Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Chewbacca in tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chewbacca in tranny?

Anyone ever experienced it? It sounds JUST like chewbacca when the clutch is about to engage. Humidity related, more when humid. Took to dealer twice, they gave me wierd looks. In for the third time for a diff. reason, i mentioned it to them, hopefully they'll catch it.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:48 AM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
If you can actually recreate the noise at will, ask to take one of the technicians driving so they can hear it for themselves. Or mount up a video camera in the car and record yourself doing it. Sometimes the technicians just don't have enough information to know what to look for/how to create the problem.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:50 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe he's in there re-callibrating your hyperdrive!!

Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 AM
haulinS
3rd Gear
yeah, I think you've been spending too much time in warp speed!
j/k hope you get it sorted out. keep us informed.
Originally Posted by jds
Maybe he's in there re-callibrating your hyperdrive!!

Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Phobol
4th Gear
Heh, thanks, I think i'll try the video camera, or will drive to dealer during a humid/rainy day. My luck is such that every time i go to the dealer the weather is purrrfect and the car acts like new.

I'm not a Star Wars fanatic, but it's the only familiar sound (that most people have heard) that could describe that noise! :smile:

D.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
This subject line of your post made me wonder if Chewy ever tried on any of Leia's gowns when he was "repairing the Falcon".

Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Mine sounds like an elephant or a harmonica.... that's how i've described it to the techs.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Phobol
4th Gear
Ah, yes, why didn't i htink of that.. What did techs say about the elephant? Did you get it resolved?
(Chances of Elephant fitting in there are even slimmer! )

Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the noise being made as you are giving it gas and releasing the clutch? Is it in all gears or just one?

Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Phobol
4th Gear
Originally Posted by golden_child
Is the noise being made as you are giving it gas and releasing the clutch? Is it in all gears or just one?
It happens in First and Reverse, sometimes in second. Yes, gas/clutch combination. It basicaly makes noise under certain pressure and slippage.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Phobol
Ah, yes, why didn't i htink of that.. What did techs say about the elephant? Did you get it resolved?
(Chances of Elephant fitting in there are even slimmer! )
I've taken my '03 MCS to the dealer who said it was a rubber hose near the engine, which they replaced. They said it was faulty and was squishy to the pinch.

Brought it in again a few months later when the replaced hose didn't resolve the noise, this time they changed out the throw-out bearing.

That still didn't resolve it... I don't hear it as often anymore maybe it's been hotter/dryer... mine does occur as you've described... humid/wet and only 1st/Revese gears, on the first drive of the day and the noise goes away soon after that.

I've scummbed to thinking it's due to the ABS warming up or whatever reason that someone explained in a different thread.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Phobol
4th Gear
Originally Posted by aminicooper
I've scummbed to thinking it's due to the ABS warming up or whatever reason that someone explained in a different thread.
Thanks for the info.. I think it's the clutch disk itself being either warped or just noisy. It's very obvious that the noise happens during friction of the clutch and flyweel, pressure plate or whatever the mechanism is. I think dealers are reluctant to fix it because they would have to take the whole tranny apart... My warranty is about to run out, and I really wanna get that fixed before I'll have to pay someone else to take my tranny apart!

D.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:47 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=clutch+noise

This is what happened to me and the dealer replaced my clutch. Some other had theirs replaced as well with the same problem. I hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:36 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would also check out this thread.....before its too late!!!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...071#post601071

Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
Thanks!!! My second was doing that since day one. It never got worse either.. though it could be related.. :( Thanks.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Phobol
4th Gear
Update!

So, my delaer went and replaced the transmission. At least that's what the work order sais. The car feels smoother and shifting is definetly like new, however, after a week and humid weather, the Chewbacca is back! Now my warranty ran out, so I'm just gonna drive around making funny noises... :( Hope it doesn't get much worse. I'm thinking of replacing the clutch with aftermarcket one, maybe that'll help. I'll keep you guys updated on any changes, though it might not be soon - financial difficulties.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
Just because you've run out of time on your warrenty doesn't mean that they don't have to fix it. You complained prior to it expiring, and they attempted to fix it. Their "repair" should be warrentied at the very least.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:57 AM
soofle
3rd Gear
Agreed Dolmanger, if you have the written documentation of a problem, whether they tried to fix it or not, and the problem still exists, you have a good case for making it a warranty issue even though the warranty is expired. The fact that they didnt solve the problem while under warranty does not excuse the problem. If it did then that would open up manufacturers to building low quality products and simply stalling for time whenever they break (not that im saying MINI does this, just a scenario) I would take it back in and ask nicely that they fix it properly, if they try to charge you for it remind them that they had a chance to fix it under warranty and didnt so its there problem now.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Phobol
4th Gear
Thanks! I was actually very stressed about it, but what you're saying makes perfect sense. I'll go back as soon as I have some time. (maybe a week)