1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro post - just joined NAM

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Baltimoron
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro post - just joined NAM

Howdy, Geoff here, just trading up from a 04 indigo Mini to an 05 dark silver S convertible. Curious about a few options like the wind deflector, sportlink, ipod connector, and issues like rear visibility on the road with top down, I'm finding most of what I need searching the archive. I think I have the factory stuff under control but if anybody has a "must have" option, let me know, I have about a week before I have to finalize decisions...wavering slightly on the color but trying to stay strong

Geoff, Baltimore, MD

Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Inimay
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During the test drive (be it at 36 degrees) I tested the visibility.. good with the top down. Marginal with the top up. Like most converts, there is a big blind spot looking over your shoulder. We spent some time checking it out, my wife especially as she is coming from a Jeep Cherokee.

It is disconcerning at first but I know we will get used to it, just have to be more aware when changing lanes etc.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to NAM!

when I drove a Cabrio - it was tougher to see behind with the top up, but visibility is great with the top down

Old 01-19-2005, 05:10 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome, Geoff! Love that username...very clever!

Do the cabrios come standard with the PDC (park distance control)? I'd suggest getting that if it is an option, but it seems like it should be standard equipment on the cabrio.

You getting the black bonnet stripes? They look fantastic on the DS MCSC!

Clover

Old 01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are going to LOVE the Cabrio! Ours arrived in September and I am just ga ga over it... Yes - there are some blind spots that will take some getting used to if you haven't driven a rag top before...and the PDC comes standard on the 05' models.

I received the wind blocker for Christmas....have to say it works great - but - with the front windows mostly up. For us girls that care about what their hair looks like when they get to point B from point A...I give it a

Welcome aboard my friend...

Chow!

Donna

Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM
schwanginpt
1st Gear
welcome to NAM i have a fellow "neighbor" here on the forum. I'm from MD myself (20 min north of Baltimore)

i don't have any experience with the Convertable MINI, but I can tell you that I must have the iPod adapter. I have an iTrip now, and it's great, but i really want to be able to control the iPod from the steering wheel. and it's basically an Alpine adapter modified for the MINI radio.

I also personally want a glove box organizer as well. but that's all for the "must buy"

welcome again

Old 01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Baltimoron
Neutral
well thanks everyone

Thanks for all the welcomes and intel...Quite a community here which is just an added bonus given my experience with a really fun car...I'm going to stay low profile without bonnet stripes and for now I'll just get some extra product to keep the hair in place until I figure out whether I need the wind deflector or not. All my music is on the Pod now, so the connector seems like a given...is there a site for exchanging "what's on my Pod" for Mini owners (all late 80's except for some Snow Patrol, Secret Machines, Kasey Chambers and Rachael Yamagata or Yamaguchi, whichever one isn't the skater)? Visiting the plant late next month so let me know if u need me to genuflect for a special production slot for u or a friend. Thanks gang
-geoff

Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Always great to see a fellow MDer show up.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:27 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
I agree with schwanginpt! The iPod adapter is the MUST have! I love how technologically cool these cars are!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 AM
mdchachi
Neutral
Probably a stupid question but is the iPod adapter strictly for Ipods? Or is it basically a input jack for any generic MP3 player?

Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Aux Input a simple 1/8 inch stereo input jack that you can use for any portable music player, be it an iPod, a walkman, etc. FOr less than 40 bux, it's a great thing to add to your MINI stereo system. There is also a kit available that is specific to iPods only which allow you to use the steering wheel buttons to control the oeration of the iPod, albeit in a somewhat limited manner compared to it's own controls. You need a iPod with a 'dock connector' (3rd or 4th generation) for this to work.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mdchachi
Probably a stupid question but is the iPod adapter strictly for Ipods? Or is it basically a input jack for any generic MP3 player?
There are 2 options. The iPod adapter is a more advanced one. It is for ipods only and allows you to use the stereo headunit (or steering wheel) controls to control the ipod.

There is also an input jack that can be used for anything.

I chose the input jack, even though I have an ipod. The ipod adapter is great since (a) it powers the ipod so you don't have to worry about the batteries draining constantly, and (b) it gets around the dangerous practice of trying to use an ipod while driving!. But it only allows you to listen to 5 (or is it 6?) playlists - you cannot use it to listen to albums (unless you set up an album as a playlist).

I wanted the option to play albums, since that is a definite advantage with the music I listen to. Plus, the aux input only costs $40 and I could install it myself!

Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 AM
GuateMINI
2nd Gear
iPod Connector YES

Our Avispón Verde has the iPod connector. It is wonderful! On the five day 3000 mile drive to break in the car it allowed to listen to great tunes (in the middle of rural SouthWest and Mexico) and audio books which is a must when you are doing 15 hour days.

The auxiliary approach is great if there are other things you want to connect, but the iPod meets my needs and it is good to be able to use the multi-function buttons. Previous posts are right that it doesn't give you as much flexibility as the iPod's regular interface but you get five playlists or the whole iPod which is good enough for me.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Goatherder
3rd Gear
Heated Seats!!! Don't forget those!

Old 01-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Baltimoron
Neutral
heated seats and seat covers

Definitely getting the heated seats! I rode with a friend in his beemer with heated seats a couple of years ago mid-winter and was a changed man! I posted a thread in one of the other forums about whether or not to get seat covers. Everyone was pro covers, noting it was important to make sure they were compatible with airbags if not from Mini. Someone directed me to the wet okole site and they look really cool but I assume because they are neoprene they wouldn't let the seat heaters heat through in winter and I'm too lazy to be taking them on and off. Any cover lovers out there? I'm thinking tartan red to dress up my dark silver...

Old 01-22-2005, 07:50 AM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
New Member Intro

I joined a few weeks ago. Traded up from a 02 MC to a 05 MCSC, Chili Red/black leather/black top. Love the car but wish the weather would cooperate. I live in western MD (Hagerstown) and it has been cold and now very cold with lots of snow. Commute to and from Ft. Detrick every day about a 60 mile trip. Fantastic commuter car, gets decent mileage, great handling, and of course lots of stares. Hoping to become active with local clubs as time permits. DC Metro MINIs folks are talking about a spring ride in the Shenandoah Valley. Sounds like fun. Hope to meet some of you guys in the coming months.

Randall & Laura Morin
Hagerstown, MD