3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

Keeping In Touch at MOTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Keeping In Touch at MOTD

I thought I would put together a thread about 'communication' at MOTD. As many have found out, cell phone service is nonexistent in the area around the Dragon, Fontana Village and Tapoco. Also, many of the cabins did not have telephones in them (though I understand this is supposed to be rectified by the time of MOTD). Many (like me) enjoyed the sense of isolation that made our temporary 'community' even closer, but still wanted or needed to keep in touch. People instead began to rely on "FRS radios" (small, handheld UHF walkie-talkies operating in the Family Radio Service band) to keep in touch amongst themselves and others. These radios are cheap (often as low as $30 for a pair) and quite effective in moderate distances. They feature 14 channels and are often smaller than some modern cell phones.

In the mountainous areas that make up the Dragon, range of these radios is limited, sometimes to less than half a mile. In more open areas, such as Fontana, they can cover most of not all the entire area. This makes them perfect for short range communication.

The 'official' channel used by MINI clubs and events seems to have become channel 7 subchannel 21. This works well because it's within the band used by almost all FRS radios, plus it is in the same band as the FRS radio's more powerful cousin, GMRS. In events past, 7-21 became the place to keep in contact with each other. When caravaning, these allow you to talk among the cars. On the Dragon, they are used to alert each other of potential hazards. You get the idea. Set your radio to 7-21 and you'll be 'in the know'.

Some etiquette and helpful hints:

-If you want to have extended communication with someone, it's best to move to another channel. Dont simply move to another subchannel, since your conversation will still occupy the frequency and interfere with with other conversations on the frequency, or general conversations will interfere with your own traffic.

-Establish 'group' or 'club' channel/subchannels ahead of time. If families or clubs want to stick together over the airwaves, decide upon another channel where you can communicate. This keeps your conversations out of general traffic and you donmt have to filter out non-group talk.

-Don't "broadcast" unnecessarily. At last year's MOTD, someone occasionally would transmit the Austin Powers theme song in it's entirety. This blocked the channel from being used. Broadcasting the impending start of an event can be helpful. Playing music over the radios isn't.

-Leave the phone number of your respective lodging area with others as an emergency contact, along with your room number once you know it.

-Don't even try to use a cell phone while driving on the Dragon and surrounding areas. It wont work, and you will need both hands for safe driving, even though you might be taking a leisurely pace (if there is such a thing at the Dragon! ).

-Keep your radio on at all times while driving the Dragon. Use it if you spot trouble.

-"Relay" information if needed. In the tightest areas of the Dragon where it hugs the mountains, your signal might not make it more than a quarter mile ahead or behind your position. If you hear someone warning of a hazard ahead, repeat it for those following you. If you have passed a trouble spot, alert oncoming traffic.

These are just some of the things that can be done to keep everyone informed and make their time more enjoyable and safe.

It's also my understanding that Fontana might be providing some form of internet access for those who need to 'stay connected'. More info on that if it becomes available.

Feel free to add more to this list if you have anything. I'll edit this list when needed.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am interested in the "some sort of internet". . . .

Let's pray they install a wi-fi hub for all of us internet junkies with laptops!

Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
I am interested in the "some sort of internet". . . .

Let's pray they install a wi-fi hub for all of us internet junkies with laptops!
High Speed Internet will be available in 2006. And I'm not sure about the phone situation is ALL cabins....but work is supposed to be going on before we get there.

As of the radios ---Greatbear, as always you are a wealth of wonderful information. Thank you for the advice. I've heard that there is a way to set-up some radios to "scan" several channels, so you could stay on top of the 7-21 OFFICIAL channel and your club/family channel as well....Oh, great one, do you give a primer in that too?

Hugs,
PB

Old 02-15-2005, 12:37 PM
moonpie
2nd Gear
While I agree cell phones don't generally work on the dragon especially at the store, there are places where they will work. If you happen upon an accident and you need to call EMS try your cell phone first if it doesn't work try moving a little maybe around the next curve and see if you find service. If you call the local EMS it takes about 30 minutes for them to get there, so time is critical.
And please be cafeful.
The funniest thing I ever saw up there was a guy who kept saying "he had apexed the curve perfectly". But I kept thinking if he had apexed the curve perfectly then why was his Subaru off the road and resting against a tree?

Old 02-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Greatbear
Being able to 'scan' channels depends on the radio. Most have a feature that will simply scan all the channels, stopping where there is a signal. Higher-end models sometimes incorporate a 'dual watch' feature that look for signals on a secondary channel(s) you specify as well as the primary channel. Keep these ideas in mind if you are going to buy a radio or set of radios. Steer clear of the very cheap versions that have a limited amount of channels and/or dont use subchannels. If you use a GMRS radio that has more than 14 channels, remember that not everyone will have those and will not be able to communicate using those channels (this can be a plus if you want to have channels more to yourself/your group).

As for the guy who 'apexed the curve perfectly', perhaps he got so caught up in his accomplishment that he forgot to straighten up after the curve?

Old 02-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
I do have an emergency radio scanner for all types of emergencies, I.E. Firefighting, Police, EMS, Weather. One of those things citizens shouldn't have but one of those things Emergency Personnell should have like I did over the Summer.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i look at it as a blast from the past, no cells

Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
no cell phones ... heart beats faster... short of breath... beads of sweat develop...

I'll bring lots o' batteries or invest in walkie-talkies that can be charged.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by imavunderbrah
no cell phones ... heart beats faster... short of breath... beads of sweat develop...

I'll bring lots o' batteries or invest in walkie-talkies that can be charged.
Who ya goin' to call???? All your closest friends will be with you at the Dragon, right???

Hugs,
PB

Old 02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
you'll be fine....you might even find it relaxing:smile:
btw: i'll be vactioning (MOTD) from work during a install (that i'm in charge of) i'm sure they (the job-site) will be trying to call me with questions...the phone is on the hook but no ones answering = vacation

Old 02-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Greatbear
By the looks of things there might have to be a channel set aside for the chili cookoff contestants to taunt one another!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BabsWife
Who ya goin' to call???? All your closest friends will be with you at the Dragon, right???

Hugs,
PB
good point... I'm bringing all the really important ones with me. Internet is causing a bit of a panic too, but I'm desperately holding onto the notion of getting wireless in the "lobby" or whatever it is, by the time we're there. I won't need to keep up with our MichiganMINI site since a HUGE portion of the club will be there.

I just might find the no cell thing relaxing. I can't think of a time where my cell either isn't actually in my hand or at least in sight distance. Its a security blanket.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:39 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
good point... I'm bringing all the really important ones with me. Internet is causing a bit of a panic too, but I'm desperately holding onto the notion of getting wireless in the "lobby" or whatever it is, by the time we're there. I won't need to keep up with our MichiganMINI site since a HUGE portion of the club will be there.

I just might find the no cell thing relaxing. I can't think of a time where my cell either isn't actually in my hand or at least in sight distance. Its a security blanket.
The promise of high speed internet connection is for 2006, not for 2005. As of my last call to the Fontana -- unless you use dial-up; you are out of luck on the internet for a weekend.

However, I KNOW this from experience.....no one's posting on NAM (cause we are all at the Dragon) -- internet life halts -- its the rules

Hugs,
PB

Old 02-16-2005, 10:47 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
**FLASH** a new cell tower has been erected at the Dragon

Old 02-16-2005, 10:48 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Right-o. I concede. Its for the best. Now how do we get that countdown to move faster?!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by koolmini
**FLASH** a new cell tower has been erected at the Dragon

JUST as I post you post this.. do not toy with the emotions of the vulnerable

Old 02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
^^^^^^^PSYCH

Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Right-o. I concede. Its for the best. Now how do we get that countdown to move faster?!
Wrap the space-time continum. But be warned there are consquences.

Hugs,
PB

Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WEll if the consequences mean that my brake pads become new and my warranty is extended, then go for it and bend space-time as you see fit!

Old 02-16-2005, 11:44 AM
BamaGirl
2nd Gear
I am like some of you, I have trouble living with out my cell phone! Hubby and I went to Gatlinberg and Cherokee for Thanksgiving and had no cell service for about 4 days!!! I finally found a 50 foot stretch on the Parkway and I made him stop, pull off the side of the road, in the snow, so I could call everyone! Then no one was home!!!!!! So I wound up leaving everyone messages that I had no cell service and to have a Happy Thanksgiving! It really sucked! But someone told me it was because I use Nextel.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:01 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I'm with Kool on this one. My trips to the Dragon are to be away from a phone. I know some may have reasons to be in contact with home or work for a reason, but it may be just the thing you need to teach most of you to ditch the toys and just have fun for a weekend without them.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:05 PM
moonpie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
But someone told me it was because I use Nextel.
Yeah if you use Nextel in NC you only have service in the citys. Hopefully it will improve since they have merged with another company.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Greatbear
I actually prefer the isolation. It feels good to be "unplugged" for a while, the only communication going on is among our fellow 'Dragonphiles'.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I'm sorry I'm just baffled by everyone who says that they're headed to The Dragon (or anywhere else with poor cell coverage for that matter) to "get away" from their cell phone...

Every cell phone I've ever seen has this magical button that makes it impossible to receive a call or make a call... Are people afraid to use it? Is it like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters... very very bad? Last I checked the world won't end if a cell phone is turned off...

Old 02-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Greatbear
I'm sorry I'm just baffled by everyone who says that they're headed to The Dragon (or anywhere else with poor cell coverage for that matter) to "get away" from their cell phone...
I don't use my cell phone too much. What I find refreshing about the Dragon is not being around others who are using them. No one-sided, too-loud conversations, no Britney Spears ringtones, no self-important 'work' going on during what is supposed to be a 'getaway' from it all.

Quick Reply: Keeping In Touch at MOTD