1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Noise in rear wheelwell

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:33 PM
mcbean7
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Noise in rear wheelwell

Hello All.
I have an 05 MCSC with 4000 miles on it. I recently noticed a clicking noise in the rear right wheel well at slow speeds. The noise is not detectable above 30 mph (I'm not sure if it goes away or the road noise masks it). A couple of days ago I noticed the sound getting louder. I've looked inside the wheel well and cannot see anything loose. I've wiggled the rims and cannot feel anything loose or vibrating. The sound is best described as a loose piece of plastic hitting on metal.
Has anyone had this problem or know what cause might be? I'd thought I'd try here first before taking her in to the dealership.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 PM
theblueone
1st Gear
What wheels do you have? I remember seeing posts a while ago about the web spoke wheels making a clicking sound.
John

Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 AM
MINI-stir
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mcbean7
Hello All.
I have an 05 MCSC with 4000 miles on it. I recently noticed a clicking noise in the rear right wheel well at slow speeds. The noise is not detectable above 30 mph (I'm not sure if it goes away or the road noise masks it). A couple of days ago I noticed the sound getting louder. I've looked inside the wheel well and cannot see anything loose. I've wiggled the rims and cannot feel anything loose or vibrating. The sound is best described as a loose piece of plastic hitting on metal.
Has anyone had this problem or know what cause might be? I'd thought I'd try here first before taking her in to the dealership.
Thanks in advance.
In another thread, Greatbear wrote:

A rhythmic tapping or bumping is sometimes caused by the emissions control system, specifically the canister purge or leak detection pump. The canister purge solenoid is up front, but can sometimes relay sound theough the fuel vapor line under the car. The leak detection pump is under the florr beneath the rear seat on '05 and later cars, and inside the reat fender above the tire on earlier cars. Both of these systems usually run for a short time immediately upon starting the car for the first time then arent heard from for the rest of the day in most cases.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:41 AM
mcbean7
1st Gear
Originally Posted by theblueone
What wheels do you have? I remember seeing posts a while ago about the web spoke wheels making a clicking sound.
John
I have the web spoke wheels. I called the dealership today and they cannot get me in until next week! What a crock! I'm going to take the wheel off today to see if I can see anything rubbing.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 AM
mcbean7
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINI-stir
In another thread, Greatbear wrote:

A rhythmic tapping or bumping is sometimes caused by the emissions control system, specifically the canister purge or leak detection pump. The canister purge solenoid is up front, but can sometimes relay sound theough the fuel vapor line under the car. The leak detection pump is under the florr beneath the rear seat on '05 and later cars, and inside the reat fender above the tire on earlier cars. Both of these systems usually run for a short time immediately upon starting the car for the first time then arent heard from for the rest of the day in most cases.
If this is the cause...will the noise click faster with increased speed and slower with decreased speed? I notice the clicking increasing and decreasing with speed. If this is the problem...any fixes I can do at home? I can't get into the dealership until next thursday and the noise is driving me crazy.
Thanks for you reply.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:57 AM
swizzle
3rd Gear
Could it be something stuck in the tire tread? Small pebbles or something. You could also try jacking up the car, spinning that wheel and listen for anything interfering. Do you have run flats or standard tires?

Swizzle
Stir it Up!

Old 06-15-2006, 09:03 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
should this be redirected to MINItalk rather than 1st gear?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 AM
mcbean7
1st Gear
Originally Posted by swizzle
Could it be something stuck in the tire tread? Small pebbles or something. You could also try jacking up the car, spinning that wheel and listen for anything interfering. Do you have run flats or standard tires?

Swizzle
Stir it Up!
Swizzle...you hit the nail right on the head...literally! You're not going to believe this. I jacked the car up and took off the tire to see if I can see any indication of rubbing anywhere. Low and behold...there is a nail sticking out the side of the tire. The nail is so long that it rubs up against the frame of the car in the wheel well. The nail barely skimmed the side of the tire. I do have run flat tires. I guess it's time for a new tire.
Thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:12 AM
swizzle
3rd Gear
Glad you found the problem. Interesting that the low tire pressure indicator didn't light up. With all the construction going on in the world these days, it's surprising we don't find more nails in our tires. Ride on!

Swizzle
Stir it Up!