1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member i M confused and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Minkota
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member i M confused and looking for advice

Hello all, I am from south Florida and would like some advice on my possible MINI purchase.

I currently commute about 60 miles a day round trip and am looking for a used car to replace my gas guzzler. My fist thought was to get a MINI as I have always admired them. So I stated doing some research and the more research I do the more confused I become.

I am looking to pay cash for my car and my budget will be around 6-7K and in my area that would get me into a 2004-2006.

I have read that the auto transmission is the one to stay away from and then I read just the CVT transmission is the one to stay away from so I just decided I would buy a manual transmission but then I read that the 6 speed manual transmission in the "S" models is one to stay away from too so I decide that I need to buy a base model with a 5 speed trans but then I read that I should Avoid the 5 speed and go for the 6 speed! Ugh what do I believe!!!

I also read stay away from all "S" models in the 2004-2006 range as they are plagued with supercharger/turbo issues.

Can anyone please give me some advice as to what is correct? I have talked myself out of buying a MINI but I keep coming back to it.

Please help! Thank you in advance

Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Droog
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up my '03 from the shop today after a clutch/flywheel/master cylinder replacement. I'd say you won't be able to avoid costly repairs on any MINI but they sure are fun to drive!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
w35773
2nd Gear
Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the six speed manual OR the automatic in the S.

The 5 speed in the Non-S is good after 2004.

The 2004-2006 S is great. There is not an abundance of supercharger problems, they are generally reliable as MINIs go.

The 2007+ is Turbocharged and some have problems, but that doesn't apply to your budget/model range.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Last summer I picked up an 05 Justa (base Cooper) with a manual transmission with about 70K on the odometer. Pretty much in your budget range. A similar car would make a great commute vehicle for you. Find one that has been well maintained and it should provide relative low cost fun for many years.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Minkota
Neutral
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Last summer I picked up an 05 Justa (base Cooper) with a manual transmission with about 70K on the odometer. Pretty much in your budget range. A similar car would make a great commute vehicle for you. Find one that has been well maintained and it should provide relative low cost fun for many years.
sounds good, theres not many 05's to choose from in my area. what are your thoughts on an 02-04 base with 5-speed manual? there seem to be plenty of those in my price range...

Last edited by Minkota; 07-08-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not as well thought of as the 05s and 06s but at the right price and well taken care of, would be a nice purchase.

You should be able to get a 2004 well within your budget unless it's loaded and still has relatively low miles on it.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
LindsayBee
Neutral
I have a 6 speed manual '05 S with 102k. My commute is about the same distance, and the gas mileage is pretty awesome. The only major problem I had...cost a couple of grand to fix. They aren't cheap to repair, but take care if it. You just need to take the same precautions as you would buying any other used car. It's the best and most fun car I've ever had.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minkota
Hello all, I am from south Florida and would like some advice on my possible MINI purchase.

I currently commute about 60 miles a day round trip and am looking for a used car to replace my gas guzzler. My fist thought was to get a MINI as I have always admired them. So I stated doing some research and the more research I do the more confused I become.

I am looking to pay cash for my car and my budget will be around 6-7K and in my area that would get me into a 2004-2006.

I have read that the auto transmission is the one to stay away from and then I read just the CVT transmission is the one to stay away from so I just decided I would buy a manual transmission but then I read that the 6 speed manual transmission in the "S" models is one to stay away from too so I decide that I need to buy a base model with a 5 speed trans but then I read that I should Avoid the 5 speed and go for the 6 speed! Ugh what do I believe!!!

I also read stay away from all "S" models in the 2004-2006 range as they are plagued with supercharger/turbo issues.

Can anyone please give me some advice as to what is correct? I have talked myself out of buying a MINI but I keep coming back to it.

Please help! Thank you in advance
I have an 07 R52. (still gen 1)

-I got the car in 2010 put about 45K on the car.

-6sp manual. No trouble great transmission.

- no oil leaks.

-Repairs to date include: T-Stat & gasket replace due to leak, Front rotor and pad replacement, and just this weekend replacement of two front Speed sensors.

If it is a clean car and you look carefully you should be able to score a gem. Consider that your repair and part costs are going to be more with a mini then any comparable small JDM flavor car.

you gotta pay to play so to speak.

Good luck with your choice.