1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
ChiliMiniNW
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate dilemma

Hi All,

I live in a state(OR) that requires a front license plate. I just spent extra $ on my Cooper S to add exterior chrome on the bottom grill. (I'm a jewelry designer and the chrome is like jewelry for my MINI). If I get the no hole license it will cover that up. Anyone have problems with the regular front mounted license plate on the bumper?

Thanks, ChiliMiniNW

Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the plate mount that

goes into the front tow hook bolt if important.

Or do what most higher end Euro car enthusiast drivers often do in CA: go w/out anyway. Ticketing is rare here, especially if you don't park in metered areas or if the locality has a red light camera racket going on where they really want that front plate picture and may have the meter cops try to police it and get some more revenues too. Actually I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket here during a regular traffic stop for it unless the car is obnoxiously modified like coffee can exhausts, dumb dark purple lights, dragging parts, etc. CA has no periodic vehicle inspection either except for smog.

Your choice though, and it is the law in many states. Most Oregon cars I see here--more than a few here probably illegally (and I don't condone either) to get the quasi unique no vehicle sales tax Oregon deal if you can last a year before registering in CA--do seem to have front plates, and many of them are later model and cost some $$.

Originally Posted by ChiliMiniNW
Hi All,

I live in a state(OR) that requires a front license plate. I just spent extra $ on my Cooper S to add exterior chrome on the bottom grill. (I'm a jewelry designer and the chrome is like jewelry for my MINI). If I get the no hole license it will cover that up. Anyone have problems with the regular front mounted license plate on the bumper?

Thanks, ChiliMiniNW

Last edited by MP1.6T; 06-01-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The police haven't bothered me about my missing front plates. I have an '80 MGB that has never had a front plate, it lived it's first 15 years in Portland, OR.

I've had my MINI a year, I'll wait until I get a ticket before I'll put a front plate on it, I'm not worried about it though.

Dave

Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in the Seattle area and have been pulled over no less than 10 times for not having a front plate on my Benz. I have not gotten a ticket yet. Honestly, it's just a reason for them to pull you over so they can look for other stuff.

Just don't drink and drive (shouldn't anyway) because if you do, not having a front plate will definitely draw attention to you and more than likely get you pulled over.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I have the Front and Center mounted License Plate Frame, does not bother me at all, if you're required by law to have a Front License Plate then why say..."I'm getting away with it!!", IMO that's just dumb. You can get a Platypus License Plate Frame from OutMotoring... http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...te-holder.html

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
John Richard
3rd Gear
For CA, the law basically states the front plate has to be attached to the vehicle, visable from the front and a certain distance up from the roadway, which I can't remember at the moment. So, to get around this, I display the plate from atop my dashboard, just forward of the air vent beneath the rearview mirror. It's visable from the front and not too high. I only bother about this if I park on a public street.

This was a suggestion from a retired CHP buddy of mine.

No way do I want to screw up the beautiful front end presentation of my CMS.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by John Richard
For CA, the law basically states the front plate has to be attached to the vehicle, visable from the front and a certain distance up from the roadway, which I can't remember at the moment. So, to get around this, I display the plate from atop my dashboard, just forward of the air vent beneath the rearview mirror. It's visable from the front and not too high. I only bother about this if I park on a public street.
I did this a long time ago with my first GTI and got a ticket from street parking, so I wouldn't bother. It looks pretty tacky as well.

California Vehicle Code states a height range and I think it says that it has to be clearly visible and securely fastened to the vehicle. Should only be a problem however, if you get pulled over or park on the street.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 AM
BMUN8IVE
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Richard

This was a suggestion from a retired CHP buddy of mine.

No way do I want to screw up the beautiful front end presentation of my CMS.

I tried that here in NOVA. . .got a ticket for improper display/mounting or hardware, just silly.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
erferguson26
1st Gear
I lived in Minnesota for a few years, and went with the bracket that screws into the tow cable hole. It looked OK, but if I had to do it again I probably would have just gone without the thing.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Gee, I see cars with the front tag in the window every day. I know it's some kind of fashion trend, but I think the majority of people would assume the owner just got the car used, and hadn't gotten around to obtaining the right hardware yet.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
RenoAll4
Neutral
I think it would be best to move to Nevada where the front license plate is not needed if the plate mount is not factory installed :-)

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
whtslvr
1st Gear
Don't do it. Front plates are ugly! Besides who wants holes in there new car!
Here's an idea if you must have a front plate. Saw this couple of weekends ago at a car show. "static front plate"
Guy went into kinkos and had them scan his plate and print it on a of very thin sheet flexible rubbery film.(not sure what it's called) Trimmed it down to fit. And it just sticks to the paint without any problem. Its removable too. You've probably seen "for sale" signs and other things like this. I thought it was brilliant.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
BMUN8IVE
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whtslvr
Don't do it. Front plates are ugly! Besides who wants holes in there new car!
Here's an idea if you must have a front plate. Saw this couple of weekends ago at a car show. "static front plate"
Guy went into kinkos and had them scan his plate and print it on a of very thin sheet flexible rubbery film.(not sure what it's called) Trimmed it down to fit. And it just sticks to the paint without any problem. Its removable too. You've probably seen "for sale" signs and other things like this. I thought it was brilliant.
so, are we promoting counterfeit plates? That sounds like all the more reason to get pulled then not running with one in the first place.

duplicating plates sounds like a **** ton of trouble.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Air Flow

I use the Craven Platypus mount to be legal in CA. However, the real reason I wanted the side mount was for better air flow to the radiator and IC. The center mount plate diverts air flow away from those 2 minor accessories!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
How about this?

This is just a vinyl decal.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM
whtslvr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
This is just a vinyl decal.

Is this your actual plate #'S...if s that's cool!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nobody cares or even notices where your front plate is - Just run it if that's the law - bigger things to worry about. Now MINI owners who never wash the car - that I notice.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
ChiliMiniNW
Neutral
Thanks everyone

I made my decision. I'd rather show off my chrome line and put the plate in the middle where they want it. The car is so fine no one will care, especially me.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by whtslvr
Is this your actual plate #'S...if s that's cool!
Yeah, it's my actual plate number...

Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
JCWORKS Texas Plate

Love it BMC_Kid. I'm in Houston Tx and I have JCWORX as my plate. I too wanted to do the Euro plate on the front being from Scotland and all... I guess thats a sticker, if so cool Idea. I have a Factory JCW and don't want the holes drilled out in the Areokit. I sometinmes hang with the Austin group. Email if you can stu_ratus@yahoo.com .... Im AKA JCWorx on other forums and at the HMMS site.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Also would like info on your wheels.....
Thanks,

Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for this solution:

http://www.autowerksofamerica.com/pr...-Show-N-Go.htm

Old 08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
asc63
1st Gear
I feel for you -- in PA (thankfully) we've never had front license plates, although in NJ (a mere 15 miles away) they are required.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Good read. I live in WV and we do not have front plates. We just get the one...

I ordered my car on Friday, and I have seen this missing plate issue to add character to my car by installing a UK plate on the front. Not sure how to mount it yet, need to look for a UK aftermarket mounting hardware that will not drill holes in my car.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:56 PM
soulman978
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I've always had a soft spot for this solution:

http://www.autowerksofamerica.com/pr...-Show-N-Go.htm

That is AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Front License Plate dilemma