1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:56 PM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member in South Florida

Hello folks...

My name is Jon, just joined as I just purchased my first Mini. I've been a BMW owner/enthusiast for quite a few years, currently own #6 and #7 BMW, now own a Mini as an easy run around car. I'm 37, wife, 2 little girls, work as a maritime engineer on a large ship. My main car interests are light "OEM+" style mods, some occasional HPDEs, and just hanging out and general car talk... I always try to buy the 'rare' or uncommon versions of whatever model I'm hunting for... Not sure if that's the case with my Mini, but I love the car I got, so I'm good.

Now, as for the Mini... I bought a bit of a project, but its ok, it'll give me something to bring back to life. She'll stay largely stock, as I bought it only to help keep my M3 tucked away nicely in the garage...

06 MCS, 6spd
BRG/black interior
slicktop
chrono pack
122K miles

The car is decent, but its also got quite a few areas to improve.... Glovebox won't open, passenger seat is gangsta leaned and won't come up, audio system is totally FUBAR, and there's a nasty vibration in the front right... The vibration/noise is only when that corner is weighted. If I dive into a right turn and unload that corner, it goes away immediately... It also vibrates more under heavy acceleration, so I'm thinking wheel bearings/axle...

Any thoughts and help are appreciated, I'll be on here hunting for fixes and some parts to get her in shape...

I love a good forum with good members... Hope to get to know some of you.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:47 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and MINI ownership.

Invest the effort to get the MINI up to the level you want it and it will be a great car to drive and enjoy. Who knows, you may decide to keep the MINI tucked away nicely in the garage on a rainy day and drive the M3!

I have found this to be a great forum with incredibly helpful members, however, we do have a need for pictures.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome as well from S. Florida also. Ft. Pierce. Appreciate that you bought an older MINI with some work that needs to be done. Glad you’re keeping her for your runabout. Same here.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 AM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Welcome - always glad to see another Floridian join the ranks: Check out the South Florida MINI group they are pretty active. As to the seat check the Orlando CL I saw a seat being offered not to long ago for 100$.

Cooper (central Florida)

Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies guys... Glad to see a fairly active South Florida contingent... Shiner, I'll have to get in touch at some point, some friends of mine have an MC40 up in Melbourne... I want to try and get up there to hang out with them soon anyway. MiniCPA- There is absolutely no way the Mini will get garage detail and the M3 will sit outside... Sorry, nothing against the Mini, absolutely love this thing, but the M3 is my 3rd child...

As for the car, good news. I was able to get the passenger seat sorted. Replaced the hatch struts today, windshield wipers, and picked up oil and a filter for a change coming real soon. Also ordering the passenger CV axle. Other than that, would like to change up a few little things, but some light maintenance and she'll remain largely stock.

Anyway, I do understand the need for pictures... Here's a few of the Mini as well as one of the M3...

My M3

Old 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by JupiterR53
... MiniCPA- There is absolutely no way the Mini will get garage detail and the M3 will sit outside... Sorry, nothing against the Mini, absolutely love this thing, but the M3 is my 3rd child...
I was kidding about garaging the MINI and driving the M3 in the rain. This is a MINI forum, I had to say it. You bought a MINI as a driver and that is the way you should enjoy it. I will bet that in time, you will come to enjoy driving the MINI as much as the M3 and if it was in perfect condition, you would contemplate keeping it out of the rain.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:23 PM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniCPA
I was kidding about garaging the MINI and driving the M3 in the rain. This is a MINI forum, I had to say it. You bought a MINI as a driver and that is the way you should enjoy it. I will bet that in time, you will come to enjoy driving the MINI as much as the M3 and if it was in perfect condition, you would contemplate keeping it out of the rain.
Oh believe me, if I had the means the Mini would most definitely get to stay under cover. I hate leaving any car outside as the Florida sun absolutely ruins them. Case in point, the headlights on the Mini.... But I'm going to get good tint to protect the inside and a cover for when she sits for extended periods.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Alright folks, need some help... Trying to find out some more about my car, mainly the interior... The VIN decoder keeps telling me to try again, as if I'm inputting the VIN incorrectly... Can anyone help me out? I think my car is pretty stripped out, as it appears all I have for options are the chrono pack and chrome gauge trim rings? Is that even an option?

Thanks guys...

Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome, great optioned car with no sunroof, chrono pack, and english leather.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, JupiterR53!
An 06 MCS is a great year and arguable the best year for Mini Cooper. The chrono package is a must for me. The slick top is an added, hard to find bonus.
if you want a little extra power, the JCW tune and some 380 injectors will do that, alone with a 15% supercharger pully.
Best of luck on your quest with your 06 MCS!
Congrats on your buy!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 AM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies guys. English Leather.....? Does anyone have any additional info on this? I saw a ton of cars with ripped surfing but this car and to be holding up better, is this a different grade of leather or just styling? I actually like it a lot so I'm pretty happy.

Yesterday I refinished the headlights and the OEM roof rack had been shipped!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 PM
iankun
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to NAM Jon. That's a great color you've got there - BRG.
I must confess I initially bought my mini for daily duties to keep my e89 in the garage for the weekend drives. But as miniCPA said...these things are a butt-load of fun and I seem to end up driving it on the weekends too (although I can't really compare my e89 to your e9x - which is a great color too, interlagos?)

Old 10-28-2018, 02:19 AM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iankun
Welcome to NAM Jon. That's a great color you've got there - BRG.
I must confess I initially bought my mini for daily duties to keep my e89 in the garage for the weekend drives. But as miniCPA said...these things are a butt-load of fun and I seem to end up driving it on the weekends too (although I can't really compare my e89 to your e9x - which is a great color too, interlagos?)
Thanks iankun! Yes I'm loving the Mini a lot more than I expected. It's actually hard to resist modding it! But I have to keep it simple so as not to blow a bunch of money on it. As for the M3, it's actually LeMans Blue, no purple in it like Interlagos. It's a much harder to find color even though it's not a true M color. It's also a competition package car, so it's pretty rare for an E90 M3.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:23 AM
iankun
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice, I love the shot of the glowing brakes on the M3. Good luck trying not to mod the mini

Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM
JupiterR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iankun
Nice, I love the shot of the glowing brakes on the M3. Good luck trying not to mod the mini
Hah, yes, its one of my favorite shots as well... Thanks again.