1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 JCW impression

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 PM
davidjwilliams
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 JCW impression

I have been driving my new 2009 jcw for about two weeks now. My old car was a 1995 sl 500. My options include dark silver metallic with silver hood stripes, black driving lights ( wish they were chrome but that is what came on it, the black looks a little cheap), carbon fiber hood scoop,mirrors, dash, and shifter, I did get the jcw alcantara steering wheel thinking it would have the cf inserts but it did not, it came with the flat silver inserts which was disappointing. I also have comfort access. This car is fast enough, it does have torque steer and slight turbo lag, neither of which is a concern.I wish I would have got the rear fog lights just so the row of toggle switches would be complete. I am satisfied with all other aspects of the car. The standard vinyl seats are great and look good. If I had not already spent 40K (tt&l included)on the car I may have got the leather, but I would suggest to skip it and get other options like driving lights ($800) or comfort access or cf parts. The stock jcw wheels are fine, no need to upgrade. The ride is a little rough over bumpy terrain but so is every other sports car. This car corners on rails and is solid in rain. I cant wait to go 150 after the break in period (1200 miles) and an oil change. My two kids 3 and 2 fit nicely in the back with plenty of room with their ollie booster seats that fit nice and neat with the latch system. The only reason I chose this car over a one series bmw was the gas milage, but now that I have the car I think it has more of an enduring quality about it, or more personality than the bimmer. Oh, I just bought one of those stubby antennas and a valentine one radar detector too. I keep thinking of what advice I would give someone who has 30 grand to spend on either a loaded mcs or a stripped jcw. I don't know I had to pay an extra 10k to get it the way I wanted but I am very happy and no regrets. I have not driven a mcs so I can not give a good comparison. Like I said before the only negatives is the cheap looking black driving lights (but I still recommed them) and the jcw wheel that did not come with the cf inserts like it had pictured on the web site. Well maybe one more thing, the dash plastic parts are a little cheapy looking but not real bad. Oh I got the 10 speaker upgrade on the stereo which sounds good but not knock your socks off. I did see an aftermarket price on the cf inserts and they were like $260 I may get them just make the inside look perfect.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
benzoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice dude Congrats on that! I am 15 years old turning 16 tomorrow on the 26th of January. I have a 2008 Mini Cooper just a regular one though, but i know the next car i am going to get really sure i am going to get a custom Mini Cooper S. Hey something on your car, thats weird though how you said it has a slight turbo lag because they are turbochargers and run by a belt. Well have a good one!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the lounge leather seats in my JCW and I am glad I got them. Sorry can't do vinyl or cloth seats. I would rather have the leather seats than the CF parts and driving lights. I do have all of that stuff on my car except for the CF dash pieces. Driving lights are nice but more showy than functional.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
Driving lights are nice but more showy than functional.
yeah, esp if U have the bi-xenons.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by benzoc
Hey something on your car, thats weird though how you said it has a slight turbo lag because they are turbochargers and run by a belt. Well have a good one!
Turbochargers are run from exhaust gases, not a belt. First generation MINI R53 S's were supercharged which does involve a mechanically driven belt.