1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new (to me) N18 powered R56 has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 AM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new (to me) N18 powered R56 has arrived!

Hey everyone. I'm s0n1c, and I'm from near Washington, DC. I just scooped up my first Mini about a week ago. I got a 2011 MCS 6-speed in Chili Red as a Mini Next CPO. I love it so far, with only two things I'd change: 1. The headlights, and 2. Base stereo.

I've been lurking around the boards since the day I bought it, but haven't posted yet, just doing some searches and learning what I can about the car before I jump into the scene looking like a true NOOB...

So my two big complaints:
It only has the halogen headlamps, so my night visibility is somewhat poor compared to my wife's car (11 Infiniti G sedan with bi-xenons). I've found posts from people attempting a retrofit of the factory bi-xenons, but that can cost $2k+, which doesn't appeal to me at all. I've also seen some aftermarket projector lenses that could house an aftermarket HID kit for $300-ish, which is more in my ballpark. Replies for this not needed here, I'm still searching my options...Unless someone has a great solution you're dying to share! I also don't want to be that guy who puts HID lights into a halogen housing and blinds the rest of the world. I'll just deal with the halogens if that's really my only option.

Now on to the stereo. I've already completed the channel swap for the stereo, but in general it sucks. Not sure what I'm going to do here. I've seen the kit that upgrades everything but costs like $2300. I've also read other options, such as upgrading speakers and installing an amp. That seems like the more likely scenario for me when I get around to it.

I'm currently furloughed (since I'm a gov't employee), so I've got LOTS of free time and I'm sure I'll be lurking around the boards in a very bad attempt to not drive my car all day and burn gas I probably shouldn't be burning.

I know I've typed a lot, but all this just say Hi!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 AM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Adding a pic for those who are curious of its appearance! I know the wheels are dirty, and the Curly W was just affixed to the side to cover a couple scratches I found...it isn't there anymore, so don't think you'll be able to spot me on the road by it!

Attached Thumbnails A new (to me) N18 powered R56 has arrived!-20131004_114815.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Craig Curtis
2nd Gear
yea the base stereo does suck, I'm with you on that. I am just numb to it now, so its not high on my mod list yet. But welcome to the boards!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just drive freeway speed on a surface other than glass smooth and you'll maybe come to the conclusion that the quality of the sound doesn't matter much.... you can't really hear it. The MINI excels as a corner carver and will never touch the G for a sound stage.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 AM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2na
Just drive freeway speed on a surface other than glass smooth and you'll maybe come to the conclusion that the quality of the sound doesn't matter much.... you can't really hear it. The MINI excels as a corner carver and will never touch the G for a sound stage.
Yeah, I've noticed my share of road noise...And to be honest, the sound system in the G sucks too, since it's a base stereo. I'm not saying it's as bad as the Mini, but neither are all that great IMO. I'm going to do something with the Mini's at some point because I drive with my windows down as much as I can, and I still want to be able to hear it at 65-80 mph. My wife, on the other hand, keeps the windows up all the time so she doesn't care. I drive 110 miles per day (when I'm working), so my music is important to me since it's all that I have to keep me sane while driving through DC traffic.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats and sorry about the free time off. Yes, halogens suck and you are on the right road to a retrofit with parts from TRS.

And sound, you can piece it together but for the hassle I would honestly save up for the Integral Audio soundstage with sub. Spendy yes, but nothing out there is as nice of an install and thought out as well.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
I'd love to be able to get the Integral Audio setup, but quite frankly, my wife would probably go nuts if I tried to spend $2k on a stereo for the car...If I manage to spend that eventually, that's one thing, but dropping that kind of coin all at once is more than I can justify...even to myself...I've pieced together decent sounding systems myself for less than $500...I'm sure not to the same level as Integral, but for the time being, I'm sure that will be enough for me.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by s0n1c
I'm currently furloughed (since I'm a gov't employee), so I've got LOTS of free time and I'm sure I'll be lurking around the boards in a very bad attempt to not drive my car all day and burn gas I probably shouldn't be burning.
I feel your pain, brother!!! I'm an air traffic controller and am considered "essential" so I HAVE to work but am currently not getting paid.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Check this subforum, be sure to read the stickeys -

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...and-audio-201/

Lots of threads discussing upgrading the audio, mostly replacing speakers and adding amps. Fortunately mine came with the Harmon Karden option, sounds pretty good when I crank it up. Really nice when I'm going down a worn out interstate with Run Flat Tires..