1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grandpa's 2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)

Old 09-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Grandpa
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Grandpa's 2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)

New to the Forum!

I would like to take just a moment to THANK each and every one of the individuals who have taken the time to post on this Forum! Through your insight and mistakes, I have been able to "Rescue" this little Mini Cooper from being sent to the 'Junk Yard'. I have taken the time to read many insightful posts which have guided me in my 'Rescue' operation and have saved me countless costs along the way. To that end, I would like to return the favor and tell you my story to date.

Well it seems that I have been dragged back into the 'World of Mini Coopers'.
Vehicle: 2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Trans: Automatic
Mileage: 71,356

Story Begins:
A friend of mine (Tom) asked me to help a friend (Dave) of his with some computer issues. Since I teach Computer Science at the Local College, I agreed to help. The issue was fixed in about 25 minutes. Needless to say, the subjects of cars came up. As it turned out Dave had a 2006 Mini Cooper S sitting in his garage that he was going to send to the 'Junk Yard' because he was just so pissed off at the car and he just wanted it gone. He bought the car new in 2006 and in just over 70,000 miles had "blown" the struts, gotten 3 flat tires (no spare), and the final straw was when the Crank Pulley separated and left him stranded on the side of the road. He took the car to the Dealer and was "Flabbergasted" at the quoted price of having the Crank Pulley and Struts replaced. Instead of fixing the car, he towed it home and put it in his "Barn" (a heated out-building where he stores his tractors, snowmobiles, and Combine). Turns out the car has been sitting there for about a year. I asked to see the car and to my surprise, it had NO RUST on the body! Beautiful Leather Interior with NO rips or tears. The engine cranked up right away, but I did not run it very long because of the broken serpentine belt. The Exhaust is LOUD, holes in both the resonator and the muffler and the CAT is leaking, Struts are definitely blown and it has been sitting for almost a year.

On a whim, and pretty much as a joke, I offered him a stupidly low price to buy the car. He ask why? I told him that long ago, when I was stationed in Europe, I had a little Morris Mini that I could not ship to Korea (my next duty station) and that I thought it would be fun to have a "Winter Project" this year to play with. To my utter amazement, and taken completely off guard, he held out his hand and said "Sold"! Needless to say, I suddenly owned a Mini Cooper once more and went home, got the trailer, loaded up the car and took it home. Thus began my research on this forum. I have now owned the car for just about 3 months.

Repairs/Maintenance/Up-keep To Date: (Done in my garage at home)
1) OEM Crank Pulley ($218.00 including shipping)
2) Serpentine Belt Tension Unit ($98.53)
3) Serpentine Belt ($12.36)
4) Struts on all 4 corners (KYB) (On Sale $436.18 all components)
5) Sway bar bushing front and rear ($43.88 Front - $43.88 Rear) ( (Used the PowerFlex) (Since I had the struts out, just seemed like preventative maintenance)
6) Oil and Oil Filter Change ($15.00 Oil Filter and O'Ring, $32.00 Oil) (Mobile 1, OEM Oil Filter and O'Ring)
7) New Coolant and Expansion Tank ($40.36 Tank, $21.13 Coolant)
8) New Fuel Filter ($53.76 OEM)
9) New Spark Plugs and Wires ($32.26 Wires and Plugs)
10) New Tires (BridgeStone DriveGuard Run-Flat Tires) (On Sale $526.78 Mounted, Balanced, Alignment)
11) Brake Pads ($73.89)

To Date I have put 5,000 miles on the car. I have to admit, it is a very FUN little car to drive and it does remind me of my old Morris Mini (except this one is Left Hand Drive). No oil leaks (yet), and the new struts (I put KYB's) and sway-bar bushings offer a rather smooth yet responsive ride considering that a Mini Cooper was never meant to be a luxury ride. The exhaust is LOUD! I expected that the exhaust would be loud considering the number of holes I found but I will be taking care of that that situation shortly.

FYI: For those interested; To date I have spent a total (Including purchase price) of right around $1800 in the car. (Told you I offered him a "Stupidly Low Price" for the car.)

Mini Cooper as of Yesterday

Items on the wish list:
1) Upper Hydraulic Motor Mount - After reading many posts, I have concluded that this one needs to be replaced. (Recommendations Welcomed)
2) New Exhaust - (Nebraska weather eats exhausts, cat leaking, rust holes in both the resonator and the muffler) (Looking at a complete Magnaflow Exhaust) (Recommendations Welcomed)
3) Strut Tower Plates (Pot-holes all over Nebraska) Thinking I will go with the ECS Strut Tower Kit based on the posts (Comments or Concerns?)
3) 15% Reduction Pulley (I may be Grandpa but I do like a little bit of power) (Recommendations Welcomed)
4) New Stereo Speakers (He must have been deaf, all the speakers are blown) (Recommendations Welcomed)

So there it is to-date. Again, what I thought was going to be a "Joke Offer" has turned out to be a new Joy in my life. Grandpa has a "Cute" little car that makes me smile on a daily basis. It will never be a "Track Car" or a "Racer", however; it is my hope to have a nice little Mini Cooper that is more responsive than a "Stock" vehicle but "Tame" enough for me to use as a daily driver.

I would also Like to add the following:
Never hesitate to throw out a "Stupidly Low Offer" on a car that you like as long as you have the cash to back up the offer. Remember the worst that can happen is that they say, No and laugh. The best that can happen is they say, Yes and shake your hand. Many people view today's automobiles as "Disposable Items" and have no concept of DIY repairs. For those who say, "But I don't know how to do the work myself." I recommend you research, and don't forget "YouTube"! There are so many "How-To" videos now a-days that literally walk you through the process step-by-step. There also seems to be many, many people on this forum that are more than willing to provide "Excellent Advice" and "Guidance" in repairs as well as upgrades specific to our Mini Cooper Community.

Last but not least, a personal Thank You for all that post. Each and every vehicle now-a-days has its own special "Quirks" and "Tricks" for fixing those "Quirks". By sharing your knowledge with others, you allow us all to become better mechanics and better at doing DIY maintenance and repairs to our vehicles. Again, Thank You!
Grandpa

Old 09-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM, not a bad looking MINI you have there.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:39 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gramps ... and enjoyed the story !

Old 09-03-2018, 07:47 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Welcome... what a great story!

One thing I would add to your maintenance list is replacing the auto trans filter/strainer and fluid, or just the fluid at the very least. The fluid was once considered lifetime, but most(all?) manufacturers that use that Aisin transmission have revised the service requirement.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:14 AM
iankun
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Very nice looking Cooper hatch and cool story to go with it. Congrats on the new joy!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:30 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Excellent post and a great story too! Welcome back to Mini life, I’m glad to see that you are enjoying a heck of a deal on your little cooper! Now keep it going by posting your knowledge you’ve gained to help others..
Motor on!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:41 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the MINI adventure. Doesn't seem like it needed that much to get it back on the road. You saved a lot by doing the work yourself. Congratulations on your find.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Great looking car, nice to see yet another GEN1 staying on the road.

Motor On!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:58 AM
whitesilvermini
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From another "grampa" who loves his new MINI... GREAT story so far, but at this rate you will have nothing to do over winter other than drive!
I concur that the auto tranny should get a touch, my 2005 S was just beginning to shift a little weird after 70K and had I not traded it in would have had a flush and filter replacement.
Cheers

Old 09-04-2018, 09:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome sounds like you have made a great project out of it. Feel free to email us with any questions you have as we have all the things you're looking to add and can give you some suggestions based on what you tell us. A few mods and that car will yet again be transformed. Plus I love that it is a slick top.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-05-2018, 09:20 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, Grandpa!
I am a Grandpa too and have three Minis' right now.
The 06 MCS is the best gen one out there and should give you many miles of fun, with regular maintenance.
The trans should have oil and filter changes every 30,000 miles, if you want to keep the trans alive.Don't believe for a minute, that it never needs servicing! The valve body will clog with debris and will trash the trans.
Enjoy your nice looking Mini and keep it going!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Welcome, Thats a greats story and an awesome deal. Looks like its in great shape now. Congrats. My MINis can also be found in the local Lowes parking lot as I have many home projects also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-23-2023, 06:41 AM
goodmanwleticia957
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grandpa
New to the Forum!

I would like to take just a moment to THANK each and every one of the individuals who have taken the time to post on this Forum! Through your insight and mistakes, I have been able to "Rescue" this little Mini Cooper from being sent to the 'Junk Yard'. I have taken the time to read many insightful posts which have guided me in my 'Rescue' operation and have saved me countless costs along the way. To that end, I would like to return the favor and tell you my story to date.

Well it seems that I have been dragged back into the 'World of Mini Coopers'.
Vehicle: 2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Trans: Automatic
Mileage: 71,356

Story Begins:
A friend of mine (Tom) asked me to help a friend (Dave) of his with some computer issues. Since I teach Computer Science at the Local College, I agreed to help. The issue was fixed in about 25 minutes. Needless to say, the subjects of cars came up. As it turned out Dave had a 2006 Mini Cooper S sitting in his garage that he was going to send to the 'Junk Yard' because he was just so pissed off at the car and he just wanted it gone. He bought the car new in 2006 and in just over 70,000 miles had "blown" the struts, gotten 3 flat tires (no spare), and the final straw was when the Crank Pulley separated and left him stranded on the side of the road. He took the car to the Dealer and was "Flabbergasted" at the quoted price of having the Crank Pulley and Struts replaced. Instead of fixing the car, he towed it home and put it in his "Barn" (a heated out-building where he stores his tractors, snowmobiles, and Combine). Turns out the car has been sitting there for about a year. I asked to see the car and to my surprise, it had NO RUST on the body! Beautiful Leather Interior with NO rips or tears. The engine cranked up right away, but I did not run it very long because of the broken serpentine belt. The Exhaust is LOUD, holes in both the resonator and the muffler and the CAT is leaking, Struts are definitely blown and it has been sitting for almost a year.

On a whim, and pretty much as a joke, I offered him a stupidly low price to buy the car. He ask why? I told him that long ago, when I was stationed in Europe, I had a little Morris Mini that I could not ship to Korea (my next duty station) and that I thought it would be fun to have a "Winter Project" this year to play with. To my utter amazement, and taken completely off guard, he held out his hand and said "Sold"! Needless to say, I suddenly owned a Mini Cooper once more and went home, got the trailer, loaded up the car and took it home. Thus began my research on this forum. I have now owned the car for just about 3 months.

Repairs/Maintenance/Up-keep To Date: (Done in my garage at home)
1) OEM Crank Pulley ($218.00 including shipping)
2) Serpentine Belt Tension Unit ($98.53)
3) Serpentine Belt ($12.36)
4) Struts on all 4 corners (KYB) (On Sale $436.18 all components)
5) Sway bar bushing front and rear ($43.88 Front - $43.88 Rear) ( (Used the PowerFlex) (Since I had the struts out, just seemed like preventative maintenance)
6) Oil and Oil Filter Change ($15.00 Oil Filter and O'Ring, $32.00 Oil) (Mobile 1, OEM Oil Filter and O'Ring)
7) New Coolant and Expansion Tank ($40.36 Tank, $21.13 Coolant)
8) New Fuel Filter ($53.76 OEM)
9) New Spark Plugs and Wires ($32.26 Wires and Plugs)
10) New Tires (BridgeStone DriveGuard Run-Flat Tires) (On Sale $526.78 Mounted, Balanced, Alignment)
11) Brake Pads ($73.89)

To Date I have put 5,000 miles on the car. I have to admit, it is a very FUN little car to drive and it does remind me of my old Morris Mini (except this one is Left Hand Drive). No oil leaks (yet), and the new struts (I put KYB's) and sway-bar bushings offer a rather smooth yet responsive ride considering that a Mini Cooper was never meant to be a luxury ride. The exhaust is LOUD! I expected that the exhaust would be loud considering the number of holes I found but I will be taking care of that that situation shortly.

FYI: For those interested; To date I have spent a total (Including purchase price) of right around $1800 in the car. (Told you I offered him a "Stupidly Low Price" for the car.)

Mini Cooper as of Yesterday

Items on the wish list:
1) Upper Hydraulic Motor Mount - After reading many posts, I have concluded that this one needs to be replaced. (Recommendations Welcomed)
2) New Exhaust - (Nebraska weather eats exhausts, cat leaking, rust holes in both the resonator and the muffler) (Looking at a complete Magnaflow Exhaust) (Recommendations Welcomed)
3) Strut Tower Plates (Pot-holes all over Nebraska) Thinking I will go with the ECS Strut Tower Kit based on the posts (Comments or Concerns?)
3) 15% Reduction Pulley (I may be Grandpa but I do like a little bit of power) (Recommendations Welcomed)
4) New Stereo Speakers (He must have been deaf, all the speakers are blown) (Recommendations Welcomed)

So there it is to-date. Again, what I thought was going to be a "Joke Offer" has turned out to be a new Joy in my life. Grandpa has a "Cute" little car that makes me smile on a daily basis. It will never be a "Track Car" or a "Racer", however; it is my hope to have a nice little Mini Cooper that is more responsive than a "Stock" vehicle but "Tame" enough for me to use as a daily driver.

I would also Like to add the following:
Never hesitate to throw out a "Stupidly Low Offer" on a car that you like as long as you have the cash to back up the offer. Remember the worst that can happen is that they say, No and laugh. The best that can happen is they say, Yes and shake your hand. Many people view today's automobiles as "Disposable Items" and have no concept of DIY repairs. For those who say, "But I don't know how to do the work myself." I recommend you research, and don't forget "YouTube"! There are so many "How-To" videos now a-days that literally walk you through the process step-by-step. There also seems to be many, many people on this forum that are more than willing to provide "Excellent Advice" and "Guidance" in repairs as well as upgrades specific to our Mini Cooper Community.

Last but not least, a personal Thank You for all that post. Each and every vehicle now-a-days has its own special "Quirks" and "Tricks" for fixing those "Quirks". By sharing your knowledge with others, you allow us all to become better mechanics and better at doing DIY maintenance and repairs to our vehicles. Again, Thank You!
Grandpa
Studying is an integral part of our academic journey, and it's no secret that it comes with its own set of challenges. For me, grasping complex topics and managing stress were my primary hurdles. However, I found a remarkable solution that significantly improved my study experience. To tackle these challenges and boost my grades, I turned to StoryboardThat's resources. Their stress management worksheets have been a lifesaver. These worksheets provide practical strategies to alleviate stress and enhance focus, making a notable difference in my overall well-being and academic performance. If you're looking to manage stress and improve your comprehension, I highly recommend checking out StoryboardThat.com valuable resources. They've played a pivotal role in my academic success, and I'm sure they can benefit you too. Here's to a less stressful and more productive study journey!
It's fantastic to hear your story about rescuing and restoring your Mini Cooper! Your journey into automotive DIY is inspiring. You've managed to breathe new life into the car while keeping the costs reasonable. It's a great testament to the power of offering a "stupidly low offer" and your willingness to dive into the world of vehicle maintenance. It's clear that you're enjoying the process of working on your Mini Cooper and customizing it to your preferences. Your list of planned upgrades sounds exciting, and I'm sure they'll enhance your driving experience even further. Thank you for sharing your experience and offering some valuable advice about DIY repairs, using online resources like YouTube, and the supportive community here. Your story is a great example of how passion and dedication can turn what might have been considered a "joke offer" into a rewarding project. Best of luck with your Mini Cooper endeavors, and may you continue to enjoy every moment behind the wheel of your "Cute" little car!

Last edited by goodmanwleticia957; 10-25-2023 at 06:07 AM.