1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 2005 Convertible S, couldnt be happier so far.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:05 AM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a 2005 Convertible S, couldnt be happier so far.

Greetings fellow Mini owners, this is my first foray into the the world of Minis. I bought a 2005 Convertible S with only 44k on the speedo. Couldn't be happier so far.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:10 AM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Bought a 2005 Convertible S, couldnt be happier so far.-image-677177611.jpg

This is my ride. I call it my "happy" ride because it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I also currently own a 2006 Suzuki SV1000s. Deciding which to drive/ride has become a daily dilemma. My life sucks, lol.

Bought a 2005 Convertible S, couldnt be happier so far.-image-3967991079.jpg

^thats the bike.

If anyone can give me any info of what to keep an eye out for any particular problems with my Mini, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Those are some very low miles! Congratulations. Post some pictures for us when you can. If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to ask!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Congratulations on getting the only correct type of motor to own. Our li'l guy is approaching 100K absolutely the most fun miles anybody can have. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
The canvas: 303 or Ragg Topp for keeping it in good shape.
Check your fluid levels religiously, like weekly or so and change the oil and rotate tires at 5K intervals.
The best bang for the buck mod you can make for handling is a set of KONI FSD struts and a 19 or 22 MM adjustable rear sway bar. Search the vendors for pricing on the struts. Sometimes you'll find them for almost 1/2 price.
Locate a reliable independent BMW/MINI shop. Check with other MINI people in your area for the right guy to take it to.
Some things I've had to have done over the years that are common headaches:
thermostat seal
PS hoses
water pump
Things to have done at suggested intervals:
serpentine belt
spark plugs
brake fluid change
coolant flush
The very best advise anyone can give is to enjoy topless motoring at every opportunity.
MINIs are NOT your mass produced everyday soccer mom - grocery getter - drive it and forget it appliance. Take good care of it and it will give you years of grins.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Since your interior will have more UV exposure than an R53, keeping the seats conditioned and supple if vinyl or leather would be prudent. Also applying UV protectorants to the rest of the interior is a suggestion. You have a great find! Happy Motoring!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Congratulations on getting the only correct type of motor to own. Our li'l guy is approaching 100K absolutely the most fun miles anybody can have. Here are a few things to keep in mind. The canvas: 303 or Ragg Topp for keeping it in good shape. Check your fluid levels religiously, like weekly or so and change the oil and rotate tires at 5K intervals. The best bang for the buck mod you can make for handling is a set of KONI FSD struts and a 19 or 22 MM adjustable rear sway bar. Search the vendors for pricing on the struts. Sometimes you'll find them for almost 1/2 price. Locate a reliable independent BMW/MINI shop. Check with other MINI people in your area for the right guy to take it to. Some things I've had to have done over the years that are common headaches: thermostat seal PS hoses water pump Things to have done at suggested intervals: serpentine belt spark plugs brake fluid change coolant flush The very best advise anyone can give is to enjoy topless motoring at every opportunity. MINIs are NOT your mass produced everyday soccer mom - grocery getter - drive it and forget it appliance. Take good care of it and it will give you years of grins.
Already did the Ragg Topp as you suggested. It was my first concern, to keep that top in as good of shape as possible. As far as mods, I'm pretty happy with the way the car is now, no need to upset the zen at this time, but thanks for the suggestions. Maybe in the future I'll get the itch to do mods. I'm NOT going to be one of those idiots who own ANY brand convertible and drive around with the top up on nice days. If it's nice out, the top goes down, period, even if I'm just going to work. The car seems to be accumulating more miles now than the bike, before, it was the opposite with the previous car. Happy motoring!!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
On a cloudy day the old guys at morning coffee would ask if the top is up. I give them a puzzled look and ask incredulously 'It goes up???'. Or if it is up I will admit to getting out the owner's manual to see how it's done.
Topless motoring is motoring at its very best.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I can't agree more about driving 'topless'. I swear it is an elixir for a bad day.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:01 PM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
I can't agree more about driving 'topless'. I swear it is an elixir for a bad day.
You ARE soooo correct, a lot of times I take the long way home just to shake off a long day at work. Also do it with my motorcycle, so the dilemma is which do I take out on a daily basis, so I try to show each the love each day.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Welcome, Nice Liquid Yellow MCSC !

Top down motoring is the best just had mine down yesterday and it was almost 90 degrees here.

Treat the top , get a wind deflector ( if you dont already have one ) and have fun !

Wind Deflector :

Both versions comes with a little bag and can fold up to go in the boot with the bag.

Regulator Black Wind deflector :

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54347164868/ES158823/

Checkered Version which has faint checkered pattern going across the upper portion that is mostly view-able from the back.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54340390513/ES158508/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 PM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Yeah, I want to get a wind deflector, but not for $500(ouch), that's why I have been checking this sites marketplace and eBay for deals on used ones.

I only have 3 issues with the car, there is a 1/8"ish gap when my top is completely closed at the windshield rubber trim.

Bought a 2005 Convertible S, couldnt be happier so far.-image-4058677489.jpg

I'm told by my mechanic that the roof can be slightly adjusted to close that gap up. It doesn't leak, so it's not a big deal yet.

#2: the drivers door unlock mechanism doesn't work with the key fob, I'm told by my mechanic that it's the actuator and will need replacing. As long as I can use the key for now, no biggie.

#3: the rain sensor wiper function doesn't work, at some point my mechanic thinks that the windshield may have been replaced and sometimes in doing so, the rain sensor mechanism isn't properly reattached, he said there may be a loose wire so it could be an easy fix.

If anyone has had or knows someone who's had these issues, any feedback would be appreciated on what it took to resolve these issues.

Thanks, and as always, HAPPY MOTORING!!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Its worth getting used or new. Have one and if comes in handy on cool nights.

" I'm told by my mechanic that the roof can be slightly adjusted to close that gap up. It doesn't leak, so it's not a big deal yet. "

Yes it can be adjusted forward on one side with the cables.

#2 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-t-unlock.html

#3 Yes, it has to seal up against the glass, also have them check to make sure the sensor is plugged in under the plastic shell cover.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-retrofit.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
congrats and welcome!!
I loved my 2005!!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 PM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Its worth getting used or new. Have one and if comes in handy on cool nights. " I'm told by my mechanic that the roof can be slightly adjusted to close that gap up. It doesn't leak, so it's not a big deal yet. " Yes it can be adjusted forward on one side with the cables. #2 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-t-unlock.html #3 Yes, it has to seal up against the glass, also have them check to make sure the sensor is plugged in under the plastic shell cover. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-retrofit.html Thanks
You are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the info!!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:24 PM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zippynh
congrats and welcome!! I loved my 2005!!
thanks!!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If your rain sensor isn't working and the windshield was replaced you need to make sure they didn't cut the wires as I've seen that many times, also seen the aftermarket glass not have the right prism on it making it not work so if that is the case the glass will need replaced.

Driver actuator is pretty normal, not too bad of a job just need to mess with the window.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-door-actuator.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Just thought of something else you really really need and am surprised Way didn't mention it while talking about glass. You NEED a 'LightinSight'! Don't ask and don't argue, just order one and stick it on and thank me later. Way has them.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 AM
JaggerCoop
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Just thought of something else you really really need and am surprised Way didn't mention it while talking about glass. You NEED a 'LightinSight'! Don't ask and don't argue, just order one and stick it on and thank me later. Way has them.

THAT is brilliant! Just ordered off of AMAZON. I'm 6' so yeah, that was a problem at stoplights! Thanks for the tip!!

HAPPY MOTORING!!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:17 AM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
Congrats on your new MINI!