1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to place order for new MINI S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
mini54
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to place order for new MINI S

I like the turbo in the new mini S, but don't like the difficulties in getting to the oil filter. Is the super charged S which is found in the convertable easier to change oil?

In the long run after the included maint runs out, which is cheaper to service, the turbo or super charged? In addition to motors, are there any suspension, gearing & emission differences?

Also, with snow tires on all 4 wheels, how well does this car handle unplowed snow, ice? I know its not a truck, but some people here have said its excellent compared to 4x4's How true is this?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
08DSMCS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini54
Also, with snow tires on all 4 wheels, how well does this car handle unplowed snow, ice? I know its not a truck, but some people here have said its excellent compared to 4x4's How true is this?
The car should handle well on snow/ice if you get DSC. Check this out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-hHWSQhKuc

It's called ESP in the video, but just like DSC.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
mini54
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 08DSMCS

excellent report, but how does it drive in unplowed snow? I know its low to ground, but so is an audi A4 quattro, and I've seen them plow through deep snow.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
To access the oil filter on the turbo engine you have to move the coolant expansion tank over slightly. no big deal to me. Turbo is also much more effecient. The main differences you should also be considering are the body style and the interior style. If you like the supercharged better, get one before the 09's come out!! motoringfile has good articles

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
tonyeck
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 08DSMCS

OT - but great video - thanks for sharing

Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 AM
mini54
1st Gear
Originally Posted by goosefraba
To access the oil filter on the turbo engine you have to move the coolant expansion tank over slightly. no big deal to me. Turbo is also much more effecient. The main differences you should also be considering are the body style and the interior style. If you like the supercharged better, get one before the 09's come out!! motoringfile has good articles
excellent article. How is the base 6 speaker sound system in S? Is the $500 option to 10 speaker setup worth the money, or am I better off buying upgrade speakers after market?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
excellent article. How is the base 6 speaker sound system in S? Is the $500 option to 10 speaker setup worth the money, or am I better off buying upgrade speakers after market?
I struggled with that one. Read up in the 2nd generation Nav and Audio forum (read the huge sticky thread). The base system is not very good. With HiFi, you get an amp and 4 more tweeters. For the $500 you are probably better off getting the 6 speaker standard system and use the $ to buy an aftermarket amp and replace the oem speakers with component fronts and 6x9 or other coax in the rear, but you have to find a place to mount the amp and rip the car apart to replace the speakers (rears require alot of disassembly). While doing this you would also want to dynamat the car too. I opted for HiFi because I listened to it at the dealership and it sounded OK, but not "awesome" for loud music. Base system was not impressive at all. Basically the money is better spent on aftermarket, but do you want the headache of building a system? How important is loud and clear music to you? The HiFi also lacks in the bass department. My MINI is still on order, but after I get it I will probably end up adding a removeable powered sub to fill in bass. I also may end up replacing speakers too if they end up as disappointing as some others claim them to be. Other Nam'ers have had good success with replacing the speakers and using the HiFi amp, but sensitive speakers are needed because the HiFi amp is not very powerful (230 watts according to MINI.com). I may regret my decision to go with the HiFi, but the main reason I went with it was that I got DSC and the DSC computer is placed under the passenger seat exactly where an aftermarket amp would mount perfectly. I don't want an amp exposed. If you can listen to base and HiFi. If you are an "audiophile" you ought to skip the HiFi.

EDIT: Hopefully I will be satisfied with the HiFi because I really do not want to spend the money, time and trouble on replacing everything. Some people are happy with the HiFi, while others will say its total garbage....

Last edited by goosefraba; 01-22-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 AM
sunshine22
2nd Gear
A front wheel drive car will never compare to 4WD. Even a 4WD sedan w/ all season tires will do much better.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:26 AM
ahjok
Neutral
I like the turbo in the new mini S, but don't like the difficulties in getting to the oil filter. Is the super charged S which is found in the convertable easier to change oil?

In the long run after the included maint runs out, which is cheaper to service, the turbo or super charged? In addition to motors, are there any suspension, gearing & emission differences?

Just ordered a 2009 "S" cabrio for the wife. Dealer provides free oil changes for 3 years so oil filter location was not too important to us... we also ordered all-season tires for slightly better grip in the wet stuff. We drove a 2008 supercharged cabrio --nice-- but the 2009 turbomotor runs stronger and gets better MPG. An easy choice.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Last winter I had just installed Dunlop winter performance run-on-flat tires, so I had to experiment with handling in snow. In an unplowed mall parking lot with 3" - 6" and not many cars, my 2007 MCS was excellent.

Later, on a plowed highway, 4WD vehicles were fishtailing, but my MCS was straight-and-true. At a stop sign a Jeep beside me had trouble, while I pulled away. Down the block he caught up and passed me, apparently vindicated.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 AM
bartski
2nd Gear
with the first oil change not due until 15000 miles, and covered under the purchase plan, I didn't even consider how difficult filter changes may be.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 AM
cameroon
4th Gear

Unless I've missed something, the new (2009) convertible is a turbo as well. Before 2009 the S convertibles were supercharged because they were based on the 1st gen.

So if you're ordering, instead of buying off the lot, all the S models are turbos.