1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New R53 in the family

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 PM
bryyando
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New R53 in the family

Hello!

Semi novel in bound 😊

Backhistory of car since its relatively interesting to me. but title is bit of a spoiler lol

Few years back I had my first car, a 96 integra; stolen. (surprise surprise) came back extremely gutted and not worth the time and money to fix back up. Sold it for the exact amount needed to pay the impound fees as it took a police letter in the mail to notify me it was recovered...

Seemed like my dad's buddy was gonna get a new ride coincidentally at the time, thus we would have an opportunity to purchase his 04 cooper for trade in value. Couple months roll by and no new car so we figure its not meant to be.

Fast forward to this month, my pops decides to randomly go out with his drinking buddies as he supposedly hasn't in awhile, turns out mini guy finally got a new to him car and my dad immediately proceeds to give him an offer and boom new to us mini.

I go to pick it up the next day and my jaw is literally dropped as its surprise a S model and not the base like I was led to believe all those years ago.

so now that we have an S that appears to have had only oil changes its life (no service history) from the original owners (my dad's buddy&buddy's son) I've decided some TLC and obviously mods for OEM+ maintenance. Dad's new ride will get my love lol. He's into cars, I probably get that from him but I think I take it to the next level (I mean just look at this first post, thanks to those that even make it this far &#128514

9/03 production date & 157k miles

My googling has led me to:

Figuring that I should get the revised oil filter holder thing (although I won't know this is necessary until my first personal oil change), get the inspection 2 kit (can anyone supply me with the part numbers?) , and do the supercharger oil (15% pulley while we at it, why not?).

Things that ive noticed on the car itself:

from cold start i got a weird rattle/rub sound in the front passenger side as im turning the wheel, seems to go away when after driving/warm. Or just road surface dependent? oddly enough i hear it when i leave home but not when im parking. Sometimes I hear it when I park at work, but its like a 4 mile commute lol.

At first i was thinking supercharger tensioner but could this be a symptom of a mushroomed tower? thinking about getting the cravenspeed uti as well as a strut brace from wmw.

gas gauge doesn't work unless its pretty full (only shows full sometimes usually only shows empty) , tpms light is on?, The exclamation point in a circled triangle light too.

which means new wheel sensor?

passenger door doesn't unlock with the button, can hear a sound like it does unlock only with button, not so much in car toggle (i could be tripping, doing this from memory)

this be the window regulator?

and the thermostat in the tach is pegged at at -40 Fahrenheit lol.

cat was cracked so my dad got a test pipe fitted. which leads me to believe mounts should be done to.

thats all i got from my little bits of googling. please learn me gud today and to those that finished idk if this was the right place for all of this, but I'm pretty new here haha.

Attached Thumbnails New R53 in the family-37578810_10211764028641770_7577004471209689088_o.jpg  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Loads of information in the Forum Pages, and if there is something you can't find just ask and most issues can be resolved or at least of being put on the right path to resolution.

Post some pics

and ...

Motor On!

Old 08-01-2018, 05:18 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, bryyando!
Congrats on the buy!
It looks like you will fit right in. You want it fixed right and that is the good thing.
Once you hae it tight and right, it will reward in so many ways!
The most and best information to reach your goal is within this group!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM
bryyando
Neutral
Originally Posted by JABowders
Welcome.

Loads of information in the Forum Pages, and if there is something you can't find just ask and most issues can be resolved or at least of being put on the right path to resolution.

Post some pics

and ...

Motor On!
I mean I believe I did post to the best of my current ability of what I think is going on? I guess I'll just copy and paste into another subforum later after I explore this site more.

tail light has since been replaced since taking pics. but now the left one isn't as clear as my junkyard find 🙄
So far I would say pop's ride is the better daily and mine is the better canyon machine... for now at least 😆

Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM
bryyando
Neutral
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
Welcome to the forum
thank you,

what do you ride?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 AM
bryyando
Neutral
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM, bryyando!
Congrats on the buy!
It looks like you will fit right in. You want it fixed right and that is the good thing.
Once you hae it tight and right, it will reward in so many ways!
The most and best information to reach your goal is within this group!
thank you!

upon taking it home I immediately proceeded to try to convince my dad the merits of getting rid of the s lites lol

found some r84s in a yard, now hanging in my garage waiting for 2 new caps and whenever we need to get new rubber.

I'd rather get imolas personally for the looks/weight but with the future plan of the next gen's s front brake swap and the fact that all 3 cars with imolas were already stripped that day, I think I did alright 😏

Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
RE: Things that I've noticed on the car itself:

from cold start i got a weird rattle/rub sound in the front passenger side as im turning the wheel, seems to go away when after driving/warm. Or just road surface dependent? oddly enough i hear it when i leave home but not when im parking. Sometimes I hear it when I park at work, but its like a 4 mile commute lol.

This sounds like it is limited to the pivot area of the spindle, I would check the Wheel Bearing Carrier, the Ball Joints and the Tie Rod End, and also check the Strut Tower Mount.

At first i was thinking supercharger tensioner but could this be a symptom of a mushroomed tower? thinking about getting the cravenspeed uti as well as a strut brace from wmw.

I don't think this would be in any way connected to a Mushroomed Tower.

gas gauge doesn't work unless its pretty full (only shows full sometimes usually only shows empty) , tpms light is on?, The exclamation point in a circled triangle light too.

More than likely you need a new sending unit.

This could be the Wheel Speed Sensor, or a TPMS or a combination of the two.

passenger door doesn't unlock with the button, can hear a sound like it does unlock only with button, not so much in car toggle (i could be tripping, doing this from memory)

When unlocking the car with the Remote, the normal function is: Push once and the Driver Door will unlock, push the button again and it will unlock the Passenger Door and the Rear Hatch. (You can also test the Lock/Unlock Toggle Switch on your Toggle Switch Panel; located under your Environmental Control Panel located in the upright center console. toggle down everything should lock, toggle up and everything should unlock.
(Another unique thing about unlocking the doors when sitting in the car with the car running and the doors locked, e.g., you have driven your friend to the store and they are going to jump out and grab a tasty drink, you have pulled into the parking spot but you have not turned the ignition off and the engine is still running. You (or your passenger) have to pull the door handle TWICE to open the door.)

The window regulator links to the Window Motor and Opens and closes the window.

This could be a bad sensor or the sensor is not connected, you will have to trace the connector wire for this one, Look at image"TempSensor.jpg" for location.

cat was cracked so my dad got a test pipe fitted. which leads me to believe mounts should be done to.

Yes look at and inspect your motor mounts, being an '03 chances are they all need to be replaced.

thats all i got from my little bits of googling. please learn me gud today and to those that finished idk if this was the right place for all of this, but I'm pretty new here haha.

Check the GEN1 R53 Stock Problems and Issues for more information.

Best of Luck

Motor On!

Attached Thumbnails New R53 in the family-tempsensor.jpg  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 PM
dSpotter
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats and good luck on your car!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by bryyando

Figuring that I should get the revised oil filter holder thing (although I won't know this is necessary until my first personal oil change), get the inspection 2 kit (can anyone supply me with the part numbers?) , and do the supercharger oil (15% pulley while we at it, why not?).

Don't buy and insp kit, get the parts individual for what you actually need we offer them all.
And yes of course do a pulley while doing the supercharger oil change.

Things that ive noticed on the car itself:

check strut mounts as that is pretty normal failure.

Don't bother with the under tower plates You only need the top plates as under plates will raise the ride height and reduce camber.

gas gauge doesn't work unless its pretty full (only shows full sometimes usually only shows empty) ,
need computer to read the signals from both sensors to see if one is stuck and replace as necessary

tpms light is on?, The exclamation point in a circled triangle light too.
Need computer to read codes for why traction control is disabled

door lock actuators fail all the time

nothing to do with door lock

That is the outside temp. More than likely the sensor behind the front bumper, or wiring issue to that sensor

this is a common failure

my comments in blue

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-02-2018, 08:26 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
my comments in blue
I gotta agree with all the answers you got, so don't want to be redundant!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (08-03-2018)