1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New JCW owner from Utah...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Wife's Car...
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New JCW owner from Utah...

Yes, the car is my Wife's. We picked up a used 2009 JCW hatchback from a high school girl (who swore she thought her Daddy was going to buy her a new car upon graduation...), a bit under the weather, has a huge oil leak issue. She had fixed the vacuum pump's oil leak but over looked the oil filter pedestal leak.
Well, long story short I fixed the oil leak, replaced a few parts that give people headaches, it's got that autotranny shifting issue where it can't decide on 5th or 6th when leveling off the speed. I've replaced the fluid, re-set the adaptations and now waiting for it to go away (Wife says it's getting better). Now I have a TB issue, seems the return spring has failed...no problems, already did the walnut cleaning and other mods back there. like omitting the sound box, cold air intake, a few silicon turbo tubes, oil can...so going back in to change out the TB is going to be easy (knocking on wood).

I'm a biochemist by trade, work with deadly viruses for a living. Have a PhD in Biochemistry, but also was an Olympic cyclist back in the day and have raced motocross and off-road motorcycles my whole life (until now, I'm getting OLD!). I was also a Chief Warrant Officer in the Army and flew assault helicopters. Made hot-rod cars and motorcycles since I was 18, so not scared of wrenches, hell, I love wrenches! This little toy is a like a skateboard on steroids! A lot like the BOSS 302 I shoved into a '74 Pinto...Bahahaha!

Carry on...

Old 10-05-2018, 10:57 AM
fresq
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's some resume! Good looks, man. Have you ever raced anything front wheel drive before?

The following users liked this post:
Wife's Car... (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Wife's Car...
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fresq
That's some resume! Good looks, man. Have you ever raced anything front wheel drive before?
Nope. Raced bicycles, off-road motorcycles, some road motorcycle racing (OK, only once...), did some SCCA stuff with my Pinto before the V8, but not a Mini. May get the wife into it, she loves this little car. I got a strut bar ordered and a stiffer rear sway bar, will see how those work.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:24 AM
fresq
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are on my list too. I've heard rave reviews about the sways. I'm not sure about your JCW, but I bought mine from someone who was not at all talented at driving stick and the computer adjusts itself to different driving styles. Resetting my ECU made a moderate difference in how the car behaved and I found myself catching gears much better. Still nothing compared to a throttle cable, but it certainly helped. I've recently crossed over from racing/driving in SCCA and with some local clubs in a somewhat built miata. Quite a change to fwd, but I hear that JCW LSD makes a big difference!

Old 10-05-2018, 12:15 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Wife's Car... (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 06:18 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Get a gen 1 R53 for yourself! It will rock your world!
Congrtas to your wife and her Mini! Welcome to the NAM experience!
Here is our observation: Often a Mini will be bought for the wife. A cute little car that gives good MPGs. After a few drives or months, usually the man can not resist the go-kart feel and the next thing you know, you are a two Mini family! Don't laugh, it happens a lot here!
Again welcome to NAM!

Wife's Car... (10-08-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 06:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome
Since you have an Auto trans and looking at the pic with the JCW badge on the engine that is the dealer installed JCW package. The factory JCW car wasn't avail with an auto trans in 2009, and it also wouldn't have that JCW badge on the engine.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Wife's Car...
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Often a Mini will be bought for the wife. A cute little car that gives good MPGs. After a few drives or months, usually the man can not resist the go-kart feel and the next thing you know, you are a two Mini family! Don't laugh, it happens a lot here!
Again welcome to NAM!
....guilty as charged.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 AM
Wife's Car...
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Welcome
Since you have an Auto trans and looking at the pic with the JCW badge on the engine that is the dealer installed JCW package. The factory JCW car wasn't avail with an auto trans in 2009, and it also wouldn't have that JCW badge on the engine.
I don't know Mini-lore as well as you guys, nor the history of the car except I got it from a spoiled little rich girl.
But I wouldn't doubt it was a post-import JCW mod, some things just aren't right, like the lack of Brembo brakes and the inlet port of the turbo is smaller than the JCW specific parts (from Alta).
It has the JCW emblems front and rear, exhaust, engine cover and registered tune ID, even the door thresholds...good enough for me...I mean, errr, the wife!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:08 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Take a look for 2006 MCS JCW models! This is a great year for Mini Cooper!

Wife's Car... (10-08-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes, 2005-2006 Hardtop JCWs and 2005-2008 JCW convertibles.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172