How To Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:47 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install

Hi motorers!

Since I posted my boost gauge about 5 months ago, I receive at least 2 PM per week, so I though it might be a good idea to share the details to everybody!

The AutoMeter gauge and mounting cup come to under 70$us, with everything needed to plug it. and it matches the MINI gauges so well, it looks like it came from MINI factory!

Here are the part numbers and stuff you'll need :

**IMPORTANT NOTE : I used a 2"5/8 diameter gauge because I liked the way it would look with big MINI gauges. Someone bought a smaller gauge and mounting cup, and it didn't fit bolt-on behind the tach, so be aware that the 2"5/8 fits bolt-on, but smaller gauge might not!**

Boost/vacuum gauge (good for stock or pulley'd car since the boost limit is 20psi and the MCS engine reaches vacuum of 25-26hg-in) : ATM-4401 -- 49.88$us

Mounting cup : ATM-3204 -- 13.88$us (the last 2 installs I made, the owners bought this mounting cup, but the hole was under (not behind) the mounting cup... It's not a big deal, you just have to drill a hole behind it to get the vacuum hose through the cup... so get your drill ready lol)

Extra vaccum hose from any local auto parts stores -- diameter is 5/32" Inside Diameter (5/16" Outside Diameter) -- about 1 feet long, to leave room for mistakes! -- 2-3$us
Orange light bulb, available at your local auto parts store, using the Autometer bulb, you can find it very easily! -- under 1$us/bulb

The mounting cup fits right behing the tach using a longer screw. No hole to drill, and no mod required to the tach! I had a bunch of screws at my place, and got the right one after two tries. Then I cut it the lenght I needed and voila!

Here are some pictures :
night shot:

day shot with lights on:

day view:

side view: (note that I painted the screw in black to match... see next picture!)

view from behind: (with screw painted black)

under the intercooler view:
!!CLICK HERE FOR FOR INSTALL WITHOUT VACUUM GAIN SYSTEM (VGS)!!

To install the hose, you need to remove the intercooler, which is pretty easy! Simply remove the screws on the clamps, and slide it to the left side (when facing the car). A little force is required to remove and reinstall the intercooler, but nothing very complicated!

Once the intercooler is removed, you can access the fuel pressure regulator, between cylinder 2 and 3. Under it, there is a hose that you can disconnect. Simply connect it to the "T" fitting included with the gauge, and use the extra vaccum you bouhgt to connect the "T" fitting to the fuel pressure regulator. The other end of the "T" fitting will be connected to the boost gauge, which includes the vacuum hose needed. You can now re-install the intercooler.

The vacuum hose that connects to the boost gauge need to be run through the car's firewall's rubber seal. (near the air intake box). Use a screwdriver to punch a hole in it, and run the hose under the dash to the gauge.

**Just a quick tip to run the hose from the inside to the engine bay...

When standing in front of your MINI, look behind the intake airbox, just a bit to the left of it, and you'll see a big red wire coming through the firewall... That's the positive wire going to the battery. Take a long screwdriver and punch a hole through that gommet. You'll see the screwdriver from under the dashboard and be able to attach the vacuum hose to it... Now just pull slowly the screwdriver from the engine bay and you'll get the hose through in no time! **

To install the boost gauge mounting cup, you need to remove the tach, which is pretty easy! For security, unplug your battery. And remove the 2 screws holding the tach to the steering column. Then, unplug the connector behind it.

You can get electric power from many places... I chose to get the power from my heat seat switch, because the gauge would be dimming and light with my car's headlights. Just like a stock gauge! The negative wire can be connected to any screw under the dash. (that touches metal surface)

And voila! you've got your boost gauge installed and working for less than 70$us. And it matches so well the MINI gauges!

Feel free to add any useful infos !

--> Update : Don't try to install the gauge on the right side of the tach. The Autometer bracket will scratch your dashboard. On the left side, it fits great! I can still adjust my steering wheel's tilt. <--

--> 2nd update! I've installed a friend's boost gauge on the Chrono Pack kit (speedo/tach on the steering wheel column) and it fits right behind the tach's screw... So people with Chrono Pack or Navi can also do this mod!

Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
SPECIAL NOTE!
I'm running Andy's VGS too, so here is the detailed pics about the hoses:
** See post # 7 in this thread for a much clearer shot of the hoses installation! **

1 - the fuel pressure regulator hose that needs to be connected to one end of the "T" fitting

2 - the boost gauge's hose that runs from the engine bay (another end of the "T" fitting") to the boost gauge

3 - a VGS hose that is not needed for gauge's install ( for those without VGS)

4 - the extra hose you bought that connects the "T" fitting to the fuel pressure regulator

5 - VGS hose (not needed for those without VGS mod) that connects to the supercharger's bypass valve.

I hope this clears things up!

Also here is the rubber "seal" that you need to punch a hole through:

Larger view of it: (shot taken from the inside of the car. Look for that big red wire under the bonnet to easily spot the gommet)

Old 01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What wires are you passing through to the car? Is there a reciever unit u mount somewhere? I would really like to install a boost gauge. Also, will this gauge work well for when I move up to a 15% reduction pulley? What about a 17%?

Also how much of a benefit is it to complete the VGS on an 06? Not sure if I notice the "yo-yo" problem as much. Maybe it's a good thing to do?

Also how long of a screw do I need and what size?

Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
The gauge is a mechanical-type.. the only wire you pass through the firewall is the hose that reads boost/vacuum from the supercharger.

The gauge I suggested in my post has a boost limit of 20psi, so no problem with either 15% and 17% pulleys!

As for the screw, you'll have to do the "trial and error" method... I had a bunch of old screws at my place and got the correct one after 2 tries... You could also bring the screw to a local store and find the correct one very easily! I had to cut the screw to fit in lenght.

As for the VGS, I had some yo-yo problems and it helped a lot! My MCS is a 2003, so I'm not sure about 2006 models! Better ask Andy about this! But for more infos about it, please see the huge thread Andy made on this forum!

I hope this thread will help many people on installing a boost gauge to their car! Maybe it will make it to the "sticky" status, which would be awesome!

Old 01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
Great write up.... Thanks!

Old 01-08-2006, 04:17 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Thanks! now, vote for a Sticky status with me! lol

I'm sure many people would really like to add a boost gauge to their MCS, but are afraid of installation and cost.

I'm really not an expert, and got it installed in less than an hour, successfully. And that gauge is so much fun to watch!

Old 01-08-2006, 04:32 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
I've found a picture with only the VGS install on my MCS. It might make things easier for many people !
So don't bother with the VGS install, just look at the hose layout! It is only for helping people understand better the hoses routing, since it looks the same for the boost gauge install.

Here is the pics and details :

1 - The hose from the fuel pressure regulator (#4 on the picture), which is located right above the "T" fitting. You disconnect it from underneath, and plug it to the "T" fitting.

2 - The extra hose you bought, which reconnects the fuel pressure regulator to the "T" fitting. You only need about 6-7 inches lenght.

3 - It's the hose that you run from the "T" fitting to inside your MINI, and connect it to the boost gauge.

4 - it's the fuel pressure regulator!!

I think this picture is a lot easier to understand! (since it doesn't have 5 hoses going everywhere! lol)

Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Is there another place to take the power from, since I don't have heated seats? I would like it to remain dimable with the rest of the car is there a way to ensure that ?

Old 01-09-2006, 06:55 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Yes, you can also tap the power wire from the cigarette lighter.

But you'll needs to remove the console, which is not that hard.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I heard there is some gray and red wire, whats that about?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
The wire from under the dashboard that gets power to the lighting is a gray wire with a red tracer. It should be the exact same color scheme for the cig. lighter.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
how hard is that wire to find? do I just need to pop one of those little blue clippy things (wire tap??) on those two wires?

Everything is on order, I'm just trying to figure out about the lighting for it.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I used an "extended" bracket - basically get the same result and cost

Old 01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
That's a sweet setup too Bahamabart!

For the wire, you can also tap it from underneath the dash. Find that Grey/red wire and you're all set!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
regarding the grey/red wire - if you are working near the fuse panel 2 grey/reds can be found in one of the big wiring harness. I KNOW because I have the boost guage attached to one and the second one has black electrical tape on it!

"Choose wisely" (From Indiana Jones).

Old 01-09-2006, 11:47 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
can u post a picture of the 2 and which one you choose ? :( I need help :(

Old 01-09-2006, 12:32 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
From BahamaBart in another thread, I've found this:

Alongside of the cars inside fuse box (must remove platic) is a bunch of cables, which is infront of the fuses. Inside those are TWO GRAY w/ PINK STRIPE - one of those is the cable that handles the dash lights.

You got a 50/50 chance of selecting the right one without tools. My guage lights worked after the SECOND attempt.
I just dropped the wire down and found it easier to work there than farther up the dash near the tach. Also easy to find ground in the area

But I've seen a picture of the complete harness under the dash on this forum, not too long ago... I've tried to find it back, but didn't... :-(

Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I feel like a hunter trying to find bugs bunny. Once I get home later, I'm gonna go searching. Now if summit racing can hurry up and send me the stuff . Ohh heres a stupid question...

When I poke through the grommet with the vaccum hose where does it come out in the car? under the dash, I hope? Or somewhere I have to rip appart half the car to get to?

Old 01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
I got it!!

It's the wire sticking out of the harness... the gray/red one!

Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
Ohh heres a stupid question...

When I poke through the grommet with the vaccum hose where does it come out in the car? under the dash, I hope? Or somewhere I have to rip appart half the car to get to?
I found it easier to make the hole in the groumet from the engine side, then I passed a straighten clothed hanger thru the hole, from the inside of the car, I attached the tubing w/ tape to the clothed hanger and pulled it thru from the engine side.

You think your having fun now!
Wait until you get to hooking up to the vaccum line. It took 2 weeks for the skin to grow back on my knuckles .
I had a long surgical clamp that helped me get a hold of that line while trying to attach the T connector.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
I got it!!

It's the wire sticking out of the harness... the gray/red one!

THERES TWO OF THEM IN THAT CLUSTER

Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
sweet thanks guys. Life savers Yah I'm looking forward to this install. Wee it will be fun

Old 01-09-2006, 01:45 PM
resipsamcs
3rd Gear
Thanks for the great write-up DarkMini. I'm ready to order the parts. Any suggestions on where to buy Autometer gauges at a good price?

Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
summit racing is where i got all my stuff

Old 01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...38&postcount=9

An alternative to the tach mount boot gauge.

Quick Reply: How To Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install