1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current BMW Owner: Considering Countryman AW

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
love me some mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current BMW Owner: Considering Countryman AW

Hello....

Another first time poster here...If my sig is working correctly, you'll be able to see my vehicle ownership history as context.

I've owned or leased BMW's for about the past 15 years or so..Cars are a passion of mine and in particular driving them!

I am familiar with Mini, as last year I helped my son in college research the perfect vehicle for him. He goes to school in CA and we ended-up with a very nice Clubman for his EDD..

That said, my X3 lease is going to be up this year and I am considering a wide set of options for my next vehicle - including the Countryman S or JCW AW.

Need a X-over for the utility it provides and I like AWD living in the Midwest USA. I am also the type of owner who likes swapping over to snow tires for uber control when weather dictates.

The X3 has served me well, not a passion vehicle by any means.

So I drove a Countryman S AW and really felt like it could be a great EDD for fun and utility too..Here's my concern coming from a BMW:
  • Torque - not a lot of it
  • Stiff - wheelbase, suspension - will it give me the lux when I want to just relax, cruise and want some pampering after a tough office day?
  • Luxury - not the same class as Audi or BMW, Merc...Going to miss me a heated steering wheel for example..

With a kid in college, I like the price of this relative to some of the German brands I am considering..

Anyone here own both or went from one to the other as I am considering?? Have a POV to share??

THX!!

Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 PM
TQ2K
1st Gear
Have several BMW's currently...an X5, M5, M3 and an E30. Checked out a Fiat 500L and Countryman S fwd/awd to replace a leased toyota highlander and decided to get the fwd S. Our need is for a daily driver to haul the family with two boys(6&2) and use it for some roadtrips.

Love the countryman s fwd for our purpose as it has enough space and we get 27mpg city and about 32hwy. Very fun to drive but looking to get jb+ for added boost.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM, love me some mini. I have one piece of advise for you as a current MINI owner and a previous German luxury car owner. SIMPLIFY! There's a reason the MINI slogan is "Not Normal."

MINI is the most fun I've had in my 40 year driving career and a pleasure to drive.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a MINI Cooper S 2014 and I also own a BMW. If you get a newer model of MINI they feel a lot like a BMW. I would highly recommend trying out MINI I have loved every second of owning mine.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 PM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by emilyanny4u
I bought a MINI Cooper S 2014 and I also own a BMW. If you get a newer model of MINI they feel a lot like a BMW. I would highly recommend trying out MINI I have loved every second of owning mine.
Same thought crossed my mind. The 2014 Hardtops (F56) is more 'BMW' like, which is either a good or bad thing depending who you ask. The build quality is higher, the interior has more comfort options, etc. Also, the new engines provide a lot more torque, which addresses one of your concerns on the Countryman.

The downside is that those are Hardtop only right now, so you're losing out on space and AWD of the Countryman. I'm not sure if/when the rest of the lineup will be moving over to the new engine and options, I think a lot of that depends on which parts of the Mini family keep going.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM
love me some mini
1st Gear
Thanks for the prompt repipes - appreciate it!

While this is a personal decision, but I value the input of those who've made similar choices before me...

Am hoping some of the new tech like the hud, idrive control **** etc..make there way to the Countryman soon.

Anyone know if that will be available for the 2015 production runs?

Luckily a new mini dealer popped-up a few miles from my work and I'll be able to spend some time behind the wheel more often than not till I have to make a decision...They love having me around

Cheers!
Rick

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 PM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by love me some mini
Thanks for the prompt repipes - appreciate it!

While this is a personal decision, but I value the input of those who've made similar choices before me...

Am hoping some of the new tech like the hud, idrive control **** etc..make there way to the Countryman soon.

Anyone know if that will be available for the 2015 production runs?

Luckily a new mini dealer popped-up a few miles from my work and I'll be able to spend some time behind the wheel more often than not till I have to make a decision...They love having me around

Cheers!
Rick
I don't think those goodies will be available in 2015 model year, however MINI may make them available on the '16 or '17 to keep folks interested.

However, I'm pretty sure the new powertrains will not show up in the Countryman until the F60 arrives in late 2017.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 PM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by love me some mini
[*]Stiff - wheelbase, suspension - will it give me the lux when I want to just relax, cruise and want some pampering after a tough office day?
Yes the ride with the stock run-flat tires is quite stiff/firm and "pampering" is not the word I would use to describe it. However, it is not uncomfortable unless you live in an area with the poorest roads.

Changing to non-run flats should help to improve the ride AND handling.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM
dornblaser
1st Gear
Isn't the Countryman built off of the X3 chassis? There should be some familiarity.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 AM
love me some mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dornblaser
Isn't the Countryman built off of the X3 chassis? There should be some familiarity.
I believe it's the X1.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 AM
dornblaser
1st Gear
I asked our salesperson about X1 vs X3 and he said it was the X3. The wheelbase does not line up with X1.