1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered a Clubman Last Week - need some advice before delivery please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
chrisinbaltimore
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered a Clubman Last Week - need some advice before delivery please!

First off - I am very pleased with all of the information I have found here, thanks to everyone! It definitely helped with my final decision of a MINI vs another option!

I have just started the wait on a 2010 Clubman (BRG w/ silver roof, sport stripes, checkered mirrors; Prem Pkg; Cold Pkg; Fogs; Sat Radio; etc. - ordered last week) - I am anxiously waiting but still have some questions/ decisions to make:

1. I opted out of the Nav. option because I was not impressed at all with the functionality. I really like the looks of the mount with the dealer installed Garmin option but from what I can tell it only works with the 300 series units which have been discontinued. I have seen the KUDA mounts, but not quite enough info to make me comfortable. I need Nav everyday and really want a hardwired mount with a clean look that does not imply that the unit is in the glovebox - any suggestions?

2. The advisor told me it would be $250 to install the front and rear mudflaps. Sounded high so I called another MINI dealer and was quoted $122 (this is the closer dealer to my home). I already told the dealer I ordered the car from to not install them - should I just do it myself?

3. I also wanted the clear film on the front of the hood which was about $140 on the build site - the advisor quoted me $400 for installation. Any better options for this?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcme to the forum, sounds like your dealer is a bit high priced, you can install the mud flaps your self.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Congratulations and welcome to the family. The wait is difficult but the minute you lay eyes on your baby you'll forget all about it. Suggest doing the mudflaps yourself...I did on my Clubman...not worth paying for. As for the install of the clear film - if you have a local MINI club post and see if anyone has a local tint shop/installer with a good reputation. Those prices are outrageous IMHO. Good Luck to you. Can't wait to see pics!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My suggestion is to buy the mudflaps and install them yourself. The $122 quote is probably for the mudflaps, not installation. For some reason, they charge much more for the rear set vs. the front set. They are easy to install.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
chrisinbaltimore
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
My suggestion is to buy the mudflaps and install them yourself. The $122 quote is probably for the mudflaps, not installation. For some reason, they charge much more for the rear set vs. the front set. They are easy to install.
The $122 was the quote from my local dealer - not form where I ordered the car from, my MA said it was $250 there. I guess you really have to earn a deal on these???

Anyone with suggestions on the nav PLEASE???????

Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I have the Craven Speed Flexpod. There are a few different ways to mount all sorts of things from this. You remove the screw from the back of the tach and you get different shape mount points. Mine is "W" shaped and on the left is a Scangauge. On the right is a TomTom 330xls that is hardwired to the fuse box. I have to turn it on when I get in the car but it turns off by itself when I turn the car off.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 PM
chrisinbaltimore
1st Gear
Thanks Onefish2 - looks like an option for me. Did you install yourself?

What type of mount did you use for the TomTom? Do you have to mount the GPS unit and then plug in power or just slip the unit in a bracket?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
If they're doing the clear bra only on the hood $400 seems steep. You'll probably get a better deal from an independent shop, you can find one here:
http://solargard.com/Auto/Clearshield
3M has a similar product.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Welcome Chris! From my limited experience, I think others are steering you in the right direction.

I read what you stated about the GPS but just wanted to throw out as an alternative that I have a later model Garmin that I use with a bean-bag mount. The whole setup takes less than a minute to put together / talke down. Both the mount and the GPS can be stowed so there's no sign of either one if you're away from the car. It may not work for your needs, but I find it really handy as an alternative to a hard-wired option.

Good luck and Happy Motoring!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Hey there!

Good luck with the GPS and the mudflaps. I had my dealer install the clear bra before delivery. It was just easier for me. I think I paid $400 for the clear bra AND the installation.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:57 PM
BecsToy
Neutral
Hey Chris,

What dealer did you order from?

What kind of deal did you get?

We're in Salisbury, MD and are ready to order.
Can't seem to find anything on the lot that we like.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say those prices are high compared to my dealer in NJ. I just put in my order the 1st week of July, so we might be on the same boat over.

As for the protective film, you can get the 3M film or clear-bra and have it installed far cheaper at some higher end auto detailing shop or any autobody shop.