R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

countryman to convertible

Old 08-18-2015, 01:57 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
countryman to convertible

Hi,

So I'm a long time MINI owner about 10 years...I had a convertible for about 7 and I traded it for a Countryman about 3 years ago. I am thinking of trading my countryman for a highgate convertible I saw at the dealership this weekend. I've missed having a convertible and I've missed the gas mileage on my smaller MINI but I hesitate because the one thing I definitely like about my Countryman is being a little raised off the ground. I don't have kids just 2 small dogs and while the space comes in handy on occasion it's not something required for lifestyle.

I really like the looks for the highgate and this Convertible has all the features I want that my current car doesn't.

How do I figure a fair price? It's a 2014 with 405 miles listed for $26,500. Every MINI I've bought was new so I'm not sure...I built the same one online and it came to $33,800 for a 2015.

Anyone else had an experience going from a countryman back down to a smaller MINI?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 AM
STR3T
2nd Gear
Sorry for the IM spam, SS. Was trying to post here and couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up

Don't be afraid to walk away again. They know summer is coming to an end and dealer's don't like carrying converts over the winter months.

So time is on your side, unless someone else has interest in it. So beat them up on price…try to get them to add CPO Warranty.

Don't let them know it has "everything you want and more”. Tell them it has options you wouldn't have picked/paid for!

Compare to this one that's close by but with less options: XET266363 # at autotrader. That's a 2014 w/ 6200 miles for $22k. It comes with a wind deflector and those aren't terribly cheap...$250-$400

Have fun and good luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
Sorry for the IM spam, SS. Was trying to post here and couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up Don't be afraid to walk away again. They know summer is coming to an end and dealer's don't like carrying converts over the winter months. So time is on your side, unless someone else has interest in it. So beat them up on price…try to get them to add CPO Warranty. Don't let them know it has "everything you want and more”. Tell them it has options you wouldn't have picked/paid for! Compare to this one that's close by but with less options: XET266363 # at autotrader. That's a 2014 w/ 6200 miles for $22k. It comes with a wind deflector and those aren't terribly cheap...$250-$400 Have fun and good luck!
Thanks so much for your advice! I bought the car and for what I think is a good price. Honestly and truly your advice was a big help. I went to the dealership today ready to leave without the car. Yesterday they would not budge at all on the price but today I went in confident and really ready to walk away. I would've never been able to buy this car with all these options at retail and getting it for less than $25k...I'm just over the moon.

Can't wait for them to install the stripes then it will be picture ready.

I hate car shopping and hope to not have to do it again for a very very long time

Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 AM
STR3T
2nd Gear
Nice! $10k off a car w/ just 700 miles on it...can't argue with that kind of deal. Enjoy and post some pics w/ those HG stripes!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:58 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
Nice! $10k off a car w/ just 700 miles on it...can't argue with that kind of deal. Enjoy and post some pics w/ those HG stripes!
Stripes have been added...feels so official now!!!!

countryman to convertible-image-1341688568.jpg

Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 124 Likes on 112 Posts
Sorry I got in here late. I wanted to extol the millions of virtues associated with topless motoring but I see that you made the correct decision (My co-pilot's car is a '15 CM so I know the difference) after all. The CM is nice in it's own way but you can't beat a drop head for fun. My first two cars were British roadsters back in the '60's.
That is a dang fine looking MINI. Hope you have many miles of smiles with it.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM
STR3T
2nd Gear
Agreed...congrats. Hoping my stripes get here for weekend remove/replacement. And hoping the remove goes smoothly.

Looks great!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick View Post
Sorry I got in here late. I wanted to extol the millions of virtues associated with topless motoring but I see that you made the correct decision (My co-pilot's car is a '15 CM so I know the difference) after all. The CM is nice in it's own way but you can't beat a drop head for fun. My first two cars were British roadsters back in the '60's. That is a dang fine looking MINI. Hope you have many miles of smiles with it.
I was most concerned with feeling too low to the ground after being in my CM for the last 3 years. As soon as I slipped into that leather seat I forgot all about my misgivings...I have NO REGRETS! They actually gave me a CM as my loaner today and I couldn't wait to get my zippy lil MINI back. I've missed being in a convertible and feeling the wind. Plus the upgrades on this car just make it a whole new experience for me. My last 2 MINI's have had minimal upgrades my only requirement has been heated seats. But I really lucked out on this car

Old 08-26-2015, 01:16 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 556 Likes on 536 Posts
Again congrats on the Highgate !

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172