1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member from New Jersey - Wants Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 07:12 AM
gbsher
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member from New Jersey - Wants Convertible

Hello,

I have always wanted a convertible. I currently lease a Saab 9 5 sedan and have about 18 months left. I was planning to replace it at lease end with a Saab 9 3 convertible..... that was until a got a look at the Mini Cooper S convertible. I didn't get a chance to drive it yet, but I spent at least an hour sitting in one at a dealership in New York City. It just felt so good to sit in, I hope I am equally impressed when I take a test drive.

So I found NAM while searching for information about Mini Cooper. What a great resource. Think I may be spending some time in here.

Regards.

:smile:

Old 12-12-2004, 07:35 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to NAM. :smile: You found us just in time.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:03 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by gbsher
Hello,

I have always wanted a convertible. I currently lease a Saab 9 5 sedan and have about 18 months left. I was planning to replace it at lease end with a Saab 9 3 convertible..... that was until a got a look at the Mini Cooper S convertible. I didn't get a chance to drive it yet, but I spent at least an hour sitting in one at a dealership in New York City. It just felt so good to sit in, I hope I am equally impressed when I take a test drive.
:smile:
gbsher,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.
Let us know if you have more questions or search for answers from past threads.
The MCS cabrio is very nice. If you elect for the 6 speed consider it with Limited slip differential- a great performance upgrade for relatively little and adds to resale value. Stay away from the heavy and expensive 17" wheels if you can. You might consider a non leather upholstery for more durability and better value. Heated seats and multifunction steering wheel are nice options. If you like stereo then Harmon Kardon audio is worth a test drive- an improvement over the stock audio for a reasonable price.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
Jerseyans, unite!

Hey gbsher!

There's 3 MINI dealerships in NJ. No need to go to Manhattan!

Princeton MINI, Morristown MINI, and Prestige MINI (in Ramsey/Mahwah). Princeton is probably the closest to you.

Good hunting!

Old 12-14-2004, 05:24 AM
thegooch
1st Gear
I read your post and I was curious about something. I used to drive an Aero and I hated it. The car was WAY underpowered, and for the price it was a total rip-off in so far as interior etc. You will like the mini much more if you like to "drive" a car. I also had a crapload of problems with my Saab, were you problem free?

Personally I will never buy a Saab again, but that was just my experience and hopefully is an isolated one.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:53 PM
gbsher
2nd Gear
I agree that the Saab is expensive. I have the Arc with a 6 cylinder and find the power OK on the sport setting.

Had a few problems with the car.... I had it for a few days and noticed tranmission fluid leaking.. there was a hole in the pan and it had to be replaced. The only other problem was that the computer info display would lose letters or numbers now and then. It was replaces last month... now I have a rattle and vibration in the info panel.

Saabs have their issues, but I did like the convertible. Much more interested in a Mini now.

Regards, Glenn :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 12-14-2004, 05:57 PM
gbsher
2nd Gear
Hi Heyduard,

I know about the dealer in Princeton. Plan to stop by soon. I was in NYC on business (actually, in the same building where the Mini dealer was, and I had to go in.) If and when I buy a Mini, it will be in NJ.

Do you know anything about the Princeton dealer?

Thanks...

Regards, Glenn :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
hey gbsher,

One of the MA's, Deb, at Princeton MINI runs the Mini Owners of NJ club. At least I think she is a MA. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. MONJ has a section in the regional part of this board.

As for the dealership itself, I really have no idea. :smile: I'm up in North Jersey. Prestige MINI gets a lot of kudos. I got my MINI at Morristown. My MA was very helpful (Go Jessica!).

hey,
duard
"Always value the individual over the system." --Bruce Lee

Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
gbsher
2nd Gear
What is an "MA?"

Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
What is an "MA?"
Motoring Advisor (i.e. sales person)

Old 12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
I had a terrible experience with princeton mini and even though they are the closest dealer to me I elected to order my mini at Morristown. Talk to ben, really friendly and helpful. I've also heaerd good things about prestige mini in mahwah
Mike

Old 12-20-2004, 02:01 PM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Hey there, I lived in Matawan most of my life, and am now living right next door in Keyport. Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a horrible experience at Princeton as well. Take your business elsewhere.

--
Dave

Old 12-25-2004, 11:44 AM
gbsher
2nd Gear
Can you tell me what happened at the Princeton dealer? Just curious.

THANKS, Glenn :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 12-25-2004, 11:45 AM
gbsher
2nd Gear
Hi MCJoe,

So, you are my neighbor!! Do you have a Mini now?

Regardss, Glenn :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 12-29-2004, 01:19 PM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Hey Glenn,
Yeah, we're neighbors, I used to live in the B-section with my parents, then moved out into the Strathmore Gardens apartments. Now I'm in Keyport. I have a 2003 Cooper, Chili Red w/white roof, US Flag decal on roof, white bonnet stripes, driving lights. There's a house over on Main St. that has had a yellow w/black roof for a while, and last week I saw they had a yellow convertible, so I figured they traded the other one in. Then I went by later that same day and saw both of them in the driveway. Pretty cool.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:23 PM
MCJoe
4th Gear
I bought my MINI at Princeton, and didn't really have any 'problems', but they weren't the best for customer service. I can't tell you how many times I left a message for my MA (salesman), and never got a call back. I actually asked for somebody else a few times to get my questions answered, and she was much more helpful. A lot of people complain about their service department, but I haven't had a problem. Granted, I've only used them for the driving light /bonnet stripe/roof flag install, and for my 10,000 mile service, but they were pleasant, quick and easy to deal with. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems/warranty issues with my MINI, so that may be why my experience has been good so far.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:01 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you tell me what happened at the Princeton dealer? Just curious.

THANKS, Glenn :smile: :smile: :smile:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ead.php?t=8958

Enjoy!

Old 12-29-2004, 03:57 PM
btal40
2nd Gear
just ordered my cooper s from Derek at Morristown mini, he's new and he was very helpfull. Ben was also helpful, got me a great APR%. I think there was an article in the paper today about the + of their customer service. We'll see what they do for my trade in in a few weeks