednesday. It was suggested that since we have an extra day, we can double some of the more popular events. I say we add an extra daytime run, like maybe a waterfall run? We can do an extra event for the Little Dragons as well. I was thinking a pool party would be fun for them. It could be done rain or shine since there is an indoor pool.

I know it's tradition for the midnight run to be held on Saturday as a final farewell, but some people aren't night owls, or they have a long drive ahead of them Sunday, and can't attend. How about a midnight, or even just a "night" run on another night, as well as the traditional midnight run Saturday? I'm ok with midnight, but I know there are many people who skip it because it's too late.

We didn't purchase dinner tickets for our kids because just one meal for two kids (plus the $5 registration each) was over $40, just for the kids. So we didn't get to eat dinner with our kids at all. For the sit down dinners, it would be great to have a kids meal, at a cheap price. Offer hot dogs and chips for $5-$8 per kid, and they'll be thrilled. And offer the kids meal to teens as well, so the parents can choose to get them a fancy dinner, or a cheap dinner. Parents know what their picky teens will eat, and whether it's worth it to pay the price for the nicer meal.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kamofrogg
We didn't purchase dinner tickets for our kids because just one meal for two kids (plus the $5 registration each) was over $40, just for the kids. So we didn't get to eat dinner with our kids at all. For the sit down dinners, it would be great to have a kids meal, at a cheap price. Offer hot dogs and chips for $5-$8 per kid, and they'll be thrilled. And offer the kids meal to teens as well, so the parents can choose to get them a fancy dinner, or a cheap dinner. Parents know what their picky teens will eat, and whether it's worth it to pay the price for the nicer meal.
A-Men Kamo... agree completely. We actually didn't do any of the dinners because we knew our kids wouldn't eat their weight in food... next year we'd like to do them - and the kids want to come next year, too.

The pool party is a great idea.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A kids' meal/pricing is something that has already been discussed and will be looked into.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Someone mentioned in another thread about doing the farewell dinner as a lunch - that sounds like a good idea to explore. If not a lunch - maybe an early dinner - like 3 or 4pm - then there can be an activity, possibly MINI Monte Carlo Night, and it wouldn't interfere with Midnight on the Dragon. Just a thought...

Hmmmm, thinking out loud here - maybe a welcome lunch and dinner & a farewell lunch and dinner - the same meals but at different times. Of course, that would require a lot of man power - but that could also be seen as opportunities for other clubs to do an event. If the meals are simple and spaced about 1-2 hours apart for clean up - actually one plan would just need to be implemented for both meals. People who arrive early can go to the lunch and people who arrive later, like after 3pm can go to the dinner. Then the same premise for the farewell meals - you can choose the earlier meal or the later meal. This would also be able to accomodate more people. Something to think about.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
I think the titles of "Welcome" & "Farewell" are going to be a moot point in 2008. The style preferred by most, and which would allow unlimited people for the meals, is the rotating meal times where people can come anytime between certain hours to grab their bite.

Would there be tables? Of course. Will there be a structure of prizes, speakers, etc. as there has been up to this point, probably not. I think the dinners will become more of a necessity style event (gotta eat) as opposed to a social event.

This isn't a bad thing as long as we have other social events (beyond the Brew Swap & Monte Carlo night) for everyone to gather. And yes we are working on those as well.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 AM
SB
6th Gear
I agree that Tent City needs to move. It takes so much away from MOTD when you overlook tents instead of MINIs. A thought on this since obviously installs need to be done on a level area but not much space is available like that. How about seperating the installation from the shopping areas? Most vendors have multiple persons at a tent so this should be something that can be done.

The ball field was mentioned but turned down as a place not acceptable to do installs. I would think a portion of it could be designated for shopping tents only while still leaving room for the drive-in on Saturday. If you want something installed then have that done down in the parking area next to the general store. This would not only relieve traffic congestion on the the main road in front of the general store. It would give the upper parking area back to the MINIs, have a place to walk around to look at merchandise without worrying about cars and the install area wouldn't be as packed.

The parking situation this year was ridiculuos. The only option for most to park was on the side of the street. As narrow and dark as those streets are after the dinners let out. It's not very safe for pedestrians or cars from accidently getting hit.

Besides. What looks and feels more like a MINI event?

This......

or this?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
SB, I totally agree with you on the look and feel of previous MOTDs and this year near the Adventure Center. Having a large tent for the dinners with the Vendor shopping areas circling it has been brought up and is being considered.

However, the install area you suggest cannot be used. As has been posted numerous times, that area floods during rains and renders it a useless area for installs. A drier place is needed.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
After reading posts on the Midnight on the Dragon ride, maybe it should be renamed to The Wildlife Avoidance Run or Dodge a Deer Run

Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SB
It would be really nice to see this again next year

If the large dinner tent were moved to the old registration parking lot & the vendors along with it... having the dinners by the vendors would ensure that they still get plenty of foot traffic while still leaving us attendees a nice central gathering place.

Last edited by bamatt; 05-09-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
My question would be how much if any do the vendors contribute in money and swag for the event. If it is substantial I would bet that they would be against being stuffed in some out of the way spot at this point.

Originally Posted by SB
I agree that Tent City needs to move. It takes so much away from MOTD when you overlook tents instead of MINIs. A thought on this since obviously installs need to be done on a level area but not much space is available like that. How about seperating the installation from the shopping areas? Most vendors have multiple persons at a tent so this should be something that can be done.

The ball field was mentioned but turned down as a place not acceptable to do installs. I would think a portion of it could be designated for shopping tents only while still leaving room for the drive-in on Saturday. If you want something installed then have that done down in the parking area next to the general store. This would not only relieve traffic congestion on the the main road in front of the general store. It would give the upper parking area back to the MINIs, have a place to walk around to look at merchandise without worrying about cars and the install area wouldn't be as packed.

The parking situation this year was ridiculuos. The only option for most to park was on the side of the street. As narrow and dark as those streets are after the dinners let out. It's not very safe for pedestrians or cars from accidently getting hit.

Besides. What looks and feels more like a MINI event?

This......

or this?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM
jrudy01
2nd Gear
here's an idea that i guess is multiples of everyone's ideas

Do all the vendors on the grass. All sales take place there. Then they would get a receipt for the mods to be done in the lots behind the grill area or down at the old registration office.

Just another thought of how to keep the vendors together, plus give the mechanics flat ground besides the main area where everyone wants to meet.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
It would be really nice to see this again next year
I agree. Why not put the vendors on the next level down and the installers in the area around the General Store and Wash/Detail venue? If that is not an option, what about using the old "Registration Area"? It's spacious enough and seems dry if it rains [no flooding issues or mudslides].

We enjoyed the informality of the BBQ, and even though the food wasn't warm, it was a heck of a lot better than that of the Welcome Dinner, with its impossible-to-cut, tough, grisly, artery-choked "beef" [which I pitched]. The actual Farewell Dinner was good, but my friend had to go to the Grill for his meal. As stated by many, it was a farce and definitely NOT worth the money.

I tossed the Scavenger Hunt stamp card when I found out Saturday that many vendors had disappeared and that it was impossible to fill the card and become eligible for prizes. This just isn't "cool", given the fact that we pay for all this.

Like some, I think a more informal mixers under various tents would be of greater convenience than sit down "dinners". The tents could be used for serving. People could use existing places to sit and eat, or bring their folding chairs, or just stand around like they always do anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MOTD 2008 - Suggestions