4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Dragon Jam Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Dragon Jam Stuff

Everyone, due to unforeseen personal circumstances, CooperBeagle, who was going to be Musical Director of the Jam, is unable to attend MOTD.

Shall we go on with the Jam, even though it will be REALLY loose?

I'd like to open this up for discussion. If someone else would like to step forward to organize the musical part that Jeff was going to plan, like coming up with a suggested songlist/lyric sheets, you are most enthusiastically encouraged!

All thoughts and suggestions are sincerely welcome and eagerly sought.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I see that 23 people have viewed this thread, but no comments? Argh! :impatient

Old 03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I was just going to be a groupie anyway (not necessarily a jammer, unless someone gave me a shot with the finger cymbals...), I think it would be nice to keep some form of the Jam. The show must go on, so to speak.

Here's a crazy idea I just thought of... what if the Jam morphed into the OT Talent Showcase? We could attempt to entertain each other. Heck, if we could just get the music for West Side Story, we could sing the songs sndwave wrote for MINI Side Story! Perhaps there could also be some Draggin' on the Dragon for UKNUT and Lotsie!

Old 03-21-2006, 01:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Okay, so we have a suggestion for a Talent Showcase, to be emceed by two of NAM's finest queens, Lotsie and UKNutsie! Woo hooo!

sndwave.....have you finished your MINIside Story songbook?

Other suggestions, contributions? I guess this could be our very own version of American Idol: The-Off-Topic-Band-Dragon-Jam-MINI-Idol-side-Story!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
What I'm I going to do now I can't play a instrument I was just going to clap or something. As for talent

Old 03-21-2006, 04:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by TheWrks
What I'm I going to do now I can't play a instrument I was just going to clap or something. As for talent
We're discussing what to do, sweetie. Interested in being part of a Drag revue?

Old 03-21-2006, 05:01 PM
TheWrks
Originally Posted by MINIclo
We're discussing what to do, sweetie. Interested in being part of a Drag revue?
You funny Clo

Old 03-21-2006, 05:06 PM
inioway
6th Gear
I think much of the planning must be due to it being staged like a performance. That's fine if there are people able to devote enough time for planning and set up etc. Possibly this year it should be done more like a variation on song circles.

Song circles are when musicians go around a circle each singing their songs. The variation would be those who decide to play together and anyone else knowing the song (or people simply wanting to clap, drum, play cowbell ( ), tuba or anything that might work for the song, join in. We can decide on tunes via this thread and people can also bring copies of sheet music they either want to try or hear.

For example awhile back in the Off Topic Band thread chrisneal and I decided to practice a song called "Cold Water" by Tom Waits on his "Mule Variations" album. Not only is it a fun song made all the more fun by belting out the vocals even if a bit out of tune, the chord pattern is easy: A E and D only gets it played.

I've been looking forward to playing that with Chris and any others that know it. I am mostly just a strummer. Chris is the guitar god. So, imo, it is more about attitude than talent.

So, anyone who likes that tune and wants to join in, please be practicing even if just clapping along. Even better if you can teach this hack some riffs for it.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 PM
lotsie
Banned
The first thing that comes to mind as I post this, is that cooperbeagle and his loved ones are ok.

As far as hosting, and dressing in drag go, I'm easy.

My talents are as a stagehand. I'm going to bring some lighting gear, don't worry Lois, it's mini gear

If we can make a talent night work, that would be great. I have some skill at running a stage, and can even speak in front of people, not well, but I'm willing.

It would be to bad if this event did not happen, and it will take some more work from those of us that were hoping to just sit back and enjoy it.

We still have time, and hopefully a want for this to happen. Lets just figure it out, and make it happen.

Mark

Old 03-21-2006, 06:27 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Well, I want to thank MINItencan (Cheryl) and Tom from Indiana for having enough faith in the Jam to register for it today! That is so nice!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll be there.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inioway
I am mostly just a strummer. Chris is the guitar god.
Alright now, let's just be reasonable here. A guitar god I ain't, but Cold Water has not too crazy a guitar solo. If I started practicing now, I might be able to work up something serviceable. If someone else will take the vocal lead (any 5-packs-of-smokes-a-day folks among us?), I think I can handle the lead guitar on that one. Not that I won't join in on the vocals mind you; I just don't want it to be my voice screaming "There ain't nothin' sweeter than a-ridin' the rails"

I think we can come up with a list of songs in that vein (3-4 chords tops) that are basically well-known to everybody, so that people could just join in however they are able. We can post the chords here in the next couple of weeks, so that folks have time to get a feel for them. I think I could probably e-mail mp3s to anyone that wanted them.

Here are a few off the top of my head, but I have to be up way early tomorrow, so not much time to think at the moment:

Rolling Stones "Dead Flowers" - it's just D A G and I know the main riff, but it's got a fairly nasty guitar solo that I'm not going anywhere near in public.

Bob Dylan "Girl From The North Country" - super easy. It's just three chords, I think something like G Em C G.

Bob Dylan "Tangled Up In Blue" - a little harder, but still pretty easy, and everybody knows it. The verses are just A G D, but the chorus adds an E and an F sharp minor. Just a suggestion. If we had a couple of guitars banging out the F#m, it wouldn't matter much if everyone else skimmed over it. (I think)

Velvet Underground "Pale Blue Eyes" - it has five chords, but they're easy: C F G Am Em.

Tom Petty "Free Fallin'" is pretty easy, just three chords through the whole song.

And Bob, perhaps you could lead us in a blistering rendition of "Here Comes The Sun"?

I think we can do this. The only thing I have just no clue about is sound - who has amps, how the heck a mic works, or if any of that is even necessary.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:49 AM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
Well, I want to thank MINItencan (Cheryl) and Tom from Indiana for having enough faith in the Jam to register for it today! That is so nice!
It will be a good time no matter the format!

Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
sndwave.....have you finished your MINIside Story songbook?
Sorry Clo. I've been a little down and out. I need to get feeling better before I get back to that project.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:17 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
groupie, checking in

Old 03-22-2006, 04:30 AM
lotsie
Banned
chrisneal, if there is gear there, I can make it work, if there is no gear, we just sit closer

Mark

Old 03-22-2006, 04:34 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I'll be there Can't do much of anything musically but I'm great at humming

Lois

Old 03-22-2006, 05:33 AM
inioway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Alright now, let's just be reasonable here. A guitar god I ain't, but Cold Water has not too crazy a guitar solo. If I started practicing now, I might be able to work up something serviceable. If someone else will take the vocal lead (any 5-packs-of-smokes-a-day folks among us?), I think I can handle the lead guitar on that one. Not that I won't join in on the vocals mind you; I just don't want it to be my voice screaming "There ain't nothin' sweeter than a-ridin' the rails"

...and Bob, perhaps you could lead us in a blistering rendition of "Here Comes The Sun"?

I think we can do this. The only thing I have just no clue about is sound - who has amps, how the heck a mic works, or if any of that is even necessary.

Though a one-a-day (well, maybe two sometimes) newly born cigar smoker, even I can do the raspy voice. "I woke up this morning in a cedar grove, I was born do ramble I was born to roam...". Much as I love "Here Comes the Sun" that one would require someone who can actually sing.

I'm still thinking smaller song circles that wouldn't require much more than instruments and maybe some Lights by Lotsie. If we want amplification those smokey amps might suffice. These are 9 volt amps Chris introduced me to are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. An acoustic with electronics sounds pretty clear through one. An electric has a fun fuzzy distorted tone that is fun doing "Cold Water" with while Waits rasps on about reading his Bible by a 40 watt bulb.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
lotsie
Banned
I can make a handsaw sing, but they frown on us bringing tools across the border

I can whistle show tunes, but I won't have any stuck in my head then, but if anyone wants to come up here in August, I'll have the song list from The Wizard of Oz, burned into my brain.

Maybe I'll just stick to the lights

Mark

Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I thought I'd maybe help put out chairs.....and then sit on one.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
TheWrks
Originally Posted by Ran48
I thought I'd maybe help put out chairs.....and then sit on one.
I can do that

Old 03-22-2006, 07:58 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I'm bringing my trusty comb and waxed paper...and maybe a kazoo, as well.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:46 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i can flip the burgers......and then eat one

Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Darth_Cooper
3rd Gear
I hope that CooperBeagle is okay.
I will keep an eye on this thread to see if I should still bring my drums.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Update!

Okay....we are still on for the Jam! It will be a bit looser without our original Musical Director.

Bring your favorite packable instruments, a folding chair, and your beverage(s) of choice!

We'll have fun!!!

Quick Reply: Dragon Jam Stuff